In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

buzzard Jacks, busted knuckles and shooting!

wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
I was helping a friend pull the rear end out of his truck and used my buzzard Jack, (High Lift) to get it high enough to get it out. He had never seen one in use and I kept telling him to back up and keep his feet from under the frame ect. We got it jacked up and the rear end out, and I started to lower it when, BLAM, the jack dropped straight down. The keeper pin never went back in. That sent the handle with my hand still on it straight up and into the top of the jack, tearing out a chunk of meat about the size of a dime and ripping up the rest about the size of a quarter, taking out a vein too! (Index Knuckle). The Doc injected something into the skin to stop the bleeding, wrapped it up and said, "Go home". No stitches, my skin is too thin.

Perfect timing. My CCW is up for renewal so I brought the smallest caliber Pistol that I have right now, the 9mm. Just holding it hurts and I knew that if I shot it...

An Instructor came out with a little Ruger 22/45 and let me use it instead. 36 rounds to qualify later and my hand was all swollen again and bleeding!

Now I know why my Dad always called them, buzzard Jacks!

B.A.S.T.A.R.D Jacks, Dang spool check!
There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry one in my truck and use it often. You must be careful and keep it lubricated. Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    I carry one in my truck and use it often. You must be careful and keep it lubricated. Don

I was told to never lubricate them! Pee on them to loosen them up if you have to but never... Wait, peeing on them would be lubricating them!

I shot some WD-40 on it.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They will drop every time, when there is no weight on them. Just how they work.

Merc
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you crazed?? You never use WD40 on high lift jacks. It will leave a hard film. You must use jack oil. [:D][}:)][:D][}:)]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,572 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    glad your Ok for the most part
    I have a couple of them I have had for many years lucky never any injuries I have used from pulling fence post to even using as a jack

hope you heal up fast . it hurts just thinking about it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    They will drop every time, when there is no weight on them. Just how they work.

Merc

Now that you mention it, I forgot about the "no weight" thing! It's been awhile since I've used it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    Are you crazed?? You never use WD40 on high lift jacks. It will leave a hard film. You must use jack oil. [:D][}:)][:D][}:)]

Wouldn't Gun oil make it work faster?[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    glad your Ok for the most part
    I have a couple of them I have had for many years lucky never any injuries I have used from pulling fence post to even using as a jack

hope you heal up fast . it hurts just thinking about it

Never ever trust them! And I'm getting to old to heal fast anymore!
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen them bite several people. My dad always respected them like a rattlesnake
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you need to throw a rebuilt kit in it if it let it down while you still have pressure from the vehicle on it. Here's one from eBay for about $21

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172887283485

You are supposed to Lube them by the way. I use garage door lubricant, it comes in a spray like WD-40 but it's a dry lube so it won't attract dirt.