In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

20 gauge....

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in General Discussion
for two of my neighbors kids...single shot?.....any ideas?...need one for each...Help![?][?]

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The new Henrys look nice all that I have seen so far is the 410. The 20 ga should be hitting the show rooms soon
    https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/single-shot-shotgun/
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    for two of my neighbors kids...single shot?.....any ideas?...need one for each...Help![?][?]

Don't shoot them, slap them around a bit. Maybe they will straighten up. Don
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What the hell.....
    How about a couple Citoris or Superposeds.
    A Belgium A5 for each would also be quite nice......[;)][:D]
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see them all the time in Pawn shops and old fashion gun shops. Should be easy to find a nice used one.

The Winchester Model 37 is tough to beat and they can be found.
    RLTW

• Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NEF / H&R

Single shot break open shotguns

Exposed hammer - case hardened receiver - Schnabel fore end

Under $100.00 when on sale - made in USA

Cannot be beat and cannot go wrong - new in box

I have maybe 8 of them in various gauges

Also look at Rossi 2 bbl sets

One 20 gauge bbl and one .22 long rifle bbl

Good price and good quality and good deal

And don't overlook used...

I have a dozen used single shot break open shotguns of various manufacture...

And consider older bolt action models - used - you can get great deals on good guns

Please let us know what route you take

Hope this was helpful

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    I see them all the time in Pawn shops and old fashion gun shops. Should be easy to find a nice used one.

I like the 37 myself,but would like something newer I think?..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    NEF / H&R

Exposed hammer - case hardened receiver - Schnabel fore end

Under $100.00 when on sale - made in USA

Cannot be beat and cannot go wrong - new in box

I have maybe 8 of them in various gauges

Also look at Rossi 2 bbl sets

One 20 gauge bbl and one .22 long rifle bbl

Good price and good quality and good deal

And don't overlook used...

I have a dozen used single shot break open shotguns of various manufacture...

And consider older bolt action models - used - you can get great deals on good guns

Please let us know what route you take

Hope this was helpful

Mike
    I have purchased new NEP 2-4-3 rifle for my bookkeepers son...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06

I like the 37 myself,but would like something newer I think?..

Newer is cool but the M37 is a classic. I know if I was a kid and someone got me an older M37 I would like it much more that the garbage put out today.

The clean lines, machining and workmanship they put in to them was classic. I would never be ashamed of pulling one out and any shooting event or hunt.

The H&R are not too bad but this new stuff with the little dingy push down lever on the side and plastic butt plate are tawdry IMO.

Single shots are either elcheapo or well made and the older ones were made to hunt and be used the newer stuff is crap IMO.

Good luck and no matter what I am sure they will appreciate what you get them.

Just remember to take them hunting and teach them safety[;)]

Here are some good ones I found. The H&R topper is a good solid gun too. Sears sold some Mod. 101 that were a good solid SS gun.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/714109394
    http://www.GunBroker.com/item/712601230
    http://www.GunBroker.com/item/711839314
    http://www.GunBroker.com/item/712382202
    http://www.GunBroker.com/item/712112942
    http://www.GunBroker.com/item/714008522
    http://www.GunBroker.com/item/707181440

Another option is a bolt action shotgun. These are great for Squirrel, Deer and turkey guns. They can be found cheap too.
    RLTW

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 37 Winchester. Mfg.1958-1963. 26" mod choke barrel. If original has Red Winchester Recoil Pad. Ammo is cheap. Collector gun built like a tank. Points and shoots great at anything. Safe high spur hammer so juniors thumb won't slip off from blood or oil. Red dot safety mark under hammer(cocking piece). Some say little "Boys Gun" then became PC "Youth Gun". Box reads "Beginners Gun". Furniture not as nice as earlier 37's. Can be found on GB sometimes at reasonable price. Great gun to pass on to next generation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I like these Bolt action shotguns for squirrel hunting. The work good on deer and hogs too because they shoot like a rifle.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/713403680
    RLTW

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i could never recommend a single shot for a youth. little hands and exposed hammers don't interact that well...also most singles shots are not of a reduced frame suitable for youth to control. you don't buy adult clothes to fit a child now- get a "youth" sized gun that they can wear now and grow with. not into. also a single shot generally has more recoil to the shooter than a heavier gun like a pump or semi auto. teaching safe gun handling does not need the fear of bruisinh a p p young shoulder to contend with...

