In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 Magnum

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in General Discussion
Lately I have been on a .22LR kick. Has always been one of my favorite rounds and with the rising prices of ammo, it has really become my favorite round. I have now been kicking around the idea of getting a .22 Magnum. It's really not a question of "if" more like what kind. I am not worried about the ammo because I have recieved some from a friend. If you were going to buy any .22 Magnum Revolver our there, which one and why? I am looking for something that isn't going to break the bank and although it isn't a must, I would really like to find something that I can mount a scope on. The only one that I have found to meet that requirement so far is the Ruger and that is a little more then I am looking to pay for a .22 Magnum. What say you guys?

Jon

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Howdy!I haven't been looking long, but there doesn't seem to be too many .22 magnum handgun auto loaders out there. The only one I've seen so far is the AMT Automag. Can anyone advise me on the AMT or any other .22 Mag. auto loaders out there?Txs, Wayne+
    Peace,Wayne+Wayne Baumgartnerwayne@hometownone.comwww.motivatedagent.com
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about a revolver but I LOVE my AMT automag.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    retail prices here deduct 50 to 100 if you got a ffl holding buddy

smith and wesson 351pd 6" 740.00 to 775.00
    taurus tracker 4" or 6" 450.00 to 500.00

ive got an old ruger singlesix and with it came two cylenders.. mine shoots 22mags alot better than 22lr. but it shoots good either way. im not a very good pistol shot. but i still like em.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I'd skip it in a revolver. Fun and all, but not what it can do out of a rifle. For that, I love my Savage 93fv (heavy barrel, accutrigger, etc). Clay pigeons at 200 yards all day long...

If you really want a 22wmr pistol, I'd go for a Ruger single six with both cylinders, or the Automag. Also, I've read that Excel Arms will be makgin a 22wmr kit for the 1911... *drool*
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 351PD and I love it. Its a small J frame ear gun sized 22 mag, that holds about 7 rounds (if I remember correctly) It shoots well and thats a hot little bullet.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    22 mag is a fun revolver round. As a friend of mine remarked when I told him my Single Six came with the extra cylinder, "That'll make a gun out of it."
    But with the price of 22 mag ammo these days, I never shoot it.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin 922 automatic. I am looking for a deal on a Ruger 10/22 magnum. First 22 mag I owned and I am impressed with the knockdown power of a 22 mag. Velocity rules.
  • Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jon,..step out of the box..be different..lol..17hmr S&W md 647 very accurate w/hornady 17gr v-max rds..and affordable to shoot also..Loko [8D]

[img][/img]100_1850.jpg

[img][/img]100_1857.jpg
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jon
    if you are wanting a revolver that is 22 mag and that can be scoped, you have a couple of good choices.

The Taurus Tracker is one.

The one that I am about to pick up is the Ruger Super Single Six Hunter. Has both 22LR and 22Mag cylinders and has the scope mounts included.

Here is what they look like
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=101307462
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Don't know about a revolver but I LOVE my AMT automag.

Them are pretty neat looking little guns. About how much do them cost? I was unaware that anybody made a semi-auto chambered in .22 Magnum. I may have to look into them and see if I could find a place where I can take a look at one.

I really would like to get one of them Ruger's like you posted medic, but I haven't decided if I want to pay that much yet.

Jon
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I paid $275 for mine used, its one that was made in CA before High Standard took over. I don't know how well the High Standard made ones perform but I have had nothing but good luck with this one.
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jon,
    I have 2 semi auto 22 magnums. The Automag now being made by High Standard. Had a couple issues at first, now runs great. Pricey at $695. Also have an Excel Arms Accelerator in 22 mag. About $400, also love this piece. Would not be afraid to suggest either piece to someone in the market, I have been very happy with both of them. Google High Standard and click on the AMT line. also google Excel arms for more info.
  • Options
    B&G ClingerB&G Clinger Member Posts: 1,789 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont have any experience with the .22 magnum. But Wow thats a sharp revolver posted by Loko383. I likes it!!
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    My gun shop tried to call Excel Arms . The shop never could get them on the phone.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOKO, my mouth is watering![:p] I am a sucker for a nice S&W revolver. I wish I wish I wish. 8 3/8" barrel right?
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    well i just thought about it and the only other round in the same range as the 22mag is the 5.7x28mm round FN makes. meaning it will shoot flatter than most other low recoil pistol rounds. [:0]