In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking to buy a shooter in .45 caliber

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
I just stopped by a store and was kind of impressed with the feel of the Kimber Pro Covert II, .45. I'd appreciate any comments about it.
What's next?

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    It's more expensive than a Glock 21.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    It's more expensive than a Glock 21.

I just don't like the feel of the Glock as compared to the 1911 metal frame that has the front and rear stippled grip.
    What's next?
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was looking at one too but went with the s&w M&P for the price. I have one kimber and love it but they are priced really high.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kimi,.....do you think the creases in the wallet will allow you to open it should you decide to make this purchase?
    Maybe you should exercise and soften the leather before trying?

Seriously,......if YOU like it, buy it.
    I do not have one so I can't personally comment.

I did want to add my wiseazz remarks though![:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Kimi,.....do you think the creases in the wallet will allow you to open it should you decide to make this purchase?
    Maybe you should exercise and soften the leather before trying?

Seriously,......if YOU like it, buy it.
    I do not have one so I can't personally comment.

I did want to add my wiseazz remarks though![:D]

[:D] Rolling on the floor with that one Mark! [:D]

I'm tempted to buy it. I just wish that there were more stores in the area where I lived with a bigger selection of good used .45's.
    What's next?
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want one of them compact Rock Islands
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    I was looking at one too but went with the s&w M&P for the price. I have one kimber and love it but they are priced really high.

One store that I visited mentioned that Kimber was having some some production problems, but then they did not have any Kimber's on hand. Have you heard of these type Kimber's having any quality problems?
    What's next?
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie

One store that I visited mentioned that Kimber was having some some production problems, but then they did not have any Kimber's on hand. Have you heard of these type Kimber's having any quality problems?

A few years ago(maybe 3-4)when they increased production rapidly there were some quality issues from Kimber. My understanding is that a number of folks had FTF or FTE issues and sent their guns back for work. Kimber stood behind their product and fixed the guns better then new in many cases. So I guess there would be a risk with a used gun but if there is a problem all you would have to do is send it in. I believe they have a lifetime warranty.

I have a Tactical Pro II that I purchased used and love it.

Local shops have plenty of them here. Except for the new "Super Carry Pro Model" which is probably a good thing for my wallet.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    buy a new para gi expert and 100 rounds of ammo.
    you'll still save money compared to a used kinder.
    jmho
    tom
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    jmho
    tom

I was looking at a Para .
    Do you own one ?
    If so ---opinion .
    Thanks
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a Para a month ago, my first auto handgun. Couldn't be happier. I really downloaded some rounds for plinking & they cycle fine. The brass drops right beside me. Eats everything I run through it, so far. I'm sure I'll find something it don't like.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007

Do you own one ?
    If so ---opinion .
    Thanks

I own a Para.

Right out of the box I had trouble with it. The slide kept locking back on a loaded mag. It irritated the hell out of me.

A friend of mine at the gun range said he recognized the problem and fixed it with his dremel. I still don't know exactly what he did, other than polishing up the internals....but the gun works fine now.

Now I'm much happier with it.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I just stopped by a store and was kind of impressed with the feel of the Kimber Pro Covert II, .45. I'd appreciate any comments about it.I don't have one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    I just stopped by a store and was kind of impressed with the feel of the Kimber Pro Covert II, .45. I'd appreciate any comments about it.I don't have one.

[:D] Tanks, cartod, I don't know what I would have done without widout this tip! [:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    jmho
    tom

Do you own one ?
    If so ---opinion .
    Thanks

I OWNED a Para GI Expert. I've owned a few 1911's in my lifetime (Kimber, Para, Colt) and I currently own a Colt Delta Elite. Trust me on this one. You want the Para-USA GI Expert all day long. Talk about an accurate gun. Never had a hiccup with mine. It will hang all day long with a comparable Kimber. I bought mine for $495.

The only drawback about the GI Expert is that the finish is real cheap. It chips VERY easily. I had a Serpa type holster and, after about 20 draws, there was a shiny spot the size of a pin-prick on the slide. I had put about 200 rounds through it up to that point.

