In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nest thermostat alert!

m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in General Discussion
So today I go to turn on the A.C. for the first time this year. Push on the Nest to start up, nothing comes on but a blinking red light. It's 98. Bing- why does my Nest have a blinking red light and not respond. A ton of hits came up warning people about Nest problems, great. The blinking red light means the battery is low and will need to charge for about an hour.

Three hours go by and the nasty red light is still blinking, F%ck. There is a two part process involved which includes connecting to a computer. Now no blinking friendly red light, the 250.00 Nest is now completely dead.

Doing further research I find out the battery needs to be replaced, just like the one in my solar powered citizen eco drive watch that is now residing in my sock drawer. Bing-Nest battery replacement. Found one guy in all the world that sells Nest batteries. Battery should be here tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you leave your car parked for the winter and don't unhook the battery, you're likely to have the same problem.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You only use your Nest Thermostat for cooling, not heating?

I think under normal conditions, the Nest Learning Thermostat charges its battery from the low voltage wires on your heating and cooling system.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts

I think under normal conditions, the Nest Learning Thermostat charges its battery from the low voltage wires on your heating and cooling system.

You can program it for heating or cooling or both at the same time. The weather here has been 55 to 70 since march so I turned the system off. Until today.[xx(]
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by m88.358win

You can program it for heating or cooling or both at the same time. The weather here has been 55 to 70 since march so I turned the system off. Until today.[xx(]

That would be a user error....

Remember the Nest is smarter than you are....

Everyone I know that has one HATES it. (but I hang around with a lot of programmers and true geeks, apple users will probably worship it)

I did a lot of research when they first came out and waited on some reviews. Glad I did. My OEM programmable thermostats from the early 90's that came with the house finally burned out last year and I replaced them with the Honeywell touch screen units. They are not as cool looking as the nest, but they do what I tell them to do EVERY time and do not go all HAL9000 on me and start making their own decisions (unless I tell Alexa to make those decisions based on the RULES that I defined, not that NEST defined.) NEST of fire ants is about right....
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Not something I would ever even consider using.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NEST is an answer to a problem that didn't exist. What I DON'T NEED is more crap that I have to reboot/charge/program.

Simpler is better, almost always!

Merc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by m88.358win

That would be a user error....

Remember the Nest is smarter than you are....

Everyone I know that has one HATES it. (but I hang around with a lot of programmers and true geeks, apple users will probably worship it)

I did a lot of research when they first came out and waited on some reviews. Glad I did. My OEM programmable thermostats from the early 90's that came with the house finally burned out last year and I replaced them with the Honeywell touch screen units. They are not as cool looking as the nest, but they do what I tell them to do EVERY time and do not go all HAL9000 on me and start making their own decisions (unless I tell Alexa to make those decisions based on the RULES that I defined, not that NEST defined.) NEST of fire ants is about right....
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If memory serves correct, Nest was purchased by Google, not Apple. Once again, the acronym KISS, comes to mind. Keep it simple, stupid.

A plain jane Honeywell thermostat goes in every one of my rent houses. Powered by 2 triple A batteries bought at any convenience store in America.

I have friends who "wasted" their money buying MULTIPLE Nests for their homes because their homes are so large, they require "zoned" cooling....and, after about 2 years, they pulled them out and threw them in the trash. On to the next and latest gadget. My honeywells do me just fine, and, easy on the wallet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DirtyDawg
    If memory serves correct, Nest was purchased by Google, not Apple. Once again, the acronym KISS, comes to mind. Keep it simple, stupid.

A plain jane Honeywell thermostat goes in every one of my rent houses. Powered by 2 triple A batteries bought at any convenience store in America.

I have friends who "wasted" their money buying MULTIPLE Nests for their homes because their homes are so large, they require "zoned" cooling....and, after about 2 years, they pulled them out and threw them in the trash. On to the next and latest gadget. My honeywells do me just fine, and, easy on the wallet.
    Apple users also love being told what to do by Google. It is a character flaw.

I love remote control thermostats on resort rental property that way I know if it is empty the AC is NOT on. And If we are headed there for the weekend, it is on before we get there....
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep,....stick with Honeywell touchscreens. Nests are for birds.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    Yep,....stick with Honeywell touchscreens. Nests are for birds.Yeah, well, kinda, sorta! I have Nestcams and NestProtects, but no Nest Thermostat (no thanks)!!!!!!!!!!!!! I, too, will stick with my Honeywell Prestige Thermostat (THX9321R5030) and RedLINK Internet Gateway! Nice to be able to monitor and control things when you're on the road! [:D]

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    dont ever take sa battery out of German with 3 letters cars built after 1985 Keep alive battery in control unit is epoxyed in and control will cost you about $800.00 to replace or each time you cut it off over night the dervice dheck light will come on also don't everdrain oli on a 1988 M^ and leave oil pug out for 1/2 houry you will have to take oil pan Milled Aluminum to redo the oil level indicator reed relay in glass tube Third never drain oil out of a Early 911 and leave over night timing chain tensioner is hyd. and it will leak downthen On startup skip time . Dont ask how I know these thing but might be because I THINK I can fix anything without being factory trained
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    dont ever take sa battery out of German with 3 letters cars built after 1985 Keep alive battery in control unit is epoxyed in and control will cost you about $800.00 to replace or each time you cut it off over night the dervice dheck light will come on also don't everdrain oli on a 1988 M^ and leave oil pug out for 1/2 houry you will have to take oil pan Milled Aluminum to redo the oil level indicator reed relay in glass tube Third never drain oil out of a Early 911 and leave over night timing chain tensioner is hyd. and it will leak downthen On startup skip time . Dont ask how I know these thing but might be because I THINK I can fix anything without being factory trained

Did you post on the wrong thread again?[}:)][;)]
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not an issue down here, the a/c is always on.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    dont ever take sa battery out of German with 3 letters cars built after 1985 Keep alive battery in control unit is epoxyed in and control will cost you about $800.00 to replace or each time you cut it off over night the dervice dheck light will come on also don't everdrain oli on a 1988 M^ and leave oil pug out for 1/2 houry you will have to take oil pan Milled Aluminum to redo the oil level indicator reed relay in glass tube Third never drain oil out of a Early 911 and leave over night timing chain tensioner is hyd. and it will leak downthen On startup skip time . Dont ask how I know these thing but might be because I THINK I can fix anything without being factory trainedDid you post on the wrong thread again?[}:)][;)]Thanks for your observation, I thought I was having a senior moment when I read it! [:D][:D]

• Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot
    Not an issue down here, the a/c is always on.

Not an issue here, almost no one has A/C or Heating or Hot water.

Maybe 99% of the homes have 30A Single Phase service,, fused for 60+ amps.

OH, this is the nest thread. Don't have a nest,, chickens have one,, kind of,, it's a hole they dug. Their favorite egg laying place,, big enough for 2+
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I run our A/C unit in the house and vehicles every few weeks year around whether they're needed or not. Anything left unused for long periods of time is more likely to not work when you first start it up.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on keeping simplicity...
    "What is truth?'