In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thinking about some beef cows......

Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in General Discussion
Wife and I are looking at buying a few beef cows, with an eye on filling the freezer for the next few years. Now we have never done this before, and are looking for links/advise on how to proceed.
We have a 45 acre piece of land where the cows will be housed, but it's 3 hours away from where we live. We do have a local who is running cows on the property gratis at this time, but we don't want to take over-advantage of him on this.
Should we purchase a cow/calf combo with an eye on breeding the cow for future issue, or just buy a few weaned calfs to raise and slaughter.
Yep - total newb on this and would appreciate any info from you seasoned veterans on this subject.
Further info - we want this to be a sustainable situation for the future, and will be moving onto the property within the next 4-5 years so we will have an every-day-hands-on situation at that time.
Anyhoo, thanks for reading this far. If you have advice, please bring it.

Comments

• Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Way to many things involved in raising cattle. Cheaper to just buy a side of beef unless you raise your own feed.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should get FREE meat (1/2 a beef), including processing for your acreage now. Pasture ain't free.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    You should get FREE meat (1/2 a beef), including processing for your acreage now. Pasture ain't free.

Roger that. We just don't want to take advantage of the local guy. He already does a lot for us as far as watching the property and making sure the fences are mended. He's also a really good guy with a family in "not the best" financial situation.

We are just looking for the best way to raise some cows for our freezer for the next 40 years.....LOL.
  • Options
    edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    Wait until you are living on the property. Beef cows will need to be feed during the winter so you will need someone to feed them everyday. You will need a place to store hay for the winter. Do you have a water source for the winter? Is there a barn in place for them to get out of the weather? You need to raise them for about 2 years to get to a prime slaughter weight.

I would buy locally raised beef until you are settled in. You can usually buy a half of beef off {elsewhere}. On 45 acres you should be able to raise 4 or 5 head of cattle, and have sufficient feed during the summer.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141

Roger that. We just don't want to take advantage of the local guy. He already does a lot for us as far as watching the property and making sure the fences are mended. He's also a really good guy with a family in "not the best" financial situation.

We are just looking for the best way to raise some cows for our freezer for the next 40 years.....LOL.

Sorry, I must be a bit slow on the uptake. So this "really good guy" is using your land for free and helping you out by "watching the property" and "making sure the fences are mended." In other words he has his cows on your land, he shows up regularly to check on them, and when they knock down a fence he repairs it so they don't run away.

That he's putting one over on you is remarkable. That you are aware of what is going on and think he's actually doing you a favor is unbelieveable.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    +1[:0][:0][:0]quote:Originally posted by mlincoln

Sorry, I must be a bit slow on the uptake. So this "really good guy" is using your land for free and helping you out by "watching the property" and "making sure the fences are mended." In other words he has his cows on your land, he shows up regularly to check on them, and when they knock down a fence he repairs it so they don't run away.

That he's putting one over on you is remarkable. That you are aware of what is going on and think he's actually doing you a favor is unbelieveable.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1

You are getting screwed! That guy should be giving you at least half a beef, MINIMUM! Do you have any idea what pasture land rents for these days????????

Merc

quote:Originally posted by mlincoln

• Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No beef cattle experience all I would do is think about it. Goats is what you need.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Tech141, I know nothing bout cows,
    but if you feel "comfortable" about letting this
    guy use your land. Let things stand.
    Maybe you could take a ride up there and talk
    to the farmer/rancher to see if he could fit
    a couple more animals into his budget and have
    them slaughtered for you.
    ron

ps The cows are "sweetening" your land on the
    upside.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As others have said don't do this until you live there. Once you live there, don't do this. You will find out that "your" beef will cost way more than twice as much as beef at your local store. If you are looking for cheap beef this ain't happening. If you are looking for an expensive hobby, knock yourself out, have fun and enjoy yourself.
    A better way to go is buy a few Holstein deacon calves late winter every year, timing purchase with weaning date coinciding with best guess on when grass will be coming on. Butcher come fall when you run out of grass.
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    Tech141, I know nothing bout cows,
    but if you feel "comfortable" about letting this
    guy use your land. Let things stand.
    Maybe you could take a ride up there and talk
    to the farmer/rancher to see if he could fit
    a couple more animals into his budget and have
    them slaughtered for you.
    ron

