In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Therapeutic Effect of Dogs on the Aged

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited February 2016 in General Discussion
I have in the past been involved with bringing dogs to an assisted living center and it is indeed a metaphysical experience.
Catatonic people become animated (obviously a small movement is a major exercise for them) and even people with full faculties benefit from the interaction.
It was a very eye opening and moving experience for me. I was interested in the mechanics of what I saw.
It was amazing to me.

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/emotional-health/the-health-benefits-of-pets.htm

Comments

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No doubt about it, p3. My wife has been a nursing home nurse for 30+ years and she has seen this for decades.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Absolutely!!!! [^][^][^][^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    AmishAmish Member Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a dog or two over the past few years. The neighbors kids shot one with a pullet gun.. and they just would not leave him alone, and so i got rid of him, out where he could run out in the country side. The other one kept getting out.

I suppose you could have a little dog without much problem. But I don't want a little dog.

Hope you have better luck than I did.
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Amish
    I had a dog or two over the past few years. The neighbors kids shot one with a pullet gun.. and they just would not leave him alone, and so i got rid of him, out where he could run out in the country side. The other one kept getting out.

I suppose you could have a little dog without much problem. But I don't want a little dog.

Do us a favor. Don't ever get another Dog.
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    AmishAmish Member Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiplash

[:D][:D][:D] I wished it could have been better. I had him as a pup for about seven years.
  • Options
    OMCHamlinOMCHamlin Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

[:D][:D][:D] I wished it could have been better. I had him as a pup for about seven years.

You casually got rid of a dog that you had from a pup? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?
    1. Between my dog or a dog shooting neighbor's kid, I know which one I would have gotten rid of.
    2. I agree with wiplash, you should not own dogs... [V]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by OMCHamlin

1. Between my dog or a dog shooting neighbor's kid, I know which one I would have gotten rid of.
    My 16 yr old female was getting old,.....so I traded her in on a new female....that was forty years ago....too old to trade again...and she is house trained...[:o)][:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by OMCHamlin

....is a dog!!! Not his kid or first born...I can't believe how some some folks go nuts ocer an animal...you know when you get a dog,cat,etc theire life span is one quarter of yours. No wonder the world is afflicted like it is...[:o)] "I'd rather have a dog than a friend"...I like animals as well as any one, but they are animals....not humans...and don't give me this"Dogs are better than humans bull"....If dogs were better there would be a leash on your neck!
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always had dogs and always will they are therapy for young and old...

Never met a dog I did not like![:D]
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie

....is a dog!!! Not his kid or first born...I can't believe how some some folks go nuts ocer an animal...you know when you get a dog,cat,etc theire life span is one quarter of yours. No wonder the world is afflicted like it is...[:o)] "I'd rather have a dog than a friend"...I like animals as well as any one, but they are animals....not humans...and don't give me this"Dogs are better than humans bull"....If dogs were better there would be a leash on your neck!

And I can't believe at your age how little you understand of life or of reality, yet I guess you're religious and believe in magic.
    We're just going to have to disagree on this Paul.

If an alien ever lands on this planet I hope he doesn't have your attitude. "I like humans and all, but they're just humans, nothing worth getting excited about".

[B)]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pwillie I have kept rattlesnakes and pit vipers I liked better than some people I have known.

Cats are part of the family, mess with one, it is like messing with a daughter. You will find a world of hurt that will make Hell look like a happy place.

Mess with my friends, same out come. Family is family.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    assisted living here had a smaller dog the went from room to room visiting the people there...everybody spoiled that dog and dog spoiled them....made a REAL difference in the place
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Pwillie I have kept rattlesnakes and pit vipers I liked better than some people I have known.

Cats are part of the family, mess with one, it is like messing with a daughter. You will find a world of hurt that will make Hell look like a happy place.

Mess with my friends, same out come. Family is family.
    ...if a guy you didn't know was standing next to a ditch and dog was next to him and you were told to kill one, which would you kill(and have never seen either before)...and if you dont kill one of them you will be killed are your first born...[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

And I can't believe at your age how little you understand of life or of reality, yet I guess you're religious and believe in magic.

If an alien ever lands on this planet I hope he doesn't have your attitude. "I like humans and all, but they're just humans, nothing worth getting excited about".

[B)]
    Sky King! At my age I know that animals are animals....I have owned and loved many dogs birds,and even a cat name "Baby Dearie"....but I am also old enough to know the contributions of animals as well as humans...are animals better than humans? Maybe, but I will not sacrifice a human for an animal,that I have eaten are fed...I have never eaten a human , I don't think!...animals are part of the food chain...period...When the Alien lands I'll send him to your home and you can feed and cloth him...LOL!....we don't need anymore illegals from Mexico or Outer Space![:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...a friend of mine was telling me about his new Lab puppy living with him in his apartment,and how he was having trouble training him...I asked what was he gonna do with it later on...he said he would keep it as a pet....after leaving him I thought ,"why in hell would a guy buy a hunting dog and keep it for a pet"?....I know plenty people that do,but in an apartment? Him gone all day,what does the dog do?To me, its much more cruel to keep an outdoor dog cooped up in an apartment,than on a farm or a yard!...But, he thought he was being good to the dog...I don't see it that way...to me thats more cruel than killing the dog...
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have nine of them, therapeutic....HA they exercise my patience and my heart all the time, but just like children I couldn't live with out the rascals. Perpetual 3 years olds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

[B)]
    Yes I am what I am...and I do belive in a supreme being....magic is in the eye of the beholder.....[:o)]