In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help me buy ar-15

legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
i am looking to buy an AR15 but i have never owned one.i would like to stay under $1000 the $850 range would be better. i need info as to whats needed on an AR. i have seen some DPMS sporticals for$700 but they dont have foward assist.is it needed? i also like the CARBON15 how good is this gun compared to alloy guns? any and all info and what to look for would be of great help!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    is there a real need for a forward assist?
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legear
    is there a real need for a forward assist?

not for target/plinking scenarios.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No real need for the forward assist....it was just there for clearing the jammed rounds when shooting full auto during combat when the rifle gets dirty and no time to clean it.

I HATE the carbon 15.....not really hate...but just don't like it anywhere near as much as the Olympic AR pistol. The carbon 15 isn't really an AR. It has so much changed around from a true AR where the Olypmic is the real deal.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Doesnt olympic arms make many of the parts for other companies?
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A sportical DPMS will serve you fine for target shooting,......I own one myself.

No forward assist, and no dust cover as well as optics only.
    You can buy QD sites for them though.

That is about all you will get in your price range.
    I paid 600 bucks for mine but that was in October I believe.

I would not base my life on an AR without FA, or a dust cover though.
    You need to determine your purpose.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Listen to Mark.

Don't skimp.

Doug
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chrishiher
    Doesnt olympic arms make many of the parts for other companies?

Yes.
    And they are the only AR manufacturer that makes every part that goes into their own rifles.
    There is no other AR manufaturer that doesn't buy parts from sub contractors.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    My wife has an Olympic Arms Plinker Plus. Pre election, we got it for 600 bucks shipped. It is basically a fixed stock CAR 15 with the older Nam style A1 upper. But it has everything you need, if you want a military type rifle. They have a 20in long rifle version for some more cash.

Other options are to buy a complete lower assembly from some maker and then get a complete upper.
  • Options
    zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck, your 6 months too late for those prices. A M+P 15 that went for $850 in august now sells for $1200. If you want to learn alot about Ar's check out http://www.ar15.com/ lots of good info over there and alot of faces from here.
  • Options
    ogreeogree Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got my Bushmaster about a year ago, for about $900. At the time I thought that was a little steep. Today you'll be lucky to find it for half again as much.
    If you can find anything mentioned above for less than $1500, you'd better jump on it.
    Semper Fedelis
    NRA Patron Life Member
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    build one, you can do it for $850. Like others said, look out on ar15.com to get all the info you will need.
  • Options
    redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aviod vulcan and hesse
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The forward assist is to put a round into battery when the gun is dirty and gets gummed up.
    The forward assist manually forces the bolt forward.
    Not needed if you clean your gun after shooting.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would seriously consider a Bushmaster, Ive seen many on the range over the yrs and they seem to be the most reliable and durable. My issue AR is a Bushmaster and so is my own AR and I love them. I heard that Bushmaster bought out DPMS which is also a great AR. Good Luck.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Cerberus,a private capital management company bought Remington, DPMS, Bushmaster, and Marlin.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bushmaster, Olympic, Armalite, Rock River, DPMS, Colt, Stag! Not necessarily in that order, but IMHO those are the best choices! There are so many configs to choose from you really need to figure out what you are most likely to use it for first, then choose.

IMHO a forward assist is a must. Yes if you maintain you rifle like you should chances are you won't need it, but it is like a condom, better to have and not need than to need and not have!

Everybody right now is after the carbines and the next time I am in a shop and someone asks for a flat-top I think I'm gonna puke! Optics are nice but no matter how well made they can still fail. And flip up backup sights look cool as heck and are logical with optics but still a chance for failure as well. I suggest that if you are buying it "just in case the poop hits the fan" you look toward a fixed carry handle and A1 or A2 config sights. Cause if you tear those up the rifle is more likely useless anyway.
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a kit and build it. It's the only way you'll get one for the price you stated that isn't a POS and doesn't have a 4-6 month backlog.

