In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lex Talonis or not?

buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
I came across this news article. http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16041023

the woman was blinded and disfigured when acid was thrown in her face. the attacker was caught, convicted, and she had the option of having the same thing done to him as he did to her. literally, putting acid in his eye causing it to go blind.

she chose not to have it done "so that the suffering I went through is not repeated."

that was in a different country. (the fact that it was a muslim country is immaterial, we're considering laws in general) it got me to thinking. we in this country have laws that do not provide for violence as part of "punishment" for crimes. we seem to find it distasteful.

so, if you were in the same situation as the above victim, what would you do?

and if you say you would have his eye put out, would you also say you would like the option of "Lex Talonis" in our laws (applying to all of us, not just for your benefit) instead of just sending convicted assailants to prison?

Comments