In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 grenade launcher, CHEAP!

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited June 2013 in General Discussion
well, I think it's going cheap....
already got two of 'em and payed a lot more....


http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=344577299


tom

btw, I have NOTHING to do with this auction or seller[:)]

Comments

  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Looks cheap to me.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I'm still waiting on MC to post up the perfect M1 for me. ( close to free and unissued in cosmoline).

    But I think you've spotted a bargain.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Does that gizmo actually uses a regular "pineapple" grenade?
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Does that gizmo actually uses a regular "pineapple" grenade?


    yep, at least the two I have do. also can luanch parachute flares, see my other post.[:)]

    tom
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I mounted launchers on O1E's in nam thought the pilots were crazy[:D]hedge
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I don't have a use for it. But cheap is accurate!!!

    15 min rule!!
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    ahhh, hell! the parts are worth more separately....



    tom
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Does that gizmo actually uses a regular "pineapple" grenade?


    A retaining clip holds the spoon of the grenade and then the pin is pulled. When fired inertia releases the clip, the spoon flies away and the grenade is armed. These are simple and reliable but are only suitable for a single launching due to the potential for the retaining clip to be damaged or weakened after firing. There is no good reason to take any chances using the thing twice with a live grenade!
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Does that gizmo actually uses a regular "pineapple" grenade?


    A retaining clip holds the spoon of the grenade and then the pin is pulled. When fired inertia releases the clip, the spoon flies away and the grenade is armed. These are simple and reliable but are only suitable for a single launching due to the potential for the retaining clip to be damaged or weakened after firing. There is no good reason to take any chances using the thing twice with a live grenade!


    thanks for the info Marc!!

    I bid on it but i'll just relist it, so if anyone wants it, no hard feelings if you outbid me[;)]


    tom
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of those. I actually bought a spare M-1 stock to put the grenade launcher sight onto, so I wouldn't mar up my original stock.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    Keep in mind that as it sits the M7 Launcher is not usable due to it's lacking the latch assembly which attaches the launcher to the rifle's bayonet lug.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    I see now that the auction has ended! Hopefully the buyer is aware of the situation with the latching assembly as well as the circular retaining spring at the end of the launching tube which secures the grenade. The seller omitted these little details, although the photo clearly showed it...If in fact you knew what to look for [V].

    [img][/img]M1lockscrew.jpg
    Left: Old style, no launcher. Right: New style for launcher
    [img][/img]01lockscrew.jpg
    Cylinder lock screw with the poppet open to allow gas venting. The stud on the M7 launcher pushes the valve open.

    The M7 Grenade Launcher:
    [img][/img]100_2468.jpg

    The launcher attached to the rifle using the bayonet mount:
    [img][/img]100_2517.jpg
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    I see now that the auction has ended! Hopefully the buyer is aware of the situation with the latching assembly as well as the circular retaining spring at the end of the launching tube which secures the grenade. The seller omitted these little details, although the photo clearly showed it...If in fact you knew what to look for [V].

    [img][/img]M1lockscrew.jpg
    Left: Old style, no launcher. Right: New style for launcher
    [img][/img]01lockscrew.jpg
    Cylinder lock screw with the poppet open to allow gas venting. The stud on the M7 launcher pushes the valve open.

    The M7 Grenade Launcher:
    [img][/img]100_2468.jpg

    The launcher attached to the rifle using the bayonet mount:
    [img][/img]100_2517.jpg


    thanks for the education! I should have looked at one of mine first. [B)]

    tom
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Looks like the henway is missing as well!![:(!]
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could also fire a high explosive grenade as well as the pineapple. I have fired both many times and they do kick. The high explosive grenade was a shaped charge I believe. I'm looking back 50 years.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    I'm still waiting on MC to post up the perfect M1 for me. ( close to free and unissued in cosmoline).

    But I think you've spotted a bargain.


    i dont know about the cosmoline part, but he's posted up some damn near perfect examples from the "special safe" recently. i dont think we'll be seeing the best examples of his collection(arguably the finest collection around) anytime soon...
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is wayyy to cheapt. Just the grenade adapter is net $50. The launcher is another $40 and I paid $25 for my sights.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    That is wayyy to cheapt. Just the grenade adapter is net $50. The launcher is another $40 and I paid $25 for my sights.



    I was looking at the parts value as well, but I honestly didn't notice the missing parts Mark pointed out.


    tom
  • Options
    TempestTempest Member Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad used to say, that thing (M1 launcher) bothered him more than anything he fired in the ARMY back then.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am confused what Mark was speaking of, it appears to attach tot he bayo lug perfectly fine.

    There are 2 types of launchers, 1 has a spring around the top to hold the grenade, and the other (like yours and mine) has the spring steel on the side to hold the rocket. This looks like an earlier launcher to me.

    But then again, I wont argue with MC, so if he says so, then that how it is.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang it all! You guys got me started thinking and that hurts my head! I seem to remember the launcher I used was a M7A? something. I never did get the hang of the sight on the side of the rifle. I could just estimate and do just as good. That is lobbing them for some distance of course. At 75-100 yards you would just hold over the target a little and hope.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,302 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    I'm still waiting on MC to post up the perfect M1 for me. ( close to free and unissued in cosmoline).

    But I think you've spotted a bargain.


    i dont know about the cosmoline part, but he's posted up some damn near perfect examples from the "special safe" recently. i dont think we'll be seeing the best examples of his collection(arguably the finest collection around) anytime soon...
    He certainly has put up some beautiful M1's.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    It's the "close to free" piece that is lacking. [;)]
Sign In or Register to comment.