In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What would you do?

13»

Comments

• Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Oklahoma yes ou can shoot and the law is on your side. Your vehichle is like your home.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Since they removed "fleeing felon" from the list of justifiable homicides if you shoot him after he has driven away would be a problem unless you shoot him in the fracas.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on where you live...in some states it would be perfectly legal to shoot him in the back as he is riding away....besides, it will be your story against his...and he wont have much to talk about.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds painfull to get shot "in the fracas" but would be justifiable.
  • Options
    o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Ya can't shoot anyone for a Property Crime."

well you can in Texas, [:D]
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,661 ******
    edited November -1
    My bike is so fast, he would probably be out of range before I could draw.[8D]
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I would let him drive away as I am no
    longer in danger.
    Now if it was my home, I"d have to think on it.
    Nope, nobody's life is worth a motorcycle.
    If he made advances toward my wife or kids.
    I'd be pretty "angry".
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,376 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    Nope, nobody's life is worth a motorcycle.
    And that right there is why our country/society is heading toward(already in)the garbage can IMO. My motorcycle is worth anybody's life if they're taking it.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Conceal carry is not legal in Illinois unless you are a Chicago alderman.

This scenario will not happen in Illinois.
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It takes two hands to start a bike and get it moving. He had to holster his weapon at some point before he rode off. Just knock him over and if he gets up and goes for his weapon, simply shoot him.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let him have it. Not worth the lawsuit/court/possible lib jury experience. Call the insurance, and go shopping for the latest.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forkliftking
    It takes two hands to start a bike and get it moving. He had to holster his weapon at some point before he rode off. Just knock him over and if he gets up and goes for his weapon, simply shoot him.

I'd consider kicking him into a puddle when he hit the ground, before he could get his gun back out. Then hop in and stomp it dry.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Montana - SSS !!!
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Never been in that situation, hope I never am, so I can't say for sure. No man really knows until confronted with such a thing. That said, I do not believe I would take the life of anyone, unless there was an active threat involved.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Sounds painful to get shot "in the fracas" but would be justifiable.

I've been kicked in the fracas and it's very painful. [xx(][B)]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    SUBCHAPTER C. PROTECTION OF PERSONS
    Sec. 9.31. SELF-DEFENSE. (a) Except as provided in Subsection (b), a person is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force. The actor's belief that the force was immediately necessary as described by this subsection is presumed to be reasonable if the actor:
    (1) knew or had reason to believe that the person against whom the force was used:
    (A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor's occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment;
    (B) unlawfully and with force removed, or was attempting to remove unlawfully and with force, the actor from the actor's habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment; or
    (C) was committing or attempting to commit aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery;

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
    (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
    (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
    (3) he reasonably believes that:
    (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
    (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious * injury.
    Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    It was quite likely a HD, so no problem.

But a Triumph instead.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    Depends on where you live...in some states it would be perfectly legal to shoot him in the back as he is riding away....besides, it will be your story against his...and he wont have much to talk about.

Exactly what state would allow someone to shoot anyone in the back and kill them?
    When someone has their back to you and is running away from you the "threat" to is presumed to be ended and so is your right to use deadly force. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    that's why i have insurance, only amount of time i will have to spend with police is making a report, no court or attorneys fee's, my name will go unpublished

so go head shoot someone in the back, your going to need the insurance to pay up for him wrecking it anyway, and hopefully your a good enough shot not to miss under the stress, and hit a bystander with a bullet or a motorcycle that is out of control because you just killed the driver
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Exactly what state would allow someone to shoot anyone in the back and kill them?

Exactly...Texas!

Straight out of the Texas Penal Code:

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
    (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
    (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
    (3) he reasonably believes that:
    (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
    (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious * injury.
    Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
  • Options
    PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A J Christ

Posted on another forum (motorcycle).

I just cut and pasted.

Say somebody wearing a full face helmet comes up to you after you have just put the keys in the ignition, pulls out a handgun and asks you to dismount and back away and after you have done so, starts the bike and rides away.

If you are also carrying a handgun, can you legally shoot the thief in the back and kill him, without being prosecuted by the police.

I know every state has different laws, so this is directed to people who live in one where it is permitted to carry a handgun on ones person.

