In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

also on bow hunting side

ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in General Discussion
Posted - 11/30/2008 : 7:48:01 PM

ok as some of you guys may remenber awhile back had a house fire. well finally cool enough here this yr to wear some of my heavy jackets and stuff. took them out of storage and lord do they still smell smoky. they was professionally cleaned before storage any ideas on how to get smell out. have washed twice with no scent but no luck there don't want to get rid of them but they are no use smelling that bad figured if ican smell them the deer will be able to smell me a mile away

Topic

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try using baking soda then hang them outside to dry if possible.If they are down filled,there probably no help.During cold weather though the deer will probably be used to a little smoky smell
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Miracle cure pet stain remove..Works great on smoke...Had friend that had a fire a year ago and it took the smell out of everything, cloths, down pillows, even the carpet
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    why would the smell of smoke be a problem? my mother has had deer walk up to her to investigate the smell when she was smoking a cig on a stump. scared the snit out of her. id think smoke would be a better smell then your human scent. id think only deer that hadent seen their first winter yet MIGHT be spooked by it.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,660 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    why would the smell of smoke be a problem? my mother has had deer walk up to her to investigate the smell when she was smoking a cig on a stump. scared the snit out of her. id think smoke would be a better smell then your human scent. id think only deer that hadent seen their first winter yet MIGHT be spooked by it.

When bowhunting you'd want to set up up wind, anyway. Deep woods deer may have never smelled smoke, but most deer have.
    I think that human perspiration is what deer avoid most.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Don't sweat it, unless it's because it's bothering you.As far as the smell, fire/smoke won't tip-off any deer that's old enough to be a good "shooter".
    My.02
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The smoky smell might actually be a good cover. [:D]

On another note, your insurance company (assuming you filed a claim) owes to "make you whole." That means, if the professional cleaning did not get out the smell (which is common), they owe to replace the clothing.

Used to deal with this all the time when I was an adjuster. Usually, they'll pay you a depreciated amount based on the item(s) age, and then the rest when you actually replace it and provide the receipt (if you choose to do so). Probably will not collect the old clothing either, which means you can get a new coat, and still go hunting with your handy "burnt house" cover scent coat.

If you kill a really big buck (or maybe just borrow one), take good pictures with your coat on, and then use it to start your own new trendy line of scented wonder clothing. Slap a fancy label on it, and the new generation of TV-brainwashed hunters will pay anything for it.
  • Options
    dongilldongill Member Posts: 2,640
    edited November -1
    They use ozone to take the smell of smoke from autos!