In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Christmas Tree

NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
Fake[:0] or Real[:)]
I my self would prefer real BUT i like what is put up[;)][:D]
My wife asked me to get the tree down from the attic today,
SO it is fake tree this year[:(]
What say you[?]

Comments

• Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    Wife said she wants to get the Christmas tree up this weekend----a chore I never look forward to.

When will you put up your tree?
  • Options
    timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 Vote REAL.

the reasons....

better for the environment,
    smell nice,
    support local business (if you buy locally)
    look nicer
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    I'm the only one left in my family that goes real. I hope that nothing forces me to get a fake tree.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we havn't had a real tree since i brought one in that tore the ceiling tile down[:D][:D]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Neither. Bah Humbug.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the smell of a real tree, but I can have that smell without the mess and my fake tree holds ornaments better than the real tree (and it looks great even toward the end of the season.)
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Call me old-fashioned but I stick with time-honored traditions. [:D]

Festivus_Pole.jpg
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't consider it a fake.It is what it is.
    A symbol, for whatever it means to you.

I have an "artificial" tree. It is always beautiful, I don't have to go out and find a $90 tree every year, cut the bottom, try to make it fit in a $50 stand, keep it watered, clean up the mess, and then try to figure out how to dispose of it.

Had my share of cut trees, cut them myself for years, then bought a lot more.
    Then I started noticing that I was having respiratory infections every Christmas, making for a miserable time when everybody was having fun enjoying the holidays. Always started a week or so after bringing in a "live" tree.

Got my first artificial one, haven't been sick at Christmas since.
    When it's decorated, not many can tell it's not a cut tree. Put it up anytime, keep it as long as I want. Can't say I miss "real" trees.
  • Options
    edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    we always get a real tree. We have a tradition were the whole family goes to my sisters house and we wander arounf the woods looking at trees. We wander for a couple of hours looking a bunch of trees and usually end up cutting down the first one we saw. After all the trees are cut and dragged out we will have a big spaghetti dinner and let the kids play aut in the snow while the adults sit around and chat.
  • Options
    dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We make a big deal to put up a real tree.
    Sister and family drive 80 miles ad we all go to farm and pick a tree. Wife cooke and Kide start trimming the tree .
    Christmas eve sister;daughter and familes spend the night waiting for Santa to come. Kinda crowded but i like it.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Artificial, not allergic to those. The lights and ornaments are real though.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fake Christmas tree = Work of Satan

I hate em! Only real trees for me, I am a Nature Boy.
  • Options
    garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by timinpa
    1 Vote REAL.

the reasons....

better for the environment,
    smell nice,
    support local business (if you buy locally)
    look nicer

How is it better for the environment?
    You are cutting down a live tree to put in your house for a few weeks.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take the $50 bucks each year for a real tree and give it to toys for tots. Our old fake tree works just fine.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Real. We usually cut one in the mountains, but this year we're wimping out and getting a nice one from a nursery.
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    I take the $50 bucks each year for a real tree and give it to toys for tots. Our old fake tree works just fine.

I do about the same thing but I just add the money to a kids christmas giveaway here.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have 4' Norfolk pine that grows indoors, year round. [^]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My last real tree was 14 feet! I brought it inside while it was in one of those Chinese finger trap plastic things. I couldn't fit it through the door after Christmas to get it outside!! Thank God for a shop Vac and a sawz all!!!
    My "articicial tree is 10 feet tall and it's pre-lit!!!
    Bah-Humbug!!
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    real...this year we might buy a potted tree, so we can plant it. Most years we get a 9' fresh cut tree.
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Fake now the kids have grown and if it is left uo for the little Christmas Jan 6th no worry of it drying out.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Christmas tree two Years ago was Real and 17 Ft tall
    I Vote Real tree[^]
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a fake, and I happened into the tent of real trees at home depot this year and that smell hit me and it dawned on me, Christmas doesn't feel the same because it doesn't smell the same.

I want a real tree.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    I Vote Real tree[^]

I need to start selling turkey calls...
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    I Vote Real tree[^]

Woody, where in the heck did you put up a 17' ft tree???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got home with my 2011 Christmas Tree! She's small for now standing at 4' but she'll go into the ground after Christmas and in 20 years or so she'll be 80' tall and 30' wide! Norway Spruce

Starting a tradition this year, going to plant them every year from now on rather than buy cut ones.

SAM_0272.jpg
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a 12' artificial in the front room and 8 ft Frasier fir in the keeping room. Love the smell of the firs. I just wish the Balsam firs were not so expensive....
  • Options
    timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a hippie, but I like shilowar's idea, a real one that can be planted.
  • Options
    burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    We have a 12' artificial in the front room and 8 ft Frasier fir in the keeping room. Love the smell of the firs. I just wish the Balsam firs were not so expensive....

Cap? Whats a keeping room? Yes I'm young.........
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Fake now the kids have grown and if it is left uo for the little Christmas Jan 6th no worry of it drying out.

+1
    one year i left it up until valentines day[:D]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fresh cut here. Been a long standing family tradition. 4 trucks, 6 designated drivers (you know were this is going[:D]) and most of the wives in the family are crocked by noon, from the brandy being passed around. Then after the harvest, a picnic lunch.

Did 11 trees this year! Even the family Grinch got one!!![8D]
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gave up on the Clark Griswold tree a long time ago....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burdz19
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

Cap? Whats a keeping room? Yes I'm young.........

Something kinda between a Family room and a Great Room,

See http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-keeping-room.htm
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would rather have a real one, but this artificial one does not make me sneeze.....

001-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now the real question. Lights. Old School, mini bulbs or LED? White or multi colored? flashing or still?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by timinpa
    I'm not a hippie, but I like shilowar's idea, a real one that can be planted.

LOL I'm not a hippie either. I like spruce trees and want to plant some all over my property. Have a blue Spruce out front I planted last year that has lights and lighted candy canes on it and I'll plant this spruce somewhere else on the property.

It just seemed like a waste to buy a beautiful 9' tree just to drag it out into the woods after Christmas. This way I can plant them and they'll remind me of good memories! I could spend $50 on a 9' tree that's going to die, or $30 on a 4' tree that will grow into a huge tree someday. Hopefully in 30 years I'll be around to see it!
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We planted dwarf blue spruces in the front when we built a few years ago and we light those. A small fake one inside as we do not have kids.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******
    edited November -1
    All of ya'll are invited to my place to dig up your own cedar tree for Christmas.
    The only condition is:
    If you take one, you have to take 10.[:D]