In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Things that mean something - (To Me anyway)

84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
edited April 2017 in General Discussion
When my Dad (a 32yr lifer Army ABN CSM , WWII, Korea, Vietnam war Vet) passed away a few years ago, it came down to me to clean out his huge double car garage, and 3 story house.

Prior to moving my Mom into a more appropriate Condo, on the same Golf course their house was located on. (6th green) In the Mtn's. Beautiful 3 story glass backed full solar house, cedar siding, cedar shake roof. (1st in our County)

My Dad designed it, and was the Foreman on the Construction crew.

I helped build it when getting out of the Army in 84'.

Anyway, I digress.

When out in my metal outbuilding a couple hours ago, I came across an American made cotton flag kit from the 60's or 70's.

Not your average cheap nylon, American Flag, made in China.

To make a long story short, that American made (more vibrant than any I have seen in a long, long time,) American Flag is proudly flying on the 3rd story level of my House.

I'm super Proud of you Dad, I appreciate your Service, and I miss the Hell out of You.

I appreciate the American made, American Flag. You knew I'd use it, and fly it proudly. It means something special to me.

I know you are looking down and smiling.

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You act like you're really proud of him, and rightly so
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    You act like you're really proud of him, and rightly so

He was quite the Man.

I'm not 1/2 of what he was.

Yes, I am Super Proud of him.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
    God Bless,,,[^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    God Bless,,,[^][^][^][^]

Thank you Joe.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is nothing more important than family
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    There is nothing more important than family

I appreciate your input Austin.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to you and your Pop for your service to our country.

You and your father sound like very good men.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    I know the feelings you feel for your Dad and I still have my Dad's flag with 48 stars that he flew on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. these two days were very special to him.

He served in the 162Inf, Company L at the Meuse-Argonne battle in WWI Sept. 26 through Nov. 11, 1918...47 days of combat leaving 26,277 dead. I cannot imagine the Hell of living in those conditions and I can understand November 11th being such a special day for him...the war was over.

He never talked about it much but it was special.

I will soon be 84 and like you I still miss him very much. Sometimes I will have a very vivid dream about me and my Dad and feel profound disappointment upon awakening and realizing it was only a dream...but I cherish even those brief moments.

This more than I have ever said about my Dad...thanks for helping me remember the good times.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Arby
    I know the feelings you feel for your Dad and I still have my Dad's flag with 48 stars that he flew on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. these two days were very special to him.

He served in the 162Inf, Company L at the Meuse-Argonne battle in WWI Sept. 26 through Nov. 11, 1918...47 days of combat leaving 26,277 dead. I cannot imagine the Hell of living in those conditions and I can understand November 11th being such a special day for him...the war was over.

He never talked about much but it was special.

I will soon be 84 and like you I still miss him very much. Sometimes I will have a very vivid dream about me and my Dad and feel profound disappointment upon awakening and realizing it was only a dream...but I cherish even those brief moments.

This more than I have ever said about my Dad...thanks for helping me remember the good times.

No Sir.

Thank you for your post, your rememberance, and your Dad's Service.

Thank you Sir.