In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Letter to Gooberment mouthpiece..

crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
I did not get angry or vulgar because that tends to eat away at any credibility, but I sent this to my local congressman who voted Nay the first time around on the bailout....

Dear Sir,
I believe long ago my Grandfather cursed me by saying "may you live in interesting times". Sure enough I think most would agree that our current predicament is interesting. With regard to wall street and any proposed bailout I must urge you to vote against any measure concerning this issue. For four years now I along with my wife have been living below the poverty line, four years before that I was serving as a C-17 Loadmaster in the Air Force. I was fully qualified three months before 9/11 and have taken part in every major operation from the HDR drops in Afghanistan, to the First battle of Falujah. I am presently very aware of the fact that times may get much harder if our current situation is not remedied somehow, but I am also very aware that for me and many of my friends the times have already been hard, and so we are prepared for them. For those on Wall Street who have been enjoying the good times for the last decade it is time for them to face the consequences of their greed. To use me as an excuse in order to bail them out so it will benefit me is something I will not stand for. So far I have sent my resume out well over 300 times to various employers all over the country, and in return I have gotten two nibbles. I lack the degree and often the experience most companies require due to the fact that my service in the military does in reality count for little. So unless you are willing to hire me, the likelihood of my future will indeed be bleak for the next few years anyway while I complete my degree. Now another concern of mine is the issue of narrow vision with regards to the future. To bail out wall street now would in now way guarentee and end to the so called crisis, more regulation is needed because like anarchy, and free market is doomed to fail along with this silly notion of "trickle down economics" Every experiment with "trickle down" and free markets have led to major problems at the expense of the middle class. Anarchy and free markets are great, as long as you are benefiting from them. Otherwise your life sucks.
In a few years maybe 20 or so the fact of the matter is you most likely will be dead, I will most likely be living up to the promise of being a burden to my children. The question I have to ask is what will happen to things like social security and medicaid 20 years from now when it already consumes so much of our current budget. With the next generation of ample retirees what is going to happen, and how is it even concievable that the government will be able to cope with the stresses then, if we are still digging our way out of this mess..... The day of reckoning is coming whether we face it now or later, and what bothers me the most is that it appears that congress in general have a hard time seeing past their next re-election, much less the vision and the ability to walk across and isle, and god forbid handle a problem of this magnitude rather than leave it for our children to clean up. This speaks to the credibility of our government, and its ability to serve the American people. With approval ratings at an all time low, both parties are scrambling it seems to preserve their positions, the voters have expressed outrage over having to bail out wall street, and rightly so. I think we all know that there are hard times ahead regardless, but we also have lost a great deal of confidence in a government that has been plagued by one mismanaged disaster after another. Who has squandered the trust and goodwill of the American people with deceit, with lies, and stubborn denials of those pesky little facts. From the people who brought us Iraq, Katrina, Enron, and now Afghanistan, and this so called crisis, they are now asking for another 700 BILLION, to help those who have been helping themselves this whole time. No I think Americans have been distracted with their bread and games for far too long, and it is time for wall street to join in on some of the suffering. My son is four months old and I fear he will be the one to pay for this bailout much more than I will.
I sleep comfortably knowing that someday I will have a job that pays well for my experience and intelligence which outstrips a great many. What gives me comfort is that I will have earned whatever I have.