I found a gun that was a little more difficult to find on the market and traded my Para for it. If I was going to get another 1911 in .45 ACP, I'd go with the Para GI Expert. It's not pretty in terms of the finish but everything else is more than what you'd expect for the price tag. Save your money. Buy the Para and a whole bunch of ammo because it's fun to shoot.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking to buy a shooter in .45 caliber

.45-90 Go BIG![:D]
    222LL.782.jpg
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to remember that you have a shooter grade 1911 in the box with a 22 conversion kit. Why do you need another one [?] [;)]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Kimber Pro Carry II Stainless and it is my favorite 1911 .45 so far. (Out of maybe 18 or so I own/owned)
  • Options
    wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    I just stopped by a store and was kind of impressed with the feel of the Kimber Pro Covert II, .45. I'd appreciate any comments about it.
    In my experience any 1911 with a barrel shorter than 4 1/4" will have reliabilty and accuracy problems I believe the Kimber Pro Covert II has a 3" barrel. Never shot a kimber, they are way too expensive for my taste.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    I seem to remember that you have a shooter grade 1911 in the box with a 22 conversion kit. Why do you need another one [?] [;)]

[:D][:D][:D] Believe it or not, O-C. I went to the safe last night with every intention to just pick it up, slap a loaded mag in it and jack it to chamber a round, and once I lifted the top piece of wax paper...I chickened out! So much for determination! [:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's a .45 auto.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input folks.
    What's next?
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    everyboby I know that has a kimber swears buy them and it is their carry gun.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 pro carry II one stainless and 1 blue, I love them. Have other 45 ACP's and I love them too. For carry though it's gonna be the kimbers or the sig 220.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:I was looking at a Para .
    Do you own one ?
    If so ---opinion .
    Thanks

yes, in fact, i had two. a buddy shot one and had to have it. so i bought another one.
    it's by far the best 1911 value out there (and i'm a die hard colt fan)
    the trigger is smooth out of the box and it will accept any standard 1911 gov't parts.
    plus, you can go nuts with upgrades from brownells.
    a great shooter, and great platform to build anything you want.
    jmho
    tom
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to remember that you have a shooter grade 1911 in the box with a 22 conversion kit. Why do you need another one [?] [;)][:D][:D][:D] Believe it or not, O-C. I went to the safe last night with every intention to just pick it up, slap a loaded mag in it and jack it to chamber a round, and once I lifted the top piece of wax paper...I chickened out! So much for determination! [:D]Ummm, NOT!!!! [:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only problem with the Para is that it will not accept the 1911 .22LR conversion kits unless someone makes one for the Para. Mech Tech Systems makes an adapter that will allow the use of one of their 1911 carbine conversion units with a Para.
  • Options
    leathersleathers Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Ultra Carry and a Gold Cup. Like them both, but the Gold Cup is my goto if size is not a problem.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the feel of the Desert Eagle 1911. GREAT shooter, great price. I bought one and now another Army Colonel I work with is buying one. A second Army Colonel came up to me yesterday and asked about it. He is shopping for a .45 and may very well get a DE1911.

Just check the feel of it in your hand at a gun shop, and try the trigger. If you want a shooter, that is my recommendation.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I've got a nice Colt in 45 Colt listed on the auction side...still working on getting some better pictures.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I seem to remember that you have a shooter grade 1911 in the box with a 22 conversion kit. Why do you need another one [?] [;)][:D][:D][:D] Believe it or not, O-C. I went to the safe last night with every intention to just pick it up, slap a loaded mag in it and jack it to chamber a round, and once I lifted the top piece of wax paper...I chickened out! So much for determination! [:D]Ummm, NOT!!!! [:D]

[:D][:D][:D]...OTAY![:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    You mean like this one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222722196

Thanks matwor, much appreciated. I'd like to have the one with the 4" barrel due to the longer grip, but I'll watch this one for now.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat
    Try the feel of the Desert Eagle 1911. GREAT shooter, great price. I bought one and now another Army Colonel I work with is buying one. A second Army Colonel came up to me yesterday and asked about it. He is shopping for a .45 and may very well get a DE1911.

Just check the feel of it in your hand at a gun shop, and try the trigger. If you want a shooter, that is my recommendation.

I'm not familiar with DE1911. Does it have the checkering on both straps? Thanks for the tip!
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You mean like this one?

Thanks matwor, much appreciated. I'd like to have the one with the 4" barrel due to the longer grip, but I'll watch this one for now.
    that is a sharp looking piece.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    You mean like this one?

that is a sharp looking piece.

It really is. The one I'm looking at is identical except it has the longer barrel and grip.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    I've got a nice Colt in 45 Colt listed on the auction side...still working on getting some better pictures.

I'll check it out.

[:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

I'll check it out.

[:D]

[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222886152

Thanks for the link. I'm still undecided at this point.
    What's next?