In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6.5 Creedmoor

toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
edited November 2017 in General Discussion
Thinking of buying a new rifle for hunting out west where shots might be 300+ yards. Would a rifle chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor be sufficient for Elk at 300 yds.

Comments

• pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    257 Weatherby...the very best!
  • m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .270,.7mm mag, .30-06, .300mag is good/better elk medicine.

tIq0j3Ql.jpg
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by m88.358win
    .270,.7mm mag, .30-06, .300mag is good/better elk medicine.

Of course, but the question was "would it be sufficient". The answer is obviously yes.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Results last year on deer and hogs was similar to a 270. Dropped them like they were struck by lightning. I was impressed enough I bought my son one for Christmas and built an AR 10 in it.
  • randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a 6.5x47 Lapua to 1000 yards frequently. The accuracy and destructive ability of a 140 grain Berger VLD Hunting is amazing. I'd have no issue using that bullet on elk to 5, maybe 600 yards.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may be 'sufficient', but you may also have a hell of a time finding ammo for it. If you plan on taking 300 yard shots on game animals I'd go with the 7mm Rem. Mag. or the .300 Win. Mag. I've seen too many animals crippled by folks that didn't have enough gun. I use a .270 Winchester but I limit myself to no more than 200 yards and then only if I have a good solid rest.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    It may be 'sufficient', but you may also have a hell of a time finding ammo for it. If you plan on taking 300 yard shots on game animals I'd go with the 7mm Rem. Mag. or the .300 Win. Mag. I've seen too many animals crippled by folks that didn't have enough