In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

*SIGH* Took my new gun to the range...

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in General Discussion
1. Failure of slide to fully close about 1/3 of rounds. Could be my reloads but I have been loading 45 for 38 years.

2. Part way through the session the slide stop malfunctioned and the slide would not lock open. Could be a bad magazine but it is a brand new factory mag.

3. Realized dealer ripped me off and skimmed the second magazine Colt supplies. Didn't notice it wasn't in the box.

4. Gun shot like crap. Even for me it was truly awful. Like 24" at 25 yards.

5. Left panel of ivory stocks split and fell off. To be fair it broke years ago and I repaired it. But did it have to fail at this moment? Apparently it did.

Through all of this I managed to fire 40 rounds...and couldn't find 6 casings. Usually do better than that. Not today...

Came home and repaired stock panel again. Next time will take some different ammo including FMJ (had lead RN today and maybe it doesn't like lead?). Will take a couple different magazines. Most importantly, I will take someone else along to shoot the gun for me.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc, its no fun without a project on the bench.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1911 was designed for 230 gr. FMJ. If it functions with that factory ammo then any other bullet design that functions is just a plus. 24 inches at 25 yards is almost impossible. Possible that the lead is too soft for the shallow rifling, the bullet is stripping the rifling and is not stabilized.
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one of those days yesterday!

My Kimber Ultra-Carry kept having failure to ejects, the Winchester Defender was having a very hard time ejecting the fired shell, The S&W Shield was all over the place, The High Standard mod.B was hitting left, and the AK-47 acted like I oiled it with Cosmoline! I tore them all apart and gave them a good cleaning when I got home.

The only gun that did run right was the Socom 16.
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    OK, somebody's got to say it.

That's just mean...
    Of course, I was gonna say the same thing but you beat me to it!

Kidding, Doc! Can you polish the chamber a bit and try it again? My Keltec sub-2000 did the same thing but a light polish of the chamber cleaned it right up and it's run without a hiccup since.

Should have bought a Glock. [:0][B)][}:)]
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure you're not limp wristing???

You said your shooting reloads, did you calibrate your powder dispenser properly???

Is your firearm properly lubricated???

How dirty is your gun???
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say call the Doc for treatment, but in this case the Doc should call the Forgemonkey.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The dealer stealing your magazine, that sucks the big one. I'd check to make sure you really were supposed to get it. Check very closely, and then I'd call him and explain what Colt told you. I'd then call him and say what Colt said. If he doesn't make you right, I'd trash him on the internet. Check carefully, though, as I have seen some guns sold new with only one magazine. You see that nowadays.

I once had a dealer show me the gun, show me everything was good, then close up the case while he did the paperwork. I wandered off around the gunshow a bit while waiting for the call-in to come back, and he took out the OEM magazine and replaced it with a POS aftermarket mag. Didn't realize it until I'd driven 80 miles home.

People kind of suck sometimes.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my S&W revolvers. I almost never have any trouble with any of them.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought all Colt 1911s had to go to the gunsmith before going to the range.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forge gave some good advice.

I would try wilson mags and factory ammo before I went tits up on it.

My unit used wilson-rodgers mags in the 1911 and we never had problems.

Someone may have changed out the recoil spring too. Get a good spring full power(Wolff 18# I think is correct) if you are shooting full power loads.
    RLTW

• Options
    ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    If you still have some of the reloads left...pull the barrel and see if the cartridges fall into the barrel effortlessly without assistance, might be a tight chamber.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,009 ******
    edited November -1
    that's a major bummer.

I'd do a full field strip, thorough cleaning,and inspection for any burrs or gunk.

Take apart,clean,inspect magazine

Re-assly,cycle several magazines of 'snap caps'

Take to range and shoot factory ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I single loaded rounds the slide dropped every time. Makes me suspect a magazine issue. I tweaked the follower a bit and the slide stop problem stopped...for a little while then started again.

Had a second box of reloads identical to first and they were much more reliable but not perfect. May be a sizing issue combined with a stiff and or rough magazine. The spring did have a lot of tension and mag was hard to load. Some break in might help?

"Limp wristing" could happen given my reduced hand and arm strength. However, it often happened when dropping the slide on a fresh mag and a weak wrist wouldn't do that.

I appreciate all the suggestions (well, except for the one about getting a Glock).
    ....................................................................................................
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just hope there are only 2 bad guys not three
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    If I single loaded rounds the slide dropped every time. Makes me suspect a magazine issue. I tweaked the follower a bit and the slide stop problem stopped...for a little while then started again.

Had a second box of reloads identical to first and they were much more reliable but not perfect. May be a sizing issue combined with a stiff and or rough magazine. The spring did have a lot of tension and mag was hard to load. Some break in might help?

"Limp wristing" could happen given my reduced hand and arm strength. However, it often happened when dropping the slide on a fresh mag and a weak wrist wouldn't do that.

I appreciate all the suggestions (well, except for the one about getting a Glock).

What's your C.O.A.L. .?? I've found for my guns the best is 1.250" maximum ,,,,,,,,this solves a deflection problem off the feed ramp. And mag. release timing.

Forge, if you're talking about the firearm itself. I've never heard that term C.O.A.L., but if you're talking about the Cartridge Over All Length of his reloads, then I know what you're referring to....

I'm just trying to learn something here...
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe try a box of factory 230 gr ball?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    $60? Last resort.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $60? Last resort.

Is your pistol 'new' to you or NIB?
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1

Doc, I was just busting your chops on the Glock comment.

I also have a new, ATI Titan Commander 1911 .45. It failed to feed 1 out of every three rounds with 230 Ball ammunition. A Wilson Combat magazine made no difference. I was not very pleased with it.

I've still not worked out the issues. Was pretty much, "How could they release a handgun, that did not function reliably with the specified ammunition?"

Was pretty disheartened.

Was not trying to harsh on you. Buying a handgun that does not function/fire properly just sucks.

My condolences Sir.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,009 ******
    edited November -1
    Update??? Were you able to look it over more closely,back to the range?? I think 95% of problem is the magazine.
    Shooting 24" off at 25 yds,,well I know I shoot worse when I'm pissed and flustered.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get closer to the target.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No idea when I will get back to range.

Gun was unfired in box but sold as used.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No idea when I will get back to range.

Gun was unfired in box but sold as used.

Well, wait, that kind of explains the missing magazine. If you're buying something new, you expect to get the same pistol and all accessories as everybody else who buys that model. If you're buying a used gun, on the other hand, you're getting what's in the box when you hand the guy the money.

I don't think this is a case of the guy screwed you over, as it is a case of you didn't check carefully to see what you were paying for. Unless the guy said to you, "This gun comes with two magazines" or something to that effect, I think he's in the clear.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always check out the gun and contents before leaving the area to make sure everything that was there when I purchased it was still there and original. Magazines, tools, holsters, loaders, etc.

It not uncommon for a dealer to try skim the second mag from a new gun to sell separately. I know of one dealer in LA years ago that would bring a rifle you purchased and the manuals out but without the box saying they were trashed and then try to sell you a case so you wouldn't be walking out the store and transporting a rifle in the open.

Personally, I wouldn't be above making our conversation public to draw attention to the fact that the seller was trying to take advantage of me.

I am noticing that many gun manufacturers are now only including one magazine with their guns. In those cases, sometimes the dealer is willing to discount extra mags.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,282 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    I would say call the Doc for treatment, but in this case the Doc should call the Forgemonkey.
    agreed
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain