In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Self Defense Caliber

2»

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75
    Do all that posted here really care if someone makes you for being armed?

I wear shorts and a T-shirt and keep my compact on my right hip. I think that it may be slightly noticeable at times, but, I don't really care.

Here in Idaho we don't have the strict brandishing laws of some states.

No, I do not really worry about it, but as of this time some states are strict on the concealed carry idea. I do not agree with it but it is the reality of the times. Here in Indiana it is okay to carry open or concealed, but you need a permit, I don't agree we should need a permit, but it's the reality of the times......for now.

Another issue is the element of surprise. Is you are visibly armed it takes that away. We want to protect what needs protecting and stay alive. The element of surprise can be an edge that makes the difference.
  • Options
    swampwalkerswampwalker Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    sweet jesus and mary not again....

Why not again? The guy is new and has 24 posts. Are us newbies supposed to sit around and wait for venerable old timers like you to parse out information instead of asking questions? Sorry if we bore you.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swampwalker
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    sweet jesus and mary not again....

Why not again? The guy is new and has 24 posts. Are us newbies supposed to sit around and wait for venerable old timers like you to parse out information instead of asking questions? Sorry if we bore you.

My good newbile newbie nube new guy, if you will kindly look at the "GunBroker.com Message Forums" heading on the upper right hand corner of the screen, you will find a host of icons under it. In the second line you will find the one after "members", to be the"search" icon, if you click on that, then type what you want to find in the proper box, this whole sights wealth of imformation is at your manipulating members members tips.

[8D][:D]

This is always interesting to me, but i just thought that bit of information may be helpful for you and other starting members. Or other unobservant members.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quickmajik,
    Point taken and understood. I have used the search feature and found answers based on thread title. Other times, the meat of the subject is not in the title of the thread.
    As you can see though, even is this has been covered before, the folder icon is a flamer. It has generated 44 posts. So, even if it's been covered, the gentlemen here still want to weigh in with their opinions.
    You can see I've not been here long. Even so, I've seen subjects being repeated. There always seems to be something a little different brought out each time. It's worth my while to read them again. If for nothing else, the banter is great.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    BTW

They have a plastic tip cover over the sub-projectiles and feed the worst of semi-auto's without the ramp being polished.[;)]

Don't forget to change them out B4 punching paper.$$$$

AND they come from Sturgis SD.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/glaser/glaser.htm

Yup, they make them in all three of the cartridges i posted.

I like specialty ammo in a .380 7 9mm. shoots flat without much recoil. And the double stacks have good capacity.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swampwalker
    quickmajik,
    Point taken and understood. I have used the search feature and found answers based on thread title. Other times, the meat of the subject is not in the title of the thread.
    As you can see though, even is this has been covered before, the folder icon is a flamer. It has generated 44 posts. So, even if it's been covered, the gentlemen here still want to weigh in with their opinions.
    You can see I've not been here long. Even so, I've seen subjects being repeated. There always seems to be something a little different brought out each time. It's worth my while to read them again. If for nothing else, the banter is great.

Well Neilsens point on specialty ammo is good and the lady smith idea is great.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Well Neilsens point on specialty ammo is good and the lady smith idea is great.

I agree and went directly to the site and bookmarked it. I don't think I'll find any of it locally but I'll try.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There is several companies that make specialty ammo, i like the aguila and extreme shock high velocity ammo.
  • Options
    tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .380 but I prefer .45 when possible[}:)]
  • Options
    JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost all of the keyboard commamdos have answered this post.
    What a bunch of BS, Shooting & reloading thats just too much TV watching.
  • Options
    xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Practice is more important than caliber. I carried a .22 for years and just recently stepped up to a J frame. Its what you can realistically conceal (if your state requires it), and to do so I had to step up to cargo pants. No iwb for me, the wife is a pretty good cook[;)] X
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little perspective if this download works. As I stated before carry, shoot, and use whatever you're comfortable with. I've always like the big stuff, I don't want to have to shoot anything more than once.
    From left to right, .22 rimfire, .41 mag, .460dia.,362 grain gascheck I shoot in my BFR, and the loaded 45/70 round along with my BFR. Which one would you count on stopping someone in one shot? Dave
    PICT0113.jpg