In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NEF

John J PlutaJohn J Pluta Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
Are the any quality differences between NEF, H&R and Rossi rifles? They seem very similar. Also how are Rossi revolvers if you can't afford S&W? New Rossi VS. used S&W

Comments

• John J PlutaJohn J Pluta Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm fairly new to hunting. Last year was my first season, and I took a slicktop and a button buck with a borrowed NEF 12ga slug gun. I fell in love with it and have been thinking about purchasing one myself. However, I also need a good rifle to hunt with back home. I like NEF b/c of their relatively low price. From the little bit I've been able to find, it seems that different caliber barrels or "uppers" if you will, can be changed out. Can someone verify if this is correct, and if so, can the barrels be purchased separate instead of having to buy multiple rifles?
    Thanks.
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H&R or NEF over any Rossi .. Older S&W over any Rossi
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BTW Welcome aboard !!
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as your used Smith still locks up tight and the forcing cone isn't worn away....I'd take it.

Rossi's are ok, but not nearly a Smith.

I'm with MFI on the NEF/H&R over a Rossi.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Rossi single shot rifles have a manual safety on the L side of the receiver...
  • godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the swivels studs tend to stip out of the stocks on the rossi. nef has better service too.
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    NEF is the best bargain going in a plain jane gun. Son has one with two barrels for it. Great little shooter. Killed loads of deer. Not sure what is going to happen to the company though since Remington bought them out. They have already closed the plant in Gardner, MA where these guns were made. But so far, it seems to be business as usual.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I'll take a NEF/H&R over a Rossi. I bought one of each about 4-5 years ago NEF in 223 I had to polish the chamber so the spent cases would eject no other problems shot great I liked it.I got a Rossi in 44mag after a few rounds (20 or so) I noticed I could wipe the blueing off with my hand[:0] it was a horrible finish but it was accurate enough at 50yds. I sold them both to someone who wanted them more than me. Now as for there revolver line I dont know but I'd probably go with a Taurus over Rossi.
  • thebigsdthebigsd Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rossi is good. In my opinion they are pretty reliable. I own a Rossi R461 in .357 and have never had a problem with it. Can't say anything about the other two brands though.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I owned two NEF handy rifles, they were both junk.