In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beef Jerky

beffabeffa Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
Went to the grocery store and they had Chuck Roast on sale (buy one ger one) so I thought I'd make some jerky.

Anyone have a good recipe for the marinade? I like regular flavors and sweet like teriyaki too.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am going to try making jerky for the first time tonight. I have a bunch of venison but for the practice batch I want to use beef. My question is this, what is the best cut to make jerky out of? I'll be cutting whatever I get into thin strips and using the oven to dry them out.

Thanks in advance for the tips! [:D]

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    About a week or so ago I was talking to my brother on the phone. He asked me if I have made any jerky lately. I told him I probably haven't made any for about two years. He said he just made a batch. He didn't know how much beef he started with, but he wound up with about twenty pounds of jerky. I told him I know he makes pretty good jerky, but it's nowhere near as good as what I make.

Today when I went to the mail box, you could have knocked me over with a hammer. He sent me about four pounds of jerky and the duffas included a 1.5 ounce pack of store-bought jerky so I could see what his jerky is better than. [:D]

Truth is the boy makes better jerky than I do, but don't tell him that. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where can I find the real stuff to buy?
    Not proccessed, but the real thing?
    Any good links on the internet?
    I found this place, but I never oredered here..

http://www.jaysjerky.com/?gclid=CNDlpcq-yaUCFRhO5QodGQpFYA

Thx
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cabla's catalog had some in it. pepperridge farms sold some once.

i make my own its the olny way to go with the price of that stuff.
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Not knowing what state you live in ,it is hard to make a suggestion .
    I get mine from The Old Smokehouse in Greenpond Alabama .
    Don't know if they have a website ,but they have the best that I have found !
    When I go to Tuscaloosa ,I always carry a cooler and a wallet full of cash ![:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i wish i could find the real good stuff.
    from what i have read in the past, it takes alot of work to smoke good meat. i dont want to do the oven w/ smoke flavoring thing.
    i did buy some good jerk when I lived in Vermont. made the old fashioned way. that is what i want, and will pay for.

thx 4 your quick reply!

I am in Connecticut

~~
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beffa
    i wish i could find the real good stuff.
    from what i have read in the past, it takes alot of work to smoke good meat. i dont want to do the oven w/ smoke flavoring thing.
    i did buy some good jerk when I lived in Vermont. made the old fashioned way. that is what i want, and will pay for.

thx 4 your quick reply!

With the new electric smokers it isn't as hard as it once was. Jerky is expensive and if you eat, or give away alot it would pay for it's self pretty quick. Also you can make it anyway you want and you can use the smoker for other things as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    any good website on how-to-make your own..?
    i do have some excellent beef in the freezer and a place to make some, but this would be my first attempt.

thx agn for the replies.
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    make your own
    that would be dangerous if i did that...love that jerky!
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beffa
    any good website on how-to-make your own..?
    i do have some excellent beef in the freezer and a place to make some, but this would be my first attempt.

thx agn for the replies.

Google.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    U don't really need a smoker to make good jerky.All U need is a dehyrdator. Their pretty cheep and reliable.Pays for it's self in 2-3 go-rounds!!
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    How do you save money making your own ?
    I tried it and found that the more I made ,the more I ate ![:p]
  • Options
    mk19mk19 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Uncle Buck's brand at Bass pro Shops is also very good, but nothing beats home made jerky
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There used to be a processor a few miles NW of Bozeman Montana that made some dandy jerky. It was real slab jerky not the ground meat crap most places make. Last time I was there, we bought some that was a little on the rare side and talk about stinky roadtrip. Whoo Wee the air in the pickup cab turned blue about Rapid City and stayed that way all the way to DesMoines where I got out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    U don't really need a smoker to make good jerky.All U need is a dehyrdator. Their pretty cheep and reliable.Pays for it's self in 2-3 go-rounds!!

That's right, but he wanted good old fashion jerky so I thought he may want a smoker.

Anyone got a web site for him. Heck I make mine different everytime it and I do not want to mess him up trying to use my non-recipe, recipe.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nodines in Goshen CT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thx for that place in CT. I chked out their website. I may just order a bag to try.

thx agn for all your great replies.
    i will investigate some website recipe links.
    have a safe & happy holiday!

~~