In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Time Travel , Is it Possible ?

Happy GuyHappy Guy Member Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in General Discussion
Why or why not ? Over the history of mankind people have always thought certain were impossible and they were wrong. Has anyone or any group actually tried to research time travel ? I can only wonder what a team of the top scientists in the world with the budget of SkunkWorks could do. Personally, I see no reason why time travel cant be possible.

Comments

• Options
    spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not for us but a bunch of physicists recently (within the last six months) got a beam of light to exit a fiber optic tube before it had entered.....some kind of quantum physics experiment. Don't ask me how it works: I'm not that smart. It was written up in Science, I think, but it might have been Nature.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I'm not so sure about timetravel...

But I read about the research that spurgesmastur mentions, that light can exit a fiber optic even before it's transmitted from the source.
    That was facinating stuff.

On another note, it was a danish scientist (woman at that) that led the team who slowed down the speed of light to about 40 miles per hour - when it should have been 186.400 miles per second.
    So the opposite is also possible - as well as it was made possible to put the brakes on light too - catch it in a specially charged atmosphere, and release it at will.

It's a facinating thing really..

Timetravel?
    I don't know.

I might be more interested in that StarWars "Beam me up".. kind of stuff.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Don't know if it's posible, but it would explain a lot of UFO sightings and advancements in science and technology if vistors from the future were among us.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Based upon nothing more than taking my position on faith, I'd have to say no, it isn't possible.

If time travel were possible, that would indicate that everything is written in stone and pre-destined to happen, especially if you want to consider travel in the future. Everything would be linear, you'd just show up at the designated point along the timeline.

OTOH, I experience time travel every single day, as do most of you. The problem is that we can only move in the future, not in the past. I close my eyes at night, and when I wake up, it is morning.
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Seems like our esteemed Mateo is on to (or just ON) something the way he's been living in the archived past here lately. [;)]
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Time Travel is a very interesting topic. You should research and read up some more on it. There is quite a bit of information on it.

While working for Mitre, I was introduced to a concept called "timeality". Basically this is the theory that as you approach the speed of light, time slows down. There is a strong argument that if we had the technology to reach distant planets (1000's of light years away) that you couldn't ever send a person because they'd be dead in the length of time it takes to get there - even at the speed of light, it would be 1000 years to get there. But using the timelity argument, in the pilots estimation, the trip only took weeks.

According to Einstein's theories, we cannot exceed the speed of light. This is why researchers are looking at wormholes (folded space) as a way to cross great distances. That is another very interesting topic!
  • Options
    cbr954cbr954 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a nutshell......"time" does not exist. I believe it is a simple thing conceved for our fragile minds to grasp to. EVERYTHING we percieve is really just a bunch of electronic impulses.....

[8D]
  • Options
    warriorsfanwarriorsfan Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by warriorsfan
    65f4a1ec5a001a02396ac2d1baa8e31axd5.jpg

LMAO [:D] He must have some good meds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mullet Boy knows something about time travel? What, like he woke up a week later after some LSD?
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Sure it's possible, not even particularly difficult. Read the notes between Tesla and Einstien from the late 20's up until they had their falling out over the militarizing of science. If old Albert weren't such an extreme pacifist America would rule the galaxy.If Tesla had lived another ten years we would have our flying cars by now. Maybe we do on a different time line.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Our concept of time is puely SUBJECTIVE based on our SUN--The UFO's couldn't care less--[:p][:p]--JIMBO
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    A 1-G ACCELERATION FOR ABOUT A YEAR WILL GET YOU TO (ABOUT) 96% OF THE SPEED OF LIGHT, AT THIS RATE YOU COPULD TRAVEL ANY DISTANCE IN ABOUT 2 YEARS (YOU JUST COULDN'T GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM IT TIME).
  • Options
    adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    Relativity says that time is relative to the observer. Absolute time slows down as speed increases. So if someone left earth traveling at near the speed of light for one year, when he returned he would find that thousands of years had elapsed from the earth's perspective.

This has been proven to be fact. Someone launched an atomic clock into orbit on a fast moving satellite and compared its time with an atomic clock on earth. There was a difference in the clocks that could only be attributed to relativistic effects.

