In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Interesting Gout First for Me

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
I've had the gout in my right foot for 20 years. 99% of the time that is, the other 1% was in my left.

The right leg had a lot going on the past six months. Great toe amputatio, rotorooting bringing blood flow up from 5% to 95%, and only short, minor bouts with the gout.

Sunday, I took an afternoon nap from 1300 to 1500. I woke up to a left thumb that was excruciating. It was swollen and had a list to the right. Did I break it? Did I sprain it? WTH Obert?

Always on a weekend. [xx(] Dug out the bottle of oxycodone and fixed myself a Planters Punch. Couldn't get in to see doc on Monday (Who has ever heard of a doctors office that if you are in pain won't make a hole for you? The Bay Minette Medical Arts Building won't).

Got in today (Tuesday) and saw Sherman the Younger, his dad, Sherman the Elder, is a doctor there too. My doc had taken the day off.

X-rays, uric acid bloodwork, a run down of my leg, and he pronounced a 95% chance of migrated gout. Got a new script of oxy and a steroid called Methylpred 4MG. I noted METH on the script and he laughed. He told me it was prednisone like the vet gives my dogs for allergies. [:p]

So that's the deal. I'm actually glad the gout migrated. It hurt like holy hell to walk with a gout flair up, but my mobility is fine, I'm right handed, so this is a net gain in gout accommodation.

BTW: The symptons if it migrates are exactly the same as the first time you had gout. Feels like a broken bone, throbs, very painful. If those are your symptoms with no evidence of a traumatic injury, treat for gout as you normally would.

Then go out for pizza and beer! [:D][8D]

Comments

  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 23,180 ******
    edited November -1
    I?ve had friends who?ve had it in their feet. Must be excruciating.
  • fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lived with severe gout attacks for years. I found a good rheumatologist and he set me up with Allopurinol. I haven't had an attack since '99. It is(was in my case) extremely important that you have absolutely no inflammation before starting the Allopurinol or it will trigger the worst attack you have ever had. There are different types of gout and yours may not respond as mine did. Worth asking about.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    I?ve had friends who?ve had it in their feet. Must be excruciating.


    Jim, I used to laugh when people said a sheet laying on top of your foot was intolerable. It's true. [:0]
    I keep a set of crutches in the car. Without them and a flare up hit, I would be reduced to crawling.
    It is a very humbling affliction. However, when you learn it, it's quite manageable and predictable.
  • ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    I have a Gout issue about 2 -3 times a year...most times in my left ankle. On occasion I have had it in my wrist and/or thumb...very painful sometimes.

    My doctor keeps me supplied with Prednisone and Colchicine (Mitigare) which knocks it in one or two days...generally over night. As I understand it, this is a standard protocol for soft tissue arthritis (Gout). When it gets bad I also grab the Oxycodone.

    Sometimes I can feel it coming on and take the meds before it really grabs me.

    It has put me on crutches on one or two occasions.
Sign In or Register to comment.