In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I have an addiction and it ain't what you think

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in General Discussion
Man, this is BAD, I need willpower, I need help.

I freaking love them and almost crave them over any real food.

Pork rinds, the hot ones, not BBQ.

I bought FOUR bags yesterday, I doubt they will make it through Sunday evening......This is bad news I tell you. They just don't move well through the digestive system.

I need a safe space man. I am at my addictions mercy. Lord give me strength...

Comments

• Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, Pork Rinds are my favorite also, but I prefer the plain and dip them in Tabasco sauce.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to go to Santa Fe or Mi Puebla (Mexican supermarket) to pick up pork rinds. They have three varieties. The little bits of cracking basically pork pop corn [:D]. The "sheet" that are like 12" X 12" or larger and the "Rainbow". Basically skin, fat, meat, fat, meat shaped like a rainbow. I reckon it's the bacon just hunked and deep fried.

I like the sheet since I can break my own piece and dip it in salsa. The rainbows good too but sometimes they burn it. I rarely get the cracking.

I did love the bagged stuff from the supermarkets but the price of the bag there I can get a huge bag at the Mexican joint. It's true the Mexican stuff isn't flavored but I can fix that myself.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was on an oryx hunt down near Alamogordo and stopped in at a convenience store for something. A guy came walking in and said to the Hispanic clerk, "You got any skins? I need me some skins." Clerk gave me a blank look and I said 'chicharrones.' "Ah," the clerk said, and showed him the pork rinds. Guy bought 4 bags of the hot ones and went on down the road.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a bag of the microwave hot rinds!!
    Woohoo good!
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YOU GUYS AIN'T AH HELPIN' ONE BIT! [;)][:D][:0][:D]
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red Hot Riplets (already blazing hot) drenched in hot sauce

Grey Goose Vodka and a jar of olives [:p][:p][:p]

eat enough limes and they start tasting different. like candy. highly addictive.

oyster crackers and butter

bottles of Coke frozen until they're slushy
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....best "rinds" I ever had, came from a truck stop in LA.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like hot snacks, but I'm not a pork rind guy.
    LOVE bacon and sausage, but hate pork rinds?

Anyway, I grabbed a bag of Dorito's "Bold" the other day.
    The package shows flames, and says,"Like licking a volcano.

Thy were not lying, or exaggerating.
    That stuff IS like licking a volcano!
    If you like hot snacks, try Dorito's Bold.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I confess
    my buddies ( dogs ) and I go thru our share .
    I also visit a some what local meat market ( 25 miles ) on Thursdays they butcher hogs and have cracklins ( limit one bag per )
    I do love them I am sure my heart does not fair well as my teeth [:D] nothing like a chunk of rock hard pig skin with a 1/4 layer of fat [:p] deep fried
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    I've heard fried pork skins are the new oral health enema. [:D]
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smoked almonds get me
    "What is truth?'
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    Smoked almonds get me

Now we're talking. Smoked almonds, some high end, King Arthur two layer Bristling Sardines, some crackers and some sliced sharp cheddar cheese. Nirvana.
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I have discovered Hershey's Gold candy! Sweet and salty-dang I love 'em. Wife is diabetic, so I have to hide them so I can eat all of them. [}:)]
    We go through at least 2 bags of pork rinds a week. I like mine with Tabasco.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    I've heard fried pork skins are the new oral health enema. [:D]

I was looking for the saving grace and you delivered it. Bless you my child, bless you.
  • Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No carbs, either.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Bakenets are Nothing compared to real, fresh chicharrones!
    El Modelo, a real Mexican joint, sells chicharrones by the pound all day long (since the Tortilla Factory burned down); Garcia's on 4th makes 'em a little bigger, with more meat, and the Best chicharrones are delivered to me weekly by R & R Snow cones out of Dilia, nM.

Nothing like a bowl of fresh chicharrones with some hot red chile sauce to dunk 'em in, and some homemade flour tortillas to help get the debris outta your teeth.
    Or a bean'n'chicharron burrito with a sprinkle of extra sharp cheddar.
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CAUTION KILL JOY POST Below:

Hot / Spicy foods can irritate the bladder and,,

remember, more kill joy coming up !!!

Cause frequent urges to urinate (Spicy beer being the worst)[:D]

Incontrovertible evidence.
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20540820,00.html
  • rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    THAT EXPLAINS A LOT - EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT PR'S CAUSE TROLLINGITUS
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get em here from Smithfield chicken and bar bq. Big greasy bags of them some with hunks of meat on them. The crunchy ones are good for you. They flow through your arteries and the sharp edges scrape the plack away.
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    I get em here from Smithfield chicken and bar bq. Big greasy bags of them some with hunks of meat on them. The crunchy ones are good for you. They flow through your arteries and the sharp edges scrape the plack away.

Yeah they taste good uMMMM. They are good for the brain endorphins and pleasure centers but as for the rest of the body not so much,try microwaving some bacon and make some bacon bits at least all the fat is gone just leaving the crisp bacon to eat.

serf

https://health.howstuffworks.com/sexual-health/sexuality/brain-during-orgasm2.htm

You may have heard that the brain has a pleasure center that lets us know when something is enjoyable and reinforces the desire for us to perform the same pleasurable action again. This is also called the reward circuit, which includes all kinds of pleasure, from sex to laughter to certain types of drug use. Some of the brain areas impacted by pleasure......
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by serf

Yeah they taste good uMMMM. They are good for the brain endorphins and pleasure centers but as for the rest of the body not so much,try microwaving some bacon and make some bacon bits at least all the fat is gone just leaving the crisp bacon to eat.

serf

https://health.howstuffworks.com/sexual-health/sexuality/brain-during-orgasm2.htm

You may have heard that the brain has a pleasure center that lets us know when something is enjoyable and reinforces the desire for us to perform the same pleasurable action again. This is also called the reward circuit, which includes all kinds of pleasure, from sex to laughter to certain types of drug use. Some of the brain areas impacted by pleasure......

Uh, I think you may be enjoying those chicharrones in an extralegal manner....
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    "chicharrones" New word learned for today! I've heard of hormones since I was just a lad but chicharrones sound kind of "fowl" to me![:D]
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by serf

serf

Ummmmm... Actually you're wrong about them not being healthy

Chicharrones or, more commonly known as deep fried rinds are usually seen as an unhealthy food because of its high fat content. But actually, recent studies have shown that sugar ?C not fat ?C is the major culprit of many of our health problems. On this register, cholesterol has high marks as it is actually a zero carbohydrate food.

Also, if you look at the kind of fat that??s in chicharrones, you will find that a good proportion is actually mono-unsaturated ?C the same, healthy kind of fat found in olive oil, avocados, and macadamias. Some kinds of chicharrones have as high as 40% of this ??heart-healthy?? fat.

Moreover, each 0.5 oz serving of chicharon has 8-9g of protein, making it a protein-rich food, comparable to the protein content of Greek yoghurt. Compared to the same amount of your average potato chips, chicharrones has 9 times the protein, less fat, and fewer ?C if any ?C artificial ingredients!

Chicharrones in the Philippines is usually consumed with vinegar, and this condiment also has health benefits, being a fat- and carbohydrate-free liquid. The coconut palm vinegar commonly used in the Philippines is mineral-rich, having phosphorus, potassium, iron, magnesium, sulfur, boron, zinc, manganese and copper, and may have benefits that include diabetes control.

So in conclusion, you can have worse addictions than pork rinds[:D]

By the way, I like mine and smothered in Habanero hot sauce, which is also healthy for you[:p][:p]

So while you're dumping all the fats by microwaving it, you're destroying some the health benefits of chichorrones[V]