i won't recommend specifically a brand, but will say there are a myriad of guns-both pump action and semi-auto- available with "youth" sized stocks and actions that can be fitted with stock spacers and recoil pads to adjust the gun to fit as the child grows. then when the adjustment range has been used up, put on the adult buttstock when the child is ready for that... there is no law that says you have to load 3 shells into a gun if you are worried about that. but its nice to have the capability when the child is ready to start hunting with you.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******
    edited November -1
    870 youth,,,[^][^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the A5, they can grow into it and not outgrow.
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    i could never recommend a single shot for a youth. little hands and exposed hammers don't interact that well...also most singles shots are not of a reduced frame suitable for youth to control. you don't buy adult clothes to fit a child now- get a "youth" sized gun that they can wear now and grow with. not into. also a single shot generally has more recoil to the shooter than a heavier gun like a pump or semi auto. teaching safe gun handling does not need the fear of bruisinh a p p young shoulder to contend with...

i won't recommend specifically a brand, but will say there are a myriad of guns-both pump action and semi-auto- available with "youth" sized stocks and actions that can be fitted with stock spacers and recoil pads to adjust the gun to fit as the child grows. then when the adjustment range has been used up, put on the adult buttstock when the child is ready for that... there is no law that says you have to load 3 shells into a gun if you are worried about that. but its nice to have the capability when the child is ready to start hunting with you.

I hear where you are coming from but here in the South a SS Shotgun is great for a kid to wander the woods, swamps and bayous with. He can take Squirrel, possums, rabit and other mammals with it. In a pinch he can shoot a dove or two for the pot.

They are easy to clean and easy to make ready/make safe when crossing creeks or fences.

They will not grown into them but they will not grow out of them either.

When they get older they will have skills that a SS shotgun instills and move on to a better platform like a 12ga pump or whatever.

But as time goes by they will break out that old 20 ga SS and go squirrel hunting because the SS is great for that and they carry so easily.

YMMV but I vote for a Winchester M37
    RLTW

• Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With Kasey?s help I have given quite a few of these away on here for the kids Christmas giveaway.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/713422127
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i understand your viewpoint and agree for the most part. the only point in contention is rarely does the single fit a small frame, , and i believe the best results in marksmanship,
    safe handling techniques, and overall satiswfaction comes with a gun that fits now, not years later.quote:Originally posted by Sam06

I hear where you are coming from but here in the South a SS Shotgun is great for a kid to wander the woods, swamps and bayous with. He can take Squirrel, possums, rabit and other mammals with it. In a pinch he can shoot a dove or two for the pot.

They are easy to clean and easy to make ready/make safe when crossing creeks or fences.

They will not grown into them but they will not grow out of them either.

When they get older they will have skills that a SS shotgun instills and move on to a better platform like a 12ga pump or whatever.

But as time goes by they will break out that old 20 ga SS and go squirrel hunting because the SS is great for that and they carry so easily.

YMMV but I vote for a Winchester M37
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a New England Pardner model on the auction side for $100. But by the time you add shipping and receiving the gun was really to high. But I needed an action to send off for a smokeless muzzle loader build and didn't have time to shop around.

Anyway it was like this one http://www.GunBroker.com/item/713085787

It was a decent little gun, seemed a shame to dismantle it. I have barrel, stock and forearm I need to peddle somewhere.

I had a youth model H&R I bought when I was 12 years old, I killed a lot of stuff with that shotgun. One of my sons has it now. I have a H&R and 2 Stevens .410's now and they've helped a lot of kids get started.

When you add shipping and receiving it's hard to get one of these single shots worth the money. But locally, if you can find them, they should be reasonable. Any old Stevens in good shape would work and a lot of them were made and marketed through store brands. Western Auto and the like. My father rabbit hunted with a 20ga Revelation SS his last 10 years, one of my other sons has that one now.

A kid just needs a solid gun, it doesn't have to be a 37 Red Letter or an overpriced Henry. He just needs a shooting iron and the time to use it.

If you're stepping up in price range Savage is marketing an O/U shot gun in the $550-600 range http://www.GunBroker.com/item/712189802
    that is a good gun for the price, chrome bores and plenty of choke tubes. They sell this gun in full size and also with a compact stock. I think it would make a good kids gun with the compact stock. I am considering one in 28ga with the compact stock just to have for young ones and ladies just getting started.

Best on your search on helping them boys get in the field, that is what it's about.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is an example of a store gun that, for the moment, is priced reasonable. It need a little cleaning.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/712601230
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would vote for a Mossberg 500 20GA. Much more versatile than the single shot. The Mossberg 185 bolt action 20GA can be had cheap. Available with polychoke, it will do everything that you need. I have (3) of them, 2 with Polychoke and (1) with the external threaded choke system. Fairly light, easy swinging and between $100-$150. Most are C&R eligible if you have one.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on both the Rem 870 and Moss 500...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What another women's gun?

12 gauge more shot only experts shoot with a 410 to even up the odds when shooting against folks with 12 gauge.

And only girls and face rippers shoot 20 gauge!