On the matter of time travel: it seems obvious that you cannot travel into the past. Otherwise we would be putting up with obnoxious time tourists from the future. It may be possible to travel into the future, but current thinking is that there is not one future but an infinite number of future paths which narrow down to one as soon as the future becomes the present.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where's Judge Dread when we need him....[:D]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Don't know if it's posible, but it would explain a lot of UFO sightings and advancements in science and technology if vistors from the future were among us.

So would science fiction, and it wins the Occams razor test.

quote:
    LMAO [:D] He must have some good meds.

On the contrary Select-fire, I would say they are not working at all![;)][}:)]

Time travel would require travel faster than light speed. Material objects cannot travel that fast, thus cannot time travel.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not smart enough to understand Einstein (hell, I ain't smart enough to understand DancesWithSheep), but if I understand it correctly, one of Einstein's theories says if you can reach or exceed the speed of light, you can travel into the future, but once you get there, you can't come back. It's one way travel.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I'm not smart enough to understand Einstein (hell, I ain't smart enough to understand DancesWithSheep), but if I understand it correctly, one of Einstein's theories says if you can reach or exceed the speed of light, you can travel into the future, but once you get there, you can't come back. It's one way travel.

I can sit on my @$$ and accomplish the exact same thing. Think about it, you'll realize it is true.

We're all travelling into the future. We have no choice. We only stop travelling when we keel over and die.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF you were able to travel in time you would wind up in a void since the Earth & the Universe are moving.
  • Options
    Happy GuyHappy Guy Member Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    800 years ago the concept of live television would have been deemed impossible by most. how can someone in London see something going on in New York ?
    there will be some amazing advances in knowledge and technology in the future.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No doubt true, but still bounded by the laws of physics. The high tech future will not make time travel common place or even possible.

OK Scotty, beam me up.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by admin
    Relativity says that time is relative to the observer. Absolute time slows down as speed increases. So if someone left earth traveling at near the speed of light for one year, when he returned he would find that thousands of years had elapsed from the earth's perspective.

This has been proven to be fact. Someone launched an atomic clock into orbit on a fast moving satellite and compared its time with an atomic clock on earth. There was a difference in the clocks that could only be attributed to relativistic effects.

On the matter of time travel: it seems obvious that you cannot travel into the past. Otherwise we would be putting up with obnoxious time tourists from the future. It may be possible to travel into the future, but current thinking is that there is not one future but an infinite number of future paths which narrow down to one as soon as the future becomes the present.

How do you know we're not? Perhaps they've always been here and we just don't realize it? Check out the movie "Millienium" with Cheryl Ladd.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Un P3Skyking, remember the briefing before we left our time? They said keep a low profile. Don't give them hints we are here man!
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spaniel nailed it- we are ALL traveling in time- at the rate of one hour per hour. The street seems to have this big ONE WAY sign, tho...[:p]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,240 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If time travel is possible, I want to go back to the first century AD with my Swedish Mauser and 800 rounds. I will land on the s.e. coast of Britain, and will turn back the Roman invasion. They had 40,000 troops, but after forty of fifty of those guys splashed into the Channel with big holes in their chests, I bet their buddies would think about heading back to France.
    It was all downhill for us Celts once the damn Romans invaded.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Happy Guy
    800 years ago the concept of live television would have been deemed impossible by most. how can someone in London see something going on in New York ?
    there will be some amazing advances in knowledge and technology in the future.

Technically it isn't "live"; there is still a small delay between what you are seeing and what happens.

That delay is ALL the difference, actually.

There are relativistic ways to change the flow of time, but in terms of the HG Wells novel kind of time machine that can bring you forward or back at will, Einstein says such a thing is not possible.

And whether or not Einstein is right, it certainly can't be done with today's technology.

As a side thing, check out this vid of the Einstein robot. . .freaky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIDkNT-7WTI
  • Options
    Beer BellyBeer Belly Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--So he was JAPANESE, I knew it--[xx(][xx(]--JIMBO
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course time travel is possible.

Captain Kirk and crew already did it. More than once. All you have to do is slingshot around a sun, at maximum warp, or something like that. It must be true, I saw it on TV.

