In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Romex Connector Question

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in General Discussion
I have used crimp type connectors for years but it was for joining 20-24 ga stranded wire. I need to join some 14 ga solid copper wire and don't know what product to use. The winged twist type connectors claim that they are appropriate but the solid wire concerns me. What do you guys suggest. Thanks folks,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes the twist type is appropriate, BUT you cannot put it behind anything you don't have ready access to. Like inside a wall or in the ceiling, unless you put in an access box to make the spice. Like an electrical box with a cover over it, accessible from your living space
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get good info at the 3M website.

Look at 3M twist connectors.

For my own wiring connections I give the SOLID COPPER wiring some twist lead before installing the twist on connector. (reduces the chance of a bad connection especially when several solid wires are in one connector and especially if connecting a stranded wire to a solid wire) In other words I make a good connection by twisting the wires together (giving them some lead) before installing the twist on connector.

I also use the High heat type twist connectors in area where heat might be a concern.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The standard for 14 and 12 gauge solid wire is to strip 1/2" insulation off wire. Pigtail twist the copper wire several turns. The n cap with proper sized connectors till tight. This method is the same for romex and bx type wires.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always put tape around whatever i splice together if i use wire nuts. I am not an industrial electrician.

I would not let anyone use wire nuts unless we were in a down time situation costing ten thousand dollars a minuet.

Then Sat i would come in and make a home run out of the wiring.

Depending on what broke down where we were charged up to 18000 dollars a minuet. They gave us 15 minuets a month free.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They make a Romex connector that is in some areas actually approved for inaccessible spaces if I am not mistaken

Sell it at Home Depot
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-3-Wire-1-Clam-CPGI-208169-2/202204327
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    They make a Romex connector that is in some areas actually approved for inaccessible spaces if I am not mistaken

Sell it at Home Depot
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-3-Wire-1-Clam-CPGI-208169-2/202204327

Killer but expensive if a lot of those are needed
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wire Nuts for residential use have been around for over 80 years.

Personally didn't know there was anything else for 12ga and below wire when I was an electricians helper in the 60's.

Use the correct size. Have built and remodelled many houses in South America. They did not use wire nuts 15 years ago for residential electrical because no one sold wire nuts. It was cheaper to "twist" and tape. Labor was cheaper than a wire nut.

The locals were in AWE when seeing my masterful wire nut installations. They become more common in the last 5 years. Same with ty-wraps.

Keep a supply for all sizes. Red, yellow, grey, blue, orange ??? critical connections I'll twist them together with pliers before twisting on the wire nut.

I've twisted, wire nutted and taped a few when they were in the roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twist-on_wire_connector

Also use the "wago" push on connectors, good for boxes with many commons. Don't really trust them as much as a wire nut.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys. I should have mentioned that this will be in an inside wall and I will be using a metal box w/ cover. The wall has ribbed siding (screwed on) so I can get to it if necessary. This job is in my shop rather than my home.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wire nuts are fine. I have found the yellow is good for about 2/3 14ga wires the red are better for three or more. As stated twist the wires together with your Kline's and put the nut on tight. Make sure your work is in a box. If applying heavy loads to the circuit taping will assure they do not get loose from the heat cycles.
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always give wires a little tug after twist on cap for whatever its worth especially on small wire like ballast reinstalls.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Wire nuts are fine. I have found the yellow is good for about 2/3 14ga wires the red are better for three or more. As stated twist the wires together with your Kline's and put the nut on tight. Make sure your work is in a box. If applying heavy loads to the circuit taping will assure they do not get loose from the heat cycles.

Wire nuts for me, I don't tape if outside, Twist them tight. TIGHT, so that the romex twists into a spiral 2-3 turns. Point the nuts up, you'll never have moisture issues.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duct tape. If that doesn't work, follow Remingtonoaks answer, cause that is the correct one.[;)]
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    Duct tape. If that doesn't work, follow Remingtonoaks answer, cause that is the correct one.[;)]

RIGHT.

(readily accessible)
    I
    Inside a wall covered up by paneling, etc is not a good thing. Not allowed per NEC reg's.