ps The cows are "sweetening" your land on the
    upside.
    I know nothing of the topic at hand, but I was thinking the same thing. For the time being see if the guy can just handle a couple extra for you.
  • Options
    dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider what I did.
    Worked it out that 1 cow is mine , he takes care of it inclding breeding . That way I get a calf every breeding cycly. I pay the slaughter bill.
    He is happy and I have beef in the freezer.
  • Options
    williwmwilliwm Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good list, might continue to add some; Wormer, fly control, dehorning(depending on breed), alarm clock to check on bred heifers and cows at calving time(every 2 or 3 hours) a friend to help with calving problems( must be able to help at 3AM)large needles and shoestring to sew a prolapse, backhoe to bury dead animals, insurance(optional of course,lost 6 animals to lightening, friend lost 50+)
  • Options
    texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps you need to lease your land and use the money from that to buy what you want. Lease fees are usually dependent on the pasture quality. The lease can require all those things your tenant already does.....

I do this with all our company lands in many states. Fair to all....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Let's See,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now FCD, you know you love it......[;)]
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    How about Talapia instead?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by texaswildman
    Let's See,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's a way of life, but the key word there is "life". You're all-in, or you're not in the game.

Yep, 100%
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Forgemonkey, one thing you are missing on that list:

36. Veterinary bills
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of things missing

37. Putting your arm up to your shoulder in a cow to save the baby and the cow. Done it many times.

38. Also, taken you knife and cutting the sack open and removing the testicles.

39. Getting in a pen with a 2000 pound bull to load or doctor.
  • Options
    flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And another thing . . . folks day-dreaming about raising their own "cheap" beef always seem to have visions of T-bones and prime rib . . . fact is, you need to have a preference for hamburger and soup-bones. Check with your butcher and see how even a half-beef "grades" before you decide. With 45 acres of pasture, you're better off to get market value for the grazing and spend that on the cuts you want.

Current BLM rate is $1.65 per AUM (animal unit month) and pasture rent depends on the quality of the forage.

FCD, you could look a little happier ! [:)]
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget the long pointy knife to stab yer beef just off the hip bone to keep it from dieing from "bloating", then the vet bill to come patch that up.

And magnets to run through them, when they've grubbed up old chunks of staples/nails/whatever else, and the antibiotics that go with those.
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FCD; what is that contraption just under the blizzard picture?

Ditto on "way of life"; used to go to a 25,000+ acre ranch in WY for prarie dogs that is a working 400+ head cattle ranch, and I learned a lot about the way of life at the breakfast and dinnet table.
    Example: nearest town of 3-4 thousand is 50 miles away.
    Use a Gradall to plow the 3 mile driveway and get hay to the herd in winter.
    Sure, the sunsets are beautiful and the stars are amazing, but you bust your butt to be able to enjoy it.

BTW: I asked that very question that has been covered here very well: NO, they do Not slaughter their own beef , as they get more for them on the hoof selling to a feed lot, because they get paid for Every thing; hooves, ears, lips,(ever read the ingredients on Vienna sausage?)steaks, etc.

On a prarie dog trip to South Dakota trip near Kadoka at a little diner, I got a sample of Western humor , but it has the ring of truth.
    Early September, mid-70's, clear blue sky, I said to the kid pouring my tea what a beautiful day it was; without missing a beat his reply was," Come back in February"

Sorry about hi-jacking the thread, but the subject brought back a lot of memories, Wish I could go back.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Oops! You know you're gonna get a load of crap for being a 'oush-over' don't ya? Personally, I think you'd fit in out here in Idaho.

Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by texaswildman
    Let's See,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's a way of life, but the key word there is "life". You're all-in, or you're not in the game.

A man who knows the score. Hurrah!

Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Let's See,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1. Pasture land,,,,,,,,,,,,,Check_