Here's one on GB.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=123894694

You can get a lower receiver over on the auction side, too. Total cost would be <$850. <$800 if you used a superior arms lower.
  • Options
    lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good of you to ask questions like this for advice, I got some here too. Difference is, I asked those same questions about 14 months ago and got one for a more modest price. That same gun I have about $1400 in "sort of" tricked out would now cost me close to $2000. The gun alone would be $1400.

just listen to the advice, get started soon, cause it ain't going to be likely you'll get an AR at all much longer and build for quality.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Still some folks that feel Americans should deserve a deal...just a few examples. These are builds from a well established long time Texas Co....NO BS parts used, read the descriptions. These are made from parts that I think most of us would agree are quality.

These happen to be available now. The Co sales lowers, lower kits, uppers, and does these builds. IF there was ANY WAY I could turn you guys onto these/Co...you know I would, just can't.
    However...I do have an "in" with a big name parts manf. thru a VERY good friend of mine that "may" I repeat "may" be able to get a few parts diverted LEGALLY I mean, because they are BACKLOGGED BIG time but my friend's best buddy owns the Co. and may be able to get the parts at "pre-gouge" prices. If I get a chance to call him tomorrow I'll see what I can do.

Not bad heh? Only problem...I cant name the Co...don't ask why. NOT everybody has jumped on the gouge bandwagon. Keep the faith, prices have stabalized for now...DC action will dictate if that changes or not...or the money grubbing manf/wholesalers.

I'm even thinking about dumping off about 15 or so rifles and getting a few of these...and not the 20" barrel either, like I had, a Bushy...these would have a different purpose in mind. OR may just pay the price for one of the Colts, be worth it to me.

EXAMPLES:
    AR15 - Tactical 16" Carbine Features 16" 4140 Chrome-moly barrel. Quality HBAR w/ 1:9 twist. Upper and lower receiver hard-anodized and teflon coated FORGED T6 aluminum Free-floated all Aluminum Handguards with 4 milspec Picatinny Rails. Flat top upper, 4-rail gas block. 6 - position collapsible M4 style stock. Sturdy, removable, polymer vertical forward grip. Hand assembled and tested with Quality all American Parts. custom match grade trigger comes standard. $809
    AR15 - Standard A2 20" Rifle Features 20" 4140 Chrome-moly barrel. Quality HBAR w/ 1:9 twist. Upper and lower receiver hard-anodized and teflon coated FORGED T6 aluminum Fully heat shielded handguards. A2 Upper and sights, pre-ban configuration. A2 Standard Stock w/ trap door. Hand assembled and tested w/ Quality all American Parts. custom match grade trigger comes standard. $779
    AR 15 16" Free Float Carbine Features 16" 4140 Chrome-moly barrel. Quality HBAR w/ 1:9 twist. Upper and lower receiver hard-anodized and teflon coated FORGED T6 aluminum Free floated all aluminum handguard. Flat top upper, Single rail forward gas-block. A2 Standard Stock with Trap Door. Hand assembled and tested with Quality all American Parts. custom match grade trigger comes standard. $734
    AR 15 Shorty 14.5" Carbine Features 14.5" Chrome-lined M4 profile barrel w/ 1:7 twist. Phantom 5C2 flash hider, permanently attached. Upper and lower receiver hard-anodized and teflon coated FORGED T6 aluminum Fully heat shielded handguards (M4 or standard style). Flat top upper, pre-ban configuration 6 - position collapsible M4 style stock Hand assembled and tested with Quality all American Parts custom match grade trigger comes standard. $779
    AR15- Standard 16" Carbine Features 16" 4140 Chrome-moly barrel. Quality HBAR w/ 1:9 twist. Upper and lower receiver hard-anodized and teflon coated FORGED T6 aluminum. Fully heat shielded handguards (M4 or standard style) Flat top upper, pre-ban configuration 6 - position collapsible M4 style stock Hand assembled and tested with Quality all American Parts custom match grade trigger comes standard. $709

...ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its not hard to find a new AR style rifle for a grand,here is one with a buy it now in your price range,
    http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=123991692
    if you have a good ffl you can use for a transfer you can buy several DPMS rifles from different distributors for around $800
    I have posted one one here several times one that has them in stock for under $800 with shipping but it gets poofed because it takes business from the other side,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the help. i have found many under $1000 some as low as $660 BUY IT NOW. but i think i will stick to the $1000 range. i did find a bushmaster 24" w/free float,flat top with rings B.I.N. $850 not to bad
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i bought a parts kit 24" free float ect. just stuck on what type of lower. anyone heard good or bad on the poly/carbon lowers?