In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Austal tradition- Engine problems.

Hope it doesn't have MAN Diesels like the Ferry they sold the City of Rochester that became a career for service techs.
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why is it that there is never time to do the job right, but there is always time to do it over?
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I recall, the last one out had problems as well

an engineering casualty does not sound good....
  • Options
    Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiplash
    Why is it that there is never time to do the job right, but there is always time to do it over?

Change it and Fix it are the profit centers. Original bid is low and probably not profitable in Government contracting, but generally becomes profitable via change orders.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Austal has become a liability for Mobile,Al....lots of money spent in the wrong places...Looks like they have internal problems...
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,530 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a proven gas turbine engine system for main propulsion. It will be interesting if more detail becomes available as to what the nature of the problem was/is.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    It is a proven gas turbine engine system for main propulsion. It will be interesting if more detail becomes available as to what the nature of the problem was/is.

I haven't found a clear reference yet but it seems the LCS ships have two engine choices.

quote:. . . opted to return to sea to participate in the Rim of the Pacific multinational exercise, from July 19 to 28, using its gas turbine engines rather than its main diesel engines.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/08/29/third-freedom-class-lcs-breaks-down-in-12-months.html
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Austal's motto. We do it right, 'cause we do it twice!
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,530 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wild Turkey
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

I haven't found a clear reference yet but it seems the LCS ships have two engine choices.

quote:. . . opted to return to sea to participate in the Rim of the Pacific multinational exercise, from July 19 to 28, using its gas turbine engines rather than its main diesel engines.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/08/29/third-freedom-class-lcs-breaks-down-in-12-months.html

You may be right. Diesels for cruising and the turbines for speed. I seem to remember some talk of a possible combined plant for these many years ago.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think those (Littoral) ships are over thought...[xx(]