In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This has been a bad day, ALL WEEK.

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in General Discussion
I went to the County Shelter this morning and told the young lady I was just there to visit my dog again. The plan was I was to adopt him Tuesday. She said she had some bad news for me. The owner showed up this morning and took his dog. I maintained my manly exterior and didn't cry, but I damn sure felt like it.

I feel bad about this and I feel guilty about feeling bad. The logical side of my brain tells me the family or individual who own the dog will instantly recover from their grief and the dog gets to go back to the people he loves. Another good thing that came of this is it gave DBV the push he needed to save a beautiful little dog.

I spent the day touring the dog jails.
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• Options
    Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may not realize it but you also let that Canine-American know somebody cared enough to visit him in the Slam.

Bud of mine has a shop a block from the City Pound, and passes out a box of treats every week. Ladies who work in a large office building down the block get their exercise walking pups who are doing time, and everybody stops at Mikes.

Haste makes for bad decisions. The right Canine-American will find you. Your job is to let it happen.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You next dog is out there waiting...

For a warm hearth and a warm heart.

Mike
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree both a good and sad ending
    there is countless buddies out there looking for a great home
    I am sure you will bond with one soon .
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    James, check online Petfinder.
    Also, Kraigslist.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    James, I hope you find what your looking for. Take the time to grieve and don't push yourself. If you really want a new friend, I will send you my wife's Chihuahua. The dog comes with the wife, a son and three cats. I will throw in the litter box and leashes for free.[;)]PS, the animals are house broken, the wife and kid, not so much.[:D] Oakie
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a suggestion, James, but could you volunteer at a shelter for awhile and test drive some furry friends?

A friend who lost his Lab to cancer didn't want to get another dog right away, but wanted to be around dogs and what he calls their Tongues of Healing. He volunteered at a shelter to walk and exercise the critters.

After a month or so, he came home with the dog that had chosen him.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,026 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    You next dog is out there waiting...

For a warm hearth and a warm heart.

Mike
    +1,,,
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,026 ******
    edited November -1
    Hang in there,my friend.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makailas dog Akira has relieved me of some of the pain and stress that I am saddled with.

The dog knows I am sick - and knows when the pain is bad.

It's much related to hardwired pack behavior and social ranking - obligations..

I will sit with him on the bathroom floor after being violently ill until late I stop shaking and can make it back to the couch.

Of course causing him distress and making Mak cry causes me much stress and is disheartening.

Find your dog - soon - don't wait.

Mike
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    Just a suggestion, James, but could you volunteer at a shelter for awhile and test drive some furry friends?

A friend who lost his Lab to cancer didn't want to get another dog right away, but wanted to be around dogs and what he calls their Tongues of Healing. He volunteered at a shelter to walk and exercise the critters.

Just a thought.

My daughters volunteer at some rescues and think I am a cold hearted SOB for not letting them bring one home every week. Umm honey, I just spent $500 on the one dog we have's shots and heartworm meds. You can have another dog or I can pay your college tuition. Pick one.... (And they want to breed our Golden and keep a puppy, that I can go for but only if they take the puppy when they move out....)
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

Just a thought.

My daughters volunteer at some rescues and think I am a cold hearted SOB for not letting them bring one home every week. Umm honey, I just spent $500 on the one dog we have's shots and heartworm meds. You can have another dog or I can pay your college tuition. Pick one.... (And they want to breed our Golden and keep a puppy, that I can go for but only if they take the puppy when they move out....)
    ....all you'll be doing is increasing your household...Grand Dogs![:D]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look on the upside... The Dog you get hit the Lottery.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    James, I hope you find what your looking for. Take the time to grieve and don't push yourself. If you really want a new friend, I will send you my wife's Chihuahua. The dog comes with the wife, a son and three cats. I will throw in the litter box and leashes for free.[;)]PS, the animals are house broken, the wife and kid, not so much.[:D] Oakie
    Now Oakie... James don't need your entire household... Just the dog!
    Although... I might try and strike up a deal with James on my own.

James... Do you care to have an irate son's girlfriend to go with that dog?
    If so... Do I have the deal for YOU!!!! [^]
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Just a thought.
    What a great idea!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dads3040, that's a good idea for some people but I'm afraid I'm not one of them. I like to think of myself as not very emotional, but the truth is I get attached to dogs fairly easily. After a month or two of watching them come and go I'd turn into a little girl. I don't think anybody would want that.

I told one of the young ladies at the Halifax County Shelter I'm glad there are people who do that kind of work but I couldn't do it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I filled out an online application for this little girl today. She is a shepherd/terrier mix. We shall see what we shall see.

Shepherd%20Terrier%20Mix_zpsd7bts5f7.jpg
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    she is a cutie
    good luck

my wife suggested at one time we volunteer at the local shelter ( we did donate $$ to them but they closed up to poor management )
    I told her we both have to soft a spot for dogs ( well cats sometimes [;)] ) we would be trying to brig them all home , so not a good idea just keep donating food treats and $$ to the shelters avoid the personal contact [:D]
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fine looking pup
    Good Luck
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Real Cutie.

Hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    our 2 rescue buds are family...you will know the right one
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,954 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She could go home with me, and I am a cat guy. Sometimes the right one takes a little time.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    James-as I get older,seems like I become more of a fatalist. Seems like things happen for a reason, put it down to Gods will, or just fate. We have some control, but not as much as we think. I expect that what has happened, is with a reason, and a better soulmate waits for you. God bless you my friend. Tender hearts are a rare and valuable thing these days.

Peace

Dan
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She is cuter than my first wife, James!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That little gal has some 'Bright Eyes', James. A sing of smart dogs and kids. Good luck with her.

I do understand what you mean about the shelter. I am not sure I could do it, because like you, I get attached to dogs way faster than people.

I know it worked for my friend, and the dog that chose him has a great home.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    James Heres a Nice Fella if you Have no li'l Children

Just Change the K to a c

https://images.Kraigslist.org/00A0A_jNYd7P4BtLn_600x450.jpg