In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

THEY STOLE MY MAN LIFT!

rcoanercoane Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
Last night at work a co-worker and I were working on the outside lights on the loading docks. We pulled the manlift up to the building and swung the basket around and into one of the bay doors. My co-worker got out to turn on the breaker to the lights. While waiting I noticed something buzzing around. Then it had friends. I thought there must be a wasp nest near by. I got out of the man basket and walked into the plant. After taking a few steps I looked back at the dock door and saw it was more the a few wasps, so I ran about a 100ft to my co-worker yelling WASPS. He thought I was kidding, for a second, then fallowed. We stopped after 20ft. The little buggers were still all around us. So we ran 100yrds into the plant laughing. We were met by another worker. We stopped to tell our tale and realized we were not alone. We ran back to the shop 250yrds from the the dock door. We had ditched all but 4 of them. We went to lunch. We went back afterward the find the nest. To our surprise it was not wasps. It was a swarm of bees. The bees had decided while we were at lunch that the manlift belonged to them.
In the picture the swarm is hanging from the bottom of the basket and is piled on the ground to the left. The basket is the size of a small couch. 4 men can stand shoulder to shoulder in this basket.
We spent the rest of the night scaring each-other. I laughed so much that my ribs hurt. That many bees sure can make you jumpy...
bees.jpg?t=1275375235

Comments

• penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
  • rcoanercoane Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Theres no pic[?] I can see it.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    There you go. It went through.

Good thing those things didn't get pissed off. That's enough to make me go the other way in a hurry.
  • PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Good thing those beasties aren't Africanized, heh?[B)]

You get them cleared out yet?

A couple of the biggest shop vacs you can get and a couple of cans of Raid.
    Vac the bees then while the vac is on, vac the fog cloud of Raid into the prisoners and wait.
    edited November -1
    Off the lift yes but they moved to the other side of the building.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Call a local bee keeper. Don't kill them. They will not hurt anyone as long as they are not bothered.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    Call a local bee keeper. Don't kill them. They will not hurt anyone as long as they are not bothered.

They won't do that in our area any more. It's a killer bee thing.
  • SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be a queen in that mess, they are worth $50.
  • gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SWAT 50
    Could be a queen in that mess, they are worth $50.

Yeah, she is in the middle and being protected by all the others. Generally when honey bees swarm like that they will not sting you. My dad has put sevseral swams like that in paste board boxes and transported them in the back seat of vehicles to his house to put in a hive box. Now you do get some that just don't know this and will sting but most of the time they are pretty mild.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    California: Central Valley Anticipating Bee Shortage
    Tuesday, 19 January 2010

Farmers in the Central Valley are already dealing with water shortages. Now they may face a bee shortage.

Every February, 40 percent of the nation's commercial bee hives are moved to the Central Valley to pollinate the state's $2 billion almond crop.British bee experts who monitor the industry said there may not be enough insects to do the job this year.

They cite a bee die-off from so-called "colony collapse disorder" and bad summer weather in North Dakota and the Midwest where many bee keepers maintain their hives.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    that swarm looks to be a 10# to me...love to be there to get it
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    You dont need that lift anyway, its sexist..

call a hive keeper they might even pay you for them..