In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone else got a winter project going right now?

35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
I do, and managed to score this little gem earlier today to help further it along.[:D][8D][^]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=208420006

Anyone else got a project going?
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.

Comments

• Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    i thought only the receivers of machine guns had to be demilled?
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    i thought only the receivers of machine guns had to be demilled?

That what I thought too, but I see that some parts kits, like the larger MG's (Russian DShK's), now come with demilled barrels. Don't know why the barrels aren't left alone.

Perhaps Mark Christian can fill in the blanks for us?[;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have 3 or 4 projects going. Just other stuff comes up that has to be done first. Got one project that is about 10 years passed due to be finished. Got most of the parts, just need to do it.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    When Uncle Sam is finished with his toys he no longer tosses them out into the trash, he cuts them up and sends them out for scrap. Back in the old days the Army used to make a small cut in a firearm receiver or barrel, call it DEMILed and then bring in the junk man in to haul it away. There was treasure in that scrap metal and too many M1s, as well as a few M14 and M16, receivers got picked out of the scrap heap, welded back together and then turned into functional firearms. Anything firearms related is now petty well trashed before the scrap man gets his hands on it. The importation of barrels for machine guns and certain semi automatic military and military style rifles, basically everything Poppa Bush (Dullard One) banned in 1989, have been banned from importation since the start of Dullard The Deuces (GW) second term in 2004.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a project going on now. I'm restoring back to cosmetically good condition a Colt Police positive in .32/20wcf. It will be given BACK to the widow of the owner who was a sheriff in the next town where I live. He carried that gun for his entire life on the job.
    And I must add this: A member of the forums donated a period correct holster and belt to me, and NOW another member just offered to supply 18 "dummy" rounds for the gun and belt loops.
    These great guys have a special "thank you" coming to them when I'm finished. And the names will NOT be withheld, they deserve a "atta-boy". The names and pics of the finished gun/holster/plaque, I will post here as soon as done. Bob
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now that Grandma is retired, I need to get out from under her feet on occasion. So I have been waiting until the time was right to work on the engine of my old 41 Ford out in the barn. Now the time has come to get out there and get busy. Only thing holding me back is that I feel like crap right now. Maybe in a few days.[:)]

If I want to do something less strenuous, I can always go to the barn and clean brass or reload. [:D]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I was going to build a FAL from a G1 parts kit.

I realized I just did not have the tools or skill to do that.

I have it being built as we speak, and I'll post pics when I get it back

SO, that said, I think I'll get my N-scale train layout going again. It's been down since we got the cat in Fall 08
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    When Uncle Sam is finished with his toys he no longer tosses them out into the trash, he cuts them up and sends them out for scrap. Back in the old days the Army used to make a small cut in a firearm receiver or barrel, call it DEMILed and then bring in the junk man in to haul it away. There was treasure in that scrap metal and too many M1s, as well as a few M14 and M16, receivers got picked out of the scrap heap, welded back together and then turned into functional firearms. Anything firearms related is now petty well trashed before the scrap man gets his hands on it. The importation of barrels for machine guns and certain semi automatic military and military style rifles, basically everything Poppa Bush (Dullard One) banned in 1989, have been banned from importation since the start of Dullard The Deuces (GW) second term in 2004.

Yep, got it right, no longer a 3 cut rule according to the BATF, the barrel is included in the cut so it at minimum is 4 now. And no imports without the standard new ruling.