[}:)]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    edited November -1

You have a couple valid points, however go buy a Win 20ga youth '37 and I bet you a Nickle you will never give it up. I have over 10 of them and none for sale.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another strong recommendation for a youth-sized pump. Give them one shell at a time until they graduate to "safe hunter" status. Which won't be long.

One huge problem with hammer single shots is the near impossibility of the kid un-cocking one without it going off. Not shooting after cocking one happens often, and kids lose track of where the muzzle is pointing while struggling with the heavy hammer spring. The all-too-often result: tragedy.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Another strong recommendation for a youth-sized pump. Give them one shell at a time until they graduate to "safe hunter" status. Which won't be long.

One huge problem with hammer single shots is the near impossibility of the kid un-cocking one without it going off. Not shooting after cocking one happens often, and kids lose track of where the muzzle is pointing while struggling with the heavy hammer spring. The all-too-often result: tragedy.

Some people recommend a single sot with a safety. But you don't many of these anymore. I had one in a 12ga, store gun with a Ranger label. I should have kept it, it was a good shooting gun.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    NEF / H&R

Those ejectors can put your eye out !!
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    Go with the ever popular 870. Can't think of a single reason why this wouldn't be the best option for them.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i said i won't recommend a gun, not that i don't have some in mind, its just a decision best left to the father and the child on their personal preference. me? i like the mossberg bantam
    or the old winchester ranger youth pump to start, then onto a rem 1100 youth. but thats my personal preference and not helpful to the dadand child.quote:Originally posted by 4205raymond

You have a couple valid points, however go buy a Win 20ga youth '37 and I bet you a Nickle you will never give it up. I have over 10 of them and none for sale.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks folks.....now, I will take it under advisement.[;)]
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    NEF single shot.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1

My son was always very big for his age.
    At about 8-9, I took him dove hunting with my grandpas 20 gauge single shot Stevens.
    He shot one dove and proclaimed he was done.
    When I asked him why, he said the kick was too much.
    I shot one with it and agreed with him.
    About an half hour later, he loaded it up and shot another. [:D]
    After that day, he ended up with an 1100 youth 20 for birds and then an 870 youth for deer. [:D]
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I completely agree with Discustad. Open hammers are not child friendly.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my girls O/U in 20GA one Mossberg, one Stoeger. I have used both of them on birds and clays. both serviceable shooting irons.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tried to read all the post.

Too much recoil? That's why Winchester put that Red Winchester Recoil Pad on 37 Youth Gun and it works.

Exposed hammer(cocking piece)not child friendly? Firing pin spring resistance not all that strong. High spur hammer so it won't get away from little fingers and even if it does hammer locks in half cock position from notch cut in it. Never seen one that was not child friendly.

Grow into it? Don't need to grow into it. Even as an adult it will get the job done.

Pick one up, handle it, point it. That's a production gun, but not a piece of junk, a part of Rural America. I don't care if you are a kid or a old man, you will love it.

I vote for the 37 Win Youth Gun or as they say on box "Beginners Gun"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Raymond, hand a kid an positively unloaded single shot. Have him cock it. Then have him uncock it. Watch him wave the muzzle around as he struggles, and note it pointing at you when the trigger trips and the hammer falls, despite his thumb.

The strength of the hammer spring ALWAYS surprises a kid. And that's why I don't recommend them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know the hammer can be hard on young hands to let down, but.
    How many of us used a shingle shot shotgun to get started with? How many of us had one fire while letting down the hammer?

I did
    I didn't

Though I admit it made me nervous to start with.

While there is the issue with letting the hammer down the chance of a pump, auto, or double accidental firing is, IMO, greater than with a single shot. Carrying a gun with the hammer cocked versus un-cocked.

The kids who shoot their dad, or brother when the gun gets hung up in the brush generally aren't carrying single shots, their usually carrying pumps.

Young kids have a lot of new stuff to think about and watch out for when getting started.

To each their own. I trust we are all doing our best to teach the young ones how and why to be safe. Going over the how to, how to safely, and why is the most important part, what ever action you are starting them out with.

Most importantly help get them started, and do it safely.

All my kids started on single shots as did practically every kid I grew up with, all my cousins, and for that matter all my aunts, uncles, and grand parents.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I taught Hunter Ed, I was asked about the first shotgun many times. I advised every one to buy a youth pump 20. In the field, load one shell in the magazine. That's all. If a shot opportunity came, then and only then was the youth to pump the round up, shoulder the gun, and disengage the safety.

As skill and judgment advance, one in the chamber is allowed. Then full up. With a replaceable stock to account for growth, a pump 20 is a gun you can own and shoot for a lifetime. And (no small thing for the kid) a genuine brag gun. Because it's an adult gun, not a kid's shotgun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    + 1 Rocky Raab. wise words...i used similar during my 24 year stint teaching Hunter Safety in Illinois.