You can always dismount like the suspect asked but take the keys with you, the suspect never asked for the keys just the bike, and now you have something to barter with or pull your own piece while the suspect is busy trying to start the bike w/no keys.[B)]

Then if the suspect pulls his piece and threatens you again you can shoot him where ever you want as he's re-armed himself.

Just a thought in this hypothetical situation.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some places you'd be a hero, some places you'd be a criminal. As much as I'd like to drop him, and as much as he needs dropping, it just ain't worth the hassle.

I wouldn't fault anybody else for doing it. If I were on the jury, even in Chicago, you'd go home at the end of the trial.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Motorcycles are dangerous.

He'll eventually kill himself.
  • Options
    HooverTacticalHooverTactical Member Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not shoot a man in the back as he fled.

I don't care if it would be legal or not legal, I just would not do it.

The only way I would shoot another human being is if I literally thought I had no choice and my death or the death of someone else was imminent were I not to.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    :/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shooting_controversy

Joe Horn: "I've got a shotgun; do you want me to stop them?"

The Pasadena emergency operator responded: "Nope. Don't do that. Ain't no property worth shooting somebody over, O.K.?"

Mr. Horn said: "But hurry up, man. Catch these guys will you? Cause, I ain't going to let them go."

Mr. Horn then said he would get his shotgun.

The operator said, "No, no." But Mr. Horn said: "I can't take a chance of getting killed over this, O.K.? I'm going to shoot."

The operator told him not to go out with a gun because officers would be arriving.

"O.K.," Mr. Horn said. "But I have a right to protect myself too, sir," adding, "The laws have been changed in this country since September the first, and you know it."

The operator said, "You're going to get yourself shot." But Mr. Horn replied, "You want to make a bet? I'm going to kill them."

Moments later he said, "Well here it goes, buddy. You hear the shotgun clicking and I'm going."

Then he said: "Move, you're dead."

There were two quick gunshots, then a third.

"I had no choice," Mr. Horn said when he got back on the line with the dispatcher. "They came in the front yard with me, man."

The 9-1-1 call ended about 80 seconds after the shots were fired, when officers arrived on the scene.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HooverTactical
    :/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shooting_controversy

Joe Horn: "I've got a shotgun; do you want me to stop them?"

The Pasadena emergency operator responded: "Nope. Don't do that. Ain't no property worth shooting somebody over, O.K.?"

Mr. Horn said: "But hurry up, man. Catch these guys will you? Cause, I ain't going to let them go."

Mr. Horn then said he would get his shotgun.

The operator said, "No, no." But Mr. Horn said: "I can't take a chance of getting killed over this, O.K.? I'm going to shoot."

The operator told him not to go out with a gun because officers would be arriving.

"O.K.," Mr. Horn said. "But I have a right to protect myself too, sir," adding, "The laws have been changed in this country since September the first, and you know it."

The operator said, "You're going to get yourself shot." But Mr. Horn replied, "You want to make a bet? I'm going to kill them."

Moments later he said, "Well here it goes, buddy. You hear the shotgun clicking and I'm going."

Then he said: "Move, you're dead."

There were two quick gunshots, then a third.

"I had no choice," Mr. Horn said when he got back on the line with the dispatcher. "They came in the front yard with me, man."

The 9-1-1 call ended about 80 seconds after the shots were fired, when officers arrived on the scene.

Joe Horn was acquitted... I would shoot someone if I was in the right frame of mind. In the end it all comes down to what all crap I have put up with and who would get the short straw. I wouldn't be caught dead on a motorcycle...but I work HARD for everything I have. Who knows what I would do???
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    quote:Originally posted by HooverTactical

Joe Horn was acquitted... I would shoot someone if I was in the right frame of mind. In the end it all comes down to what all crap I have put up with and who would get the short straw. I wouldn't be caught dead on a motorcycle...but I work HARD for everything I have. Who knows what I would do???

If someone were stealing my car/bike/whatever I would be furious and feel like hurting the person. But I know people who have had to use deadly force, and it is always a hard thing to live with. I would personally just need the story to be something like "he was breaking into my home and I feared for my family" not "I shot him in the back as he drove away"

I truly understand why someone would might fire in that situation though
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    As He Is Starting the Bike Shoot him In The Skittle Bag
    [:D]