In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Construction Guy Question

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in General Discussion
I need to replace four exterior doors. Two are on my home and two are on a rental. I really like the wood grain fiberglass ones and they would probably be fine for my place. I'm concerned about the other two. My worry is about sunlight deterioration of the finish. I've never had fiberglass doors before. My home's front and back doors face north and south and sun isn't a big problem. The other two (it's a double) the front doors face west and have no shade from trees or anything. Your advice guys.
Thanks,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plant trees. Don
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice Don but I would live long enough for them to grow large enough to be a factor.
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My metal clad over ??? aren't wood grained but easy to paint and are 35+ years old, located in "direct sunlight" (no shade) 8 hours? per day, look like new.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I can't figure out if you like fiberglass because it's on sale, or if you're too cheap to get a steel door.
    You might possibly get by with fiberglass if you lay on 2 coats of Marine Spar Varnish, because that should keep it from feathering & splitting off from sun exposure.
    But, a Front door?! Steel or Solid core with a couple coats of outdoor paint. And Ken's Pit Bull behind it![:D]
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go with the fiberglass have a professional apply the stain and clearcoat over it. They can be a bugger to stain but they're more energy efficient than steel and look a heck of a lot better.
    edited November -1
    First folks, I'm not cheap. I'm looking at appearance and I like the look of pre-finished fiberglass doors I see at Lowes. I don't want to do anything except have someone install them. I don't want any upkeep issues a few years away. Perhaps I'm asking too much for fiberglass in spite of how they look in the showroom.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    First folks, I'm not cheap. I'm looking at appearance and I like the look of pre-finished fiberglass doors I see at Lowes. I don't want to do anything except have someone install them. I don't want any upkeep issues a few years away. Perhaps I'm asking too much for fiberglass in spite of how they look in the showroom.

I think you are on the right track. Find the warranty for finish and that will be your guide for life cycle. Lowes may not be the best place to get this type of product. Most are considered construction grade, at best. I bought Lowes French Doors 10 years ago and they are not very good products (Jeld-Wen) the large windows with blinds inside the glass have lost their seal twice. I am done fiddling with it and will just buy a new door this spring.
  • bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My next door neighbor had them, they look exactly like wood and they finish exactly like wood, as such, they will need continuing refinishing in the future as would any wooden door.

We are in Florida and and have lots of sunshine, their doors face East, yet have lasted as long as any other door.

There are cheap fiberglass doors and then there are expensive fiberglass doors .... you get what you pay for. I wouldn't worry at all about longevity so long as they are maintained.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • patchnballpatchnball Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The jamb is just as important or more so than the doors. Lowes sells the Therma-tru fiberglass doors in THEIR jamb which is all wood. It WILL rot in a short time. Therma-tru sells their fiberglass doors in a composite jamb which will not rot. The doors do require maintenance but are more efficient than steel. Can also get them finished by the manufacture.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Yes, the jam is important to me. I was going with a steel door for my shop but the Mastercraft fiberglass door from Menards didn't use a bare wood jam on the outside part. I e-mailed them back & forth to see what that "limited warrantee" was. Well, the fiberglass finish has just one year and will need yearly help just like a wood door. The shop door isn't so important but I'm too old to work on the two house doors every year. I think I'll look for a steel door that doesn't have a bare wooden jam.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever you use make sure the top of the door won't allow water to get into the core! Even if you have to silicone it yourself.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    Whatever you use make sure the top of the door won't allow water to get into the core! Even if you have to silicone it yourself.

I thought wooden doors were unfinished so they could breathe and wouldn't warp?
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    If you go with the fiberglass have a professional apply the stain and clearcoat over it. They can be a bugger to stain but they're more energy efficient than steel and look a heck of a lot better.

This is dead on. Fiberglass is great till you try to stain it yourself.
    Use steel for your rentals