2. Hay for winter,,,,,,,,,,,_ "

3. Hay storage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,_ "

4. Pickup,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,_ Check

5. Stock trailer,,,,,,,,,,,,_ Check

6. Salt/Mineral blocks,,,,,, "_

7. Squeeze chute,,,,,,,,,,,, "_

8. Branding equipment,,,,,,, "_

9. Wire stretchers,,,,,,,,,, Check_

10. Fencing pliers,,,,,,,,,,_ Check

11. Post hole diggers,,,,,,,_ Check

12. Post driver,,,,,,,,,,,,,_ Check

13. T-posts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,_ Check

14. Calf puller,,,,,,,,,,,,, "_

15. Needles/syringes,,,,,,,,_ "

16. Protein tub/supplement,, "_

17. Antibiotics,,,,,,,,,,,,,_ "

18. Brucellois/Vet bill,,,,,_ "

19. Available water,,,,,,,,,_ Check

20. Liability ins.,,,,,,,,,,_ "

21. Post tamper,,,,,,,,,,,,,_ "

22. Barbed wire,,,,,,,,,,,,, Check_

23. Hammer/staples,,,,,,,,,,_ Check

24. Suitable boots/ gloves,,_ Check

25. Truck/fuel/repairs,,,,,, Check_

26. Market fluluctuation,,,,_ "

27. Unexpected mortality,,,, "

28. Catch rope,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "

I'm missing sumptin,,,,,oh yeah, the cost of the livestock !!!!

Nice list. Got a few already....

I really appreciate the replies. You've given me some good insight and lots of stuff to ponder.

Thanks Again!
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cows are worse than kids, constant care and you really can not send them to Papas house for some time off. Don
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Let's See,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1. Pasture land,,,,,,,,,,,,,Check_

2. Hay for winter,,,,,,,,,,,_ "

3. Hay storage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,_ "

4. Pickup,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,_ "

5. Stock trailer,,,,,,,,,,,,_ "

6. Salt/Mineral blocks,,,,,, "_

7. Squeeze chute,,,,,,,,,,,, "_

8. Branding equipment,,,,,,, "_

9. Wire stretchers,,,,,,,,,, "_

10. Fencing pliers,,,,,,,,,,_ "

11. Post hole diggers,,,,,,,_ "

12. Post driver,,,,,,,,,,,,,_ "

13. T-posts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,_ "

14. Calf puller,,,,,,,,,,,,, "_

15. Needles/syringes,,,,,,,,_ "

16. Protein tub/supplement,, "_

17. Antibiotics,,,,,,,,,,,,,_ "

18. Brucellois/Vet bill,,,,,_ "

19. Available water,,,,,,,,,_ "

20. Liability ins.,,,,,,,,,,_ "

21. Post tamper,,,,,,,,,,,,,_ "

22. Barbed wire,,,,,,,,,,,,, "_

23. Hammer/staples,,,,,,,,,,_ "

24. Suitable boots/ gloves,,_ "

25. Truck/fuel/repairs,,,,,, "_

26. Market fluluctuation,,,,_ "

27. Unexpected mortality,,,, "

28. Catch rope,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "

I'm missing sumptin,,,,,oh yeah, the cost of the livestock !!!!
    YEP
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to mention the God awful smell![:(]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just looked through the local free shopper a while ago and saw several ads for bred cows/heifers starting at $1800 and going up to $2250. Your OP indicated "beef cows" but then you're talking about freezer beef. I'd say your "local" who's getting free pasture should be more than happy to include a couple of steers(that you buy)in his herd(that's a pretty big word for however many cattle he's running on 45 acres)for you to butcher later. Problem is that grass beef isn't what most folks want to eat and it might take 2 years for a steer to get to butcher size on just grass. Most places don't have enough natural bite it off the stump grass to run cattle through the winter and require suplemental feeding. At the current price of hay, feeding hay to a couple of steers over the winter(or 2) might end up costing more than the free pasture is worth.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    Not to mention the God awful smell![:(]

That's strikes me as odd because I like the smell of a barnyard. As long as there are no goats.

Clouder..
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great list! Points out many of the costs. Am I being blind or am I not seeing those things necessary to provide water to the cows??

Things not on the list: Wind storm knocks over a cherry tree with the leaves on it at the back of your pasture so you don't notice the cherry tree is down over the fence. The next day or two you wonder why your $3,000 bull isn't with your cows. You go looking, there is your bull and one of your cows dead from eatting those cherry tree leaves.

One of those summer storms with a bunch of rain and hail come across your pasture. Because of the wind and hail a bunch of your cows huddle under a tree in the pasture. After the storm blows over you go out to check your cows. A big bunch of them are laying in a circle around that tree, deader than dirt because the tree got hit by lightning.

A large tree limb falls on your fence, crushing the fence to the ground. A couple of cows wonder out on to the road during the night and someone hits them, screwing up their car, or worse, themselves and sue you.

Been there, done a bunch of this and would not be dumb enough to do it again.

As I stated earlier, maybe a couple of deacon calves every year or two but no cows, no way in H...!