In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

County LEO's Enter

worstenemy453worstenemy453 Member Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
Do you like your job ?

Im 18 so i have a few more years to think about it but i think being a county cop might be nice. I live in a small country type county. How do you guys like being county cops.

I hope there are some county boys here lol.

Comments

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    With a name like "WORSTENEMY" you should fit right in!![;)]
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really enjoy it. Most of what we do is service based, not enforcement based. It's something different everyday. You will need to have a lot of common sense, a good sense of humor and good people skills.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have great people skills. Most of the cops that have pulled me over for stuff didnt unfortunately. That is one reason i want to be one, i want to show people that not all the cops around here are azzholes. I have common sense i guess, ive done things to make you think twice but im more mature now than i used to be.

Around here i would guess that it is more service based but im not 100% sure.
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    I never liked the idea of being limited to one bullet. [xx(]

It was for your own good! And everyone elses'.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have not been an LEO for about 30 years. But I do live in a rural county, that has (IMHO) REALLY good peace officers. Yes, they DO arrest people. Yes, they write traffic tickets. They also spend a lot of time simply dealing with the public. Seeing that Granny who lives alone is doing OK. Calling Charley's daughter to come get him from the grocery store (Charlie is in the early stages of Alzheimer's, and gets confused- but all the folks know Charley, and try to look out for him) Talking to the 16 yr old with the filthy loud mouth at the Mickey D's (Do I need to call your folks?)

Couple of years ago, we lost a deputy. Work related traffic accident. We also lost the little league coach, and a member of the church choir, and a father of two little kids- since they were all the same person. His funeral was held at the High School- only place that could hold the 2000 people that showed up.

Do small departments have problems? Oh yeah- staffing, funding, equipment- and when you DO need a backup, he is 25 miles away. But kids at the local 4th Friday concert smile and wave at you.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most departments won't let you carry your own "ASSAULT" weapon, and most well require you pass a mental health exam. Just saying...[;)]

Try joinging the militray first. If you get through boot camp you might be able to cut it.[^]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've worked for a county, some small towns and a larger city. I enjoyed the county the most. You do have to have good people skills and wits, your back-up may be at home in bed. The cons are low pay and lack of the big city thrills. On the otherside of the coin you do have the thrills of running across the county to a crash and probably working your own cases.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont really think i want to join the military but id like to give back to my community. I also will have my real estate license and do other things in my spare time so a lower pay wouldnt bother me. I dont want to be a cop just to get a pay check anyway.
  • Options
    dthhaldthhal Member Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I have great people skills.

Really? I seem to remember some posts of yours that dont quite fit that statement. The one on "assault" weapons come to mind.

That said, I dont think your cut out for LE. Especially with your views on firearms. We dont need any more JBT's calling an AR or AK and "assault rifle".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dthhal
    quote:I have great people skills.

Really? I seem to remember some posts of yours that dont quite fit that statement. The one on "assault" weapons come to mind.

That said, I dont think your cut out for LE. Especially with your views on firearms. We dont need any more JBT's calling an AR or AK and "assault rifle".

Blanket generalizations at their finest. I didnt know calling them that was frowned upon, now i do. Do you feel better now that you have brought that up yet again. This forum has nothing to do with people skills. I bet half the people that have been an * to me because i can an AR an Assault rifle wouldnt be an * in person because its disrespectful, it seems even with supposedly mature adults that once they get behind the keyboard and monitor that they can say whatever that want. And thats fine.
  • Options
    dthhaldthhal Member Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See. Opinion still stands. You cant take criticism.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Worstenemy,

With all due respect intended, it's not that anyone wants to criticize you, or taunt you; well maybe a little bit, but it is mainly a maturity factor.

Don't take this wrong, but most of your post reek of immaturity. Just about everyone around here has been or is a veteran, owned their own business, an LEO, or a public servant of various sorts. There are not many 18 year old college students around here who start out asking questions that can pin them down quickly for what they are.

From reading your post ether you are a young teenager who is egger to learn, trying to garner information for a final exam, member of an anti gun group, or a beat writer for a liberal rag.

Considering you are being truthful with us about whom & what you are, you might try asking some of your questions over on the Experts forum. They might be more willing to take the time to educate the unknowing.

But, to answer your question NO, I don't like my job. After 34 years as an LEO if I ever have to put one more teenager in a body it will be too soon.[V] I have not had a pay increase for over three years, and now I won't see one for another two. Hope I will be retired before then.[}:)]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO....your best path is getting a Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice if you want to have a career that will move you up the ranks. This atleast applies in the region where I work. Military experience is good, but having a Degree makes you more competitive.

I base this on my own experience, I am sure others will argue it, but having a College Degree helped me be that much more competitive and helped me pass military guys on the way up the ladder. I feel I've done fairly well making Lieutenant in under 10 years at my current Agency. The new Corporals and Sergeants that we are promoting either have a Degree or are working very hard to complete their Criminal Justice Programs.

It is a good career, has it ups and downs like any other. It does require a commitment that a lot of other jobs don't require, but that is becoming less and less as we are a 24 hour society (IE weekends and holidays).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im 18, just out of high school and not going to college. College isnt my thing. If i dont be a cop ill be a diesel mechanic. If i get tired of being a mechanic, ill start hauling cars full time. I cant sit behind a desk.