In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anybody make their own jerky?

Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in General Discussion
Just curious as to some good cures or recipes and any tips on a good dehydrator?

Comments

• AzhunterAzhunter Member Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife knows the recipe, but I at least know that she uses yoshido's sauce with spices, marinaded 24 hr.s, then put into the oven on 150 degrees for 7-8 hr.s. Comes out great!![:p]
  • cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Deer works great, very lean. I've used an eye of round roast already and it came out pretty good. I've used soy sauce, liquid smoke, worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar in my marinades. 24 hours minimum. 6-8 hrs in the oven w/ door open. Keeps for a few weeks in the fridge.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The trick is low, slow, and plenty of air. I make deer jerky and i cut up some semi frozen hams into 1/4 in strips. Then marinate in your fav dales/ teriaki/ black and red pepper, overnight or 2 in the fridge. Then turn the oven on 150-160 and put a sheet of alum foil or a large baking sheet on the bottom. I then take toothpicks and hang them about 3/4 the way up in the rack. I put a wooden spoon in the door for air. I let em go about 4 hrs and usually eat most before i'm done. You can freeze the jerky or put it in a ziploc and leave it cracked open as they still are drying for several days. This is a true test to see if the wife will stick around or be one of those EX everyone has been braggin about... Mine "loves" it when I make jerky!!!
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got to be made with venison. I marinate over night in low salt soy sauce, lots of crushed red pepper flakes, some brown sugar, and a little
    black pepper. Into the six rack high dehydrator for as long as needed to make it dry. I take some out before it gets too dry, for a more chewy, meaty taste, and leave the rest in for the final "toughman" taste. I have one of those cheapie plastic trays stacked on each other above a heat source....think it came from wally world. Bob
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just as babun suggested ... be sure to stop the process before it seems quite dry. If you leave it in too long ... it comes out more brittle than the candy brittle ... you really don't want that ... you go further still and it'll take all the moisture out of you mouth for a good while.

Part of my first batch years ago crossed the line into the area of venison brittle. Never repeated that situation.
  • evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just like salt an pepper,maybe some red pepper on mine let it sit in frig over night.
    the good dehydo has a fan in it,trust me.
    the other one i has no fan an i need to swap racks every so often
    top to bottom.
    u use the best cuts of deer, if you cant use the best your not killin enough meat.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Brine/cure Soak for 24 hours 100% submerged.

1 qt Kikkoman reduced sodium soy sauce
    1/2 cup red wine or Jack Daniel's
    1 cup brown sugar
    Red pepper flakes (if you like it spicy)
    Garlic

Then I cure mine in my smoker with a combo of hickory/alder wood and as Alan Rushing said timing at the end is key. In my smoker I have to rotate the racks every few hours.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    I just use my oven and crack the door open.

? tsp garlic powder,
    ? tsp seasoned salt,
    2 Tbsp liquid smoke,
    ? cup soy sauce,
    ? cup Worcestershire sauce,
    1 tsp onion powder,
    ? tsp pepper.

Mix well,
    Add 3 lbs meat cut into strips.
    Marinate for a day or 2 in the fridge.
    Hang strips in oven, crack the door and heat to 175 degrees until it's dry but chewy, usually about 24 hours.
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you get caught and let it get too dry, just use it to make jerky broth. One large pc jerky in cup of steaming water, seep for 10 mins.

In the winter after a cold day, good way to warm in front of the fireplace.

Take 1/4-1/2 lb shave/chop into small pcs. add to 6 cups boiling water, voila soup base or stock.