In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stocks Markets Mutual funds & gold stocks

o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
I am sure most gun guys here also watch the markets in all of the above

My question would be markets overall are going down, iff an investor had a mutual fund that was only silver & gold stocks..
what are the chances that it could be safeer than just the market
of a basket of all the things on the stock market?

any thoughts or knowledge

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Dang am I the only one who thinks about something other than Guns?
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gold up $63.00 today.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by djh860
    gold a silver has been falling sharply.

Yeah? Last I saw gold was up about 50 bucks.

And both wind up in the ditch.

Clouder..
  • Options
    BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi....I'd never invest in a fund of only gold and silver stocks. I invest in the stocks of dividend-paying blue chip American companies. Mutual funds have too many ways to siphon off the real profits, leaving the fund investor with little to show for his investment, while the fund managers get RICH ! IMHO, most investors in mutual funds are too lazy to research the best companies to invest in, thus paying the heavy prices to managers. There are plenty of places to research companies for those willing to put in the effort to find where to place their investment. Or.....find a broker willing to help you make intelligent purchases to meet your investment goals. BT
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

http://www.kitco.com/charts/popup/au0182nyb.html
    http://www.kitco.com/charts/popup/au0365nyb.html

http://www.kitco.com/charts/techcharts_silver.html

silver has lost 50% of its value

So, three years ago I bought silver at around $10.00. Are you saying it is $5.00 today???
    Wouldn't it have to be for me to lose 50%

To suggest silver lost 50% of it value is lunacy.
    It spiked once near $50.00, no one bought it at that price and anyone who tried to sell it at that price could not find a taker and the price fell off that in days.

I have a little gold at $800 oz. How much have I lost by your manner of math????

I do not know if this is the beginning of a big drop or if some shore up by the Germans will stop it again but there is a run on banks in Greece (for some time) but now in Spain and with France announcing it will borrow its way to prosperity things do not look good which causes people to seek safety.
    Today that means Gold, Silver and for the time being until they learn better; US dollars.

I have felt gold and silver were over priced for two years now but IMO.
    Some say gold at $2,000.00 is looking very possible even likely by the year's end!

Crystal ball please

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone who thinks they can beat the insiders on individual stock. Good luck. Mutual s are the only way to go today. Yes you pat a point to management but they are your insider.
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DIVERSIFICATION
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Barzilla

" Can your mutual fund be self directed ?"
    Yes I can call him and move or sell

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm in the business and I sold all but one of my stocks and now I am 95% cash in my main portfolio.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He isnt asking if he should have purchased it 3 years ago. He is asking if he should buy it today.

The fact is that both gold and silver have been falling for over a year.

The fact that it went up yesterday isnt relevent today unless you are planning on day trading.

quote:Originally posted by Wulfmann

So, three years ago I bought silver at around $10.00. Are you saying it is $5.00 today???

It spiked once near $50.00, no one bought it at that price and anyone who tried to sell it at that price could not find a taker and the price fell off that in days.

I have a little gold at $800 oz. How much have I lost by your manner of math????

I do not know if this is the beginning of a big drop or if some shore up by the Germans will stop it again but there is a run on banks in Greece (for some time) but now in Spain and with France announcing it will borrow its way to prosperity things do not look good which causes people to seek safety.
    Today that means Gold, Silver and for the time being until they learn better; US dollars.

Some say gold at $2,000.00 is looking very possible even likely by the year's end!

Crystal ball please

Wulfmann
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DJH860
    "He isnt asking if he should have purchased it 3 years ago. He is asking if he should buy it today."

I bought in 2005 and have about 75& up as of yesterday
    however It has been up about 150% at one time.

I really dont like some one else holding my money but dont miss the money that I put in it 7 years ago.

Quit buying silver and gold coins about 20 years ago
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He isnt asking if he should have purchased it 3 years ago. He is asking if he should buy it today.

The fact is that both gold and silver have been falling for over a year.

The fact that it went up yesterday isnt relevent today unless you are planning on day trading.

quote:Originally posted by Wulfmann

Crystal ball please

Wulfmann

No, what he is doing is picking the exact day to make an argument that has no relevance to any other day but the one that makes his position look correct.

it is called lack of objectivity

And gold has fallen for 6 months not a year but it fell off a high no one traded at so also has no relevance to those who hold gold and is meant to say do what i do because doing otherwise is stupid.
    There are those who can spin anything to make themselves feel right.
    In this terrible time for preserving let alone making money gold and silver has been one of the best returns but some want to twist this basically to cover up the fact they missed the boat (which, IMO, left the dock early 2010)

he did not say today, he said in general as he stated silver has lost 50% of its value. Its value was never the $50.00 price where it every so briefly hit that and retreated.

The fact gold went up considerably may or may not mean much by itself but coupled with the run on Spanish banks it may be a bull bounce and be on a run.

We shall see. I bought a little in 09 and won't buy more unless it collapses, same with silver so agree buying now is too risky.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck