In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hitchcock and Muzzy

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Folks, I have a freind who has an old percussion muzzleloader and there are very minimal markings on it. The only thinf I have found without removing the barrel is a very faint "Hitchcock and Muzzy" stamping on the right hand side of the barrel. I have added a few (poor quality) pictures below. He was suppose to have provided me with some pictures, but has lost his cord or something and was not able to provide them.
Long story short, the rifle was his dad's and he would like to know a bit more about it including value. I don't know much about old firearms like this, but doubt there is much value. The stock does have some very nice metal, and the rear sight in one of the pictures is definately small to try to look through.

Anyway, please let me know what you think.

Thank you,

Aaron

[img][/img]downsize_7_.jpg
[img][/img]downsize_9_.jpg
[img][/img]downsize_10_.jpg
[img][/img]downsize_11_.jpg
[img][/img]downsize_13_.jpg
[img][/img]downsize_14_.jpg
[img][/img]downsize_8_.jpg

Comments

• fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I can't tell where one pic starts and the other ends..If that is a ramp type "buck horn" rear sight,looks to be twisted out of square,to me..
  • upjumtddeblupjumtddebl Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hitchock and Muzzy were listed as barrel makers located low Moor,New england apx.1840 and sold high grade barrels to independent riflesmiths. they may not have built the rifle itself. the two rear sights and the heavy barrel suggest it was built for target or chunk gun shooting. its a prize IMHO. Thats all I've got