In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Measles

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited February 2015 in General Discussion
So who's worried.[8D]

My mom was old school, she would see a kid with them and would make me go give them a hug.[:D]Really. She told me it was to make them feel better, but I know better now.

Got the 5 day that way and still not sure how I got the 3 day in boot camp.

So now with this big scare going on I'm not worried.

Comments

• Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is is ironic about all this is that the vast majority of parents who refuse to vaccinate their kids are leftys, who tell me I am 'anti-science' because I paid enough attention in science class to know that their Climate Alarmist Religion is pure BS.

They don't vaccinate, because Jenny McCarthy told them it is dangerous. Jenny McCarthy's only qualifications are attached to her upper chest.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vaccinated as a kid, And I have had them 3 times in my life. Last time I was 16.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I almost died from the measles at age six. Never been so sick as those few days.
    What's next?
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need to share Measles with ISIS
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Not worried. Don't recall if I had it as a kid but I had a bunch of the childhood illnesses before being vaccinated.
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was never vaccinated as a child...don't know why but suspect is was a money problem. I recall getting "something" but don't recall if it was measles or chicken pox. With all the recent talk/advertisements about Shingles, makes me want to discuss possibilities with my MD.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Open borders doesn't help much either
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am worried. My son has gotten all the shots, but I know that about 8-10% of the time the vaccine doesn't provide immunity and that I will have to depend upon herd immunity to protect him.

People who choose not to vaccinate are not just putting their own children at risk, but are also putting at risk the children of others.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Thinking about it, I recall that I had Scarlett Fever, Chicken Pox, Whooping Cough, Mononucleosis.

Recall us kids lining up in school gymnasiums for vaccinations. There'd be a doctor who'd thump and listen to your chest, then a nurse would shoot you in the arm or if you were too small in the butt.

There was the Tuberculosis test too, where they scraped your forearm in two or three spots with a little tool. Within a few days your parents were to compare what it looked like to a card they handed out. I remember in school the school nurse going through class rooms looking at kid's forearms, I think it was a sort of spot check she was doing on her own.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    TB testing was done in the Military.

Do know my Mom made sure I had the polio Vaccine. She had it as a kid and did not want me to get it.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    the only test I can remember from school was the little 4 pronged needle that they poked U in the wrist with.The area was looked at again a few days later to see if it had swelled or just healed up....I think it was a test for TB.?