In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

do you forget your seniors discount

remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in General Discussion
Every time I go out to eat, I forget to get my seniors discount. I knoe most places including fast food offers them, but I just forget to ask for it...

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    edited November -1
    You just don?t want the pretty cashier to know how old you are.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    You just don?t want the pretty cashier to know how old you are. ^^^^^^^^^^^^ A winner. bingo.gif
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do the same thing and Im still frosted I cant get a vets ID card from the VA. Over a year and theyjust say get in line! Gonna get it on my drivers license next time its due.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    You just don?t want the pretty cashier to know how old you are.

[:D] you got my number, don't you?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And we deserve it too! We have done so much for the world. At least we got old without falling off a cliff.

The only places I ask are places like the car wash, and I add the discount amount to the tip I leave.

Now if a car dealer offered 10%...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    And we deserve it too! We have done so much for the world. At least we got old without falling off a cliff.

The only places I ask are places like the car wash, and I and the discount amount to the tip I leave.

Now if a car dealer offered 10%...

That's exactly what I do.... When I remember to ask for one
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't qualify, yet, only 57, but three years ago it didn't stop the gal at the grocery store from deducting it from my total.
    I saw it on the display screen and told her "nope, not yet" and told her my age. Poor girl turned beet red (I love it when readheads blush) and apologized all over herself. She didn't get the inference when I told her "It ain't the years, it's the miles". Told her to look it up on youtube. She giggled and blushed again the next time I was in the store. Did I mention I love it when redheads blush?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    I don't qualify, yet, only 57, but three years ago it didn't stop the gal at the grocery store from deducting it from my total.
    I saw it on the display screen and told her "nope, not yet" and told her my age. Poor girl turned beet red (I love it when readheads blush) and apologized all over herself. She didn't get the inference when I told her "It ain't the years, it's the miles". Told her to look it up on youtube. She giggled and blushed again the next time I was in the store. Did I mention I love it when redheads blush?

Actually, a lot of places give senior discounts at age 55... And anybody of any age can get an AARP card, you can enjoy the discounts given to AARP members, but you can't participate in their insurances.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard my wife ask . but I never have, I am still in denial I will be 62 in march most days I feel and starting to look it [xx(] however some days in my mind I am still 30 [:D][:D]
  • Options
    ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    I do the same thing and Im still frosted I cant get a vets ID card from the VA. Over a year and theyjust say get in line! Gonna get it on my drivers license next time its due.

Don't have to wait till your DL is due ? just take your DD214 down to Driver's License office ? get a new picture taken and your a good to go.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    at 55 I received my "golden buckeye card" Ohio gives us old people discounts at a lot of places . I had mine two years before my wife received one again I have used it once maybe twice in 7 years my wife has used them way more than I
    I do forget about having it or asking , again my frustration of owning up to getting old I guess [:D][:D]

quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

Actually, a lot of places give senior discounts at age 55... And anybody of any age can get an AARP card, you can enjoy the discounts given to AARP members, but you can't participate in their insurances.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My best old age benefit is an electronic FREE bus card anywhere in Houston via air conditioned and heated bus. Reduced rate at 65 and FREE, FREE, FREE at seventy. Don't even need to take it out of my wallet, just press the wallet on the "target" when entering the bus.

Probably use it to go get a battery for my car if it won't take a charge.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1
    The only reason we senior's even get senior discounts is because

WE FORGET TO USE THEM!

Now just what was this post about anyway![:0]
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in SC if you make it to 85 you get 1% discount on sales tax!

REALLY I was thinking damn if they make it to 85 couldn't we go the whole banana on sales tax??!!

:)
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No discounts in FL cause almost everyones a sr! Lol
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just the opposite in Utah - we're up to our belt buckles in bunchkins. So seniors are almost a rarity. Except at the golf course on weekdays or buffet restaurants at 4 pm. Then it's wall-to-wall wrinklies.

All our restaurants offer senior specials, most stores offer a discount, and some even offer special parking spots.

