In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Auto *Performance chips"

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
Do they really boost gas mileage? Horsepower?

I'm trying to figger out if it is all hype since they only cost about $25. I would think the car companies would build this in to their computer chips. Assuming they work, even a little, are there any issues?

Anyone have any experiene with the chips?

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    From what I hear, its all you need to make your Maxima into a supercar.[:o)]
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever you see for $25 is not a real chip.

Chipping a vehicle is more along the lines of an ECU Reflash now, not like inserting an actual "chip".

Typical systems run about $300-500 and up.

Yes they do free up some power and change the shift points around to give you better mileage. Some even have a programmer that stays in the vehicle and you can change settings on the fly. Good for the weekend racer and someone who tows quite a bit.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The "chip" or box that I want to install on my truck is closer to $800...I'm not sure what you'll end up getting for $25...perhaps the shipping charges.?.?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid

Oh no you didn't!
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    Bullydog in the Cummins.
    Stock is 350 HP, with the software 450

Superchips Cortex in the Daytona.
    a few other things puts it a 400hp

Diesels benefit much more from these programmers than others. Especially those with the new fangled exhaust "fixed".

A buddy of mine had an 09 Cummins 3500 Dually, power boosted up to 657hp and over a 900lb ft of torque. Exhaust, induction, chip.

The Tuner for my Tundra is around $800 and would up output to just shy of 470hp and 460lb ft. WOW!
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those $25.00 chips just fool the ECU into thinking the motor is running cold, so more fuel is dumped into the cylinders. Stay away from them. They kill gas milegae and hurt the motor, as you are running too much fuel for actual operating conditions.

If you want better performane, you have to open up the 'airways (less restrictive air intake, ported intake manifold runners/throttle body, and exhaust manifold/pipes). Then get a high-perf programmer that can tune your ECU to maximize fuel efficiency along every point on the RPM range.

True high-Performance involves a LOT more than dropping in a "chip"....