In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Some buyer is going to be VERY unhappy!

Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,713 ******
edited November 2013 in General Discussion
I came across this auction which is scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 2nd, although they are accepting Pre-bids. It's listed as a Winchester Model 1866 .44 "Rem fire", which should have said "Rimfire". The current bid is $1,100 plus 8% buyer's premium plus $60 shipping and an FFL transfer fee. Obviously, the winning bidder thinks he's bidding on a genuine Winchester or is simply a certified moron. The winning bid will likely be much higher on auction day.

Take a look at this gun closely. It is NOT a real gun but merely a "decorator" or "prop" gun! It's just cheap pot metal and these usually sell for a couple of hundred bucks as wallhangers. The seller says "there's an obstruction in the barrel" and should be considered as a "non-firing gun" but never states that it isn't a real gun at all!

The winning bidder is going to have a rude awakening when they see what they really bought.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=2856&aid=72020&lid=17879194&title=Winchester-model-1866-.44-Rem-Fire

Here's a similar non-firing replica on GunBroker from an honest seller:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=372994588

Caveat Emptor! [:0]

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,657 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DO a man a favor and report the auction as a fraud.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With those small pics [even when expanded}, I find it "hard" to say it is a replica. Please tell me how you are sure it is a nongun?
    Almost all the nonguns, I've seen have no or cheap sights on them.

Why would They state a FFL is needed for it anyway?? Most auction houses know what they got and many ask for A FFL to handle even pre 1898 guns to protect their auctioneer licenses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    DO a man a favor and report the auction as a fraud.

The auction house may not even know. I sent them an e-mail through their Facebook account.
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Caveat Emptor, indeed! Too bad so many things for sale make this term necessary![:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    With those small pics [even when expanded}, I find it "hard" to say it is a replica. Please tell me how you are sure it is a nongun?
    Almost all the nonguns, I've seen have no or cheap sights on them.

Why would They state a FFL is needed for it anyway?? Most auction houses know what they got and many ask for A FFL to handle even pre 1898 guns to protect their auctioneer licenses.

1866 Winchesters have brass frames, not gray metal. There are also no markings anywhere.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks!! I don't do the old winneys. Now I know !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's one just like it: $157 brand new.

http://www.historicreplicaguns.com/1866-winchester-replica-rifle.html

22-1140G.jpg

This M1866 was a legend of the Old West. The lever action works just like the original. Hanging on your wall or over the fireplace, folks will think it's the real thing.

This unique replica gun has an antique gray finish and wooden stock and foregrip.

Here's a real 1866 Winchester. Note the brass frame and butt plate:

DSCF4021.JPG
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IBTL[;)][:o)][;)][:o)]
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are correct. Receiver is not brass. Never seen zinc & copper turn grey unless the alloy is near pure zinc. An obvious replica of some type.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure doesn't look real to me. Should be brass frame. Sight doesn't look right. Not even close to price of a genuine 66.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice pick up Spider!

Shame on the seller...
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ouch and he never saw it coming. [:0][:0][:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just got an e-mail from the auction company. They're going to look into it and thanked me.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,368 ******
    edited November -1
    Personally, I would have had no idea. But then again, I have no use for a gun with an obstructed bbl, and would not be in the bidding.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The gun has been removed. I'm glad I e-mailed them and I'm sure they are, too. [:)]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,355 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    The gun has been removed. I'm glad I e-mailed them and I'm sure they are, too. [:)]
    [;)][;)][;)]Good work,Spidy,,
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what he gets for not using GB