At 72, I've been getting discounts for so long, I don't even notice when I do. Or don't. But a full head of white hair pretty much guarantees it.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to ask about a military discount. Most times it's shown on the receipt as "senior discount."
    I guess that keep them from having to code another discount into the system.
    Now that I'm 63 I just ask "do you have a military, AAA or senior discount?"
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Just the opposite in Utah - we're up to our belt buckles in bunchkins. So seniors are almost a rarity. Except at the golf course on weekdays or buffet restaurants at 4 pm. Then it's wall-to-wall wrinklies.

All our restaurants offer senior specials, most stores offer a discount, and some even offer special parking spots.

At 72, I've been getting discounts for so long, I don't even notice when I do. Or don't. But a full head of white hair pretty much guarantees it.

well hell at least you still have hair [:D]
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack

Had the same problem. Applied for the ID online, attached the required photo and my DD 214. Then sat and waited. After 8 months of waiting, I contacted them, via email, and was informed they could not verify my service. What? Sent another email and attached my DD214, again. Then, sent another email and attached my discharge document. Within 48hrs., or less, received an email stating my service had been verified and my ID card had been approved. In about 2 weeks, I received my ID cards.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AARP, a marketing and LOBBYING front for insurance companies. And you can damn well bet they lobby for the benefit of insurance companies and not for the benefit of seniors. Wouldn't join them for pay.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Every time I go out to eat, I forget to get my seniors discount. I knoe most places including fast food offers them, but I just forget to ask for it...

"do you forget your seniors discount?"

"Knoe." (No?)

I "knoe" dey "offers" dem. I just don't be axing for dem. [:D]

LOL............................................................[:p]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,355 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    AARP, a marketing and LOBBYING front for insurance companies. And you can damn well bet they lobby for the benefit of insurance companies and not for the benefit of seniors. Wouldn't join them for pay.
    Yep, plus they support anti-gun causes. Don't want anything to do with them.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Yep, plus they support anti-gun causes. Don't want anything to do with them.

Another Yep.
    I'm 63 and many people tell me to join, that's when I go down
    the list of things they support.
    [:(!]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for the partial thread hijack, but I laugh my dangly bits off when I hear "The only _____ recommended by AARP" in the TV ads. That's because whatever they're pushing is OWNED by AARP. So it's hardly an objective recommendation. Insurance, phone service, security devices, you name it, AARP has their disguised fingers clutching it.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I must be getting old, they just look at me and give me the discount.
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started getting senior discounts at 57. What's left of my hair was white by then. I didn't ask but if they discounted the price I didn't argue.
    Who needs the VA vet card? I just went to the Secretary of State(DOT) with my DD-214 and was done in ten minutes. Vet endorsement on DL works just as well.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fugawe
    I started getting senior discounts at 57. What's left of my hair was white by then. I didn't ask but if they discounted the price I didn't argue.
    Who needs the VA vet card? I just went to the Secretary of State(DOT) with my DD-214 and was done in ten minutes. Vet endorsement on DL works just as well.

Does that work at the VA?

I need to get certified.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my dad hated aarp and i have come to understand why now many years later....just a siphon on seniors money...pretending to help
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also finally got sick and tired waiting for my Military I.D. from Wisc. Went down to the county office and got a few sheets of paper work took them over to the DMV and got a "veteran" marked drivers license[^]
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

[red]I DO NOT support the AARP as they are very ANIT-2nd AMENDMENT!!![}:)][}:)][}:)]

[}:)][}:)][}:)]/red]

They also supported obamacare.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1
    Getting a senior discount at a restaurant, then get carded for my ID buying beer at the party store next door.[:0]

OH What AN EGO boost![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood
    Getting a senior discount at a restaurant, then get carded for my ID buying beer at the party store next door.[:0]

OH What AN EGO boost![:D]

They knew you qualify for a senior discount on the beer, they just didn't want you to ask for it so they would have to give it to you[;)]