Because Einstein said so? Coming from a man who traveled BACK in time, from the future, to fill our heads with a bunch of scientific mumbo-jumbo. Do you really expect him to ADMIT to the fact that time travel exists?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pickenup, don't act like a boob man, you know (or should) that that only works if you have a pair of orcas in the cargo hold, as in.

"Captain! Here there be whales!"
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now, now, He Dog. No whales required.

You know (or should) that it also works when the need arises to go back in time, so that the Vulcans could discover the planet earth, when earth tested the first warp-powered starship. Couldn't let the Borg mess that up, or we would never become a member of the United Federation of Planets.

They also taught us, that it is possible to travel back in time, if the warp engines implode. You got an inside glimpse of the crew that time.

It was an accident, when they did a slingshot around a black hole, and ended up almost screwing up the 20th century. Good thing they got Captain John Christopher (and the rest) back to their rightful places in time, before there was a real temporal catastrophe.

If they had taken out Hitler (when they used the Guardian to go back in time) where would we be now? Of course if they hadn't set thing right, the "Time Cop" would have been ALL OVER them like stink on s**t.
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Collin Raye's Version

The Time Machine
    (Gary Burr)

He circled and stared
    Nervous and scared
    He knew both the thrill and the cost
    But he didn't think twice
    This amazing device
    Was his last chance to see what he'd lost
    If time is really a river
    And upstream's where he needed to be
    He set his sights on the past
    Finished his glass
    And went back in history

To the casual eye it's a bar stool
    But it's really much more than it seems
    A few drinks and then
    She'll be with him again
    As he sits on the time machine

Like all pioneers
    He swallowed his fears
    And watched the whole room fade to black
    He's dying to go
    But he's no fool, he knows
    How hard it will be to come back
    But tonight he's tired of the lonely
    And tomorrow will not be the cure
    So he'll just slip away
    Find yesterday
    And spend one more night with her

Now as far as these customers can tell
    He's just one more fool who talks to himself
    But every man in this place would line up
    If they knew what that seat really was (but)

To the casual eye it's a bar stool
    But it's really much more than it seems
    A few drinks and then
    She'll be with him again

Just a few drinks and then
    She'll be with him again

TB
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Gravity curves spacetime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_rocket_experiment

Straight from NASA....gravity slows down time. Absence of gravity speeds up the time.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    If y'all would like to attend, I'll be going to a Time Travel Seminar in 1986. If you can't make it, there will be another one in May of 1962.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Too many paradoxes. You could go back and kill your Grandpa. Therefore, you'd never be born; but then, you wouldn't have been able to go back and kill Grandpa, because it didn't happen, so you couldn't do it. But then....ARRGGHHH!
  • Options
    gonzo1510gonzo1510 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no,no.... I think it's completely possible, A friend of mine has been working on a project involving a DeLorean that has to get up to 88 mph to activate what he calls the "Flux Capacitor" which in turns allows for time travel.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I travel in time everyday.

JUST in time.

I think Truman Capote was a time traveler from the future.
  • Options
    NeilTheBritNeilTheBrit Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was explained to me how travelling back in time was, in theory, possible.
    Imagine yourself sat inside your car in your garage, and on the wall facing you is a clock. Now imagine that no matter what happens you can always see that clock and keep in mind what you are actually seeing is light coming from the clock to your eyes.
    Put the car in reverse and start accelerating. At first nothing seems to change, remember you can still see the clock, but as your speed increases the light from the clock has problems keeping up with you and the clock appears to slow down. In your garage the clock hasn't changed and in your car everything appears normal, this is the relative part of Einsteins theory. When you hit the speed of light you are travelling away from the clock at 186K miles per second and the light from the clock is travelling towards you at 186K per second, so from your point of reference the clock in the garage stands still. Now go even faster and the clock starts going backwards because your overtaking it's earlier light image, and your travelling backwards in time.

Untill they manage to travel faster than light, which Mr. Einstein say's would require infinate energy and is therefore improbable, it's all theory.

Hope that was as clear as mud for you.
  • Options
    ValsdadValsdad Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it is possible to go back in time,just go to DES Moines ,Iowa and step back in time 20 years.Stuck in the 80s.
  • Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time is nothing. It is only an invention of man for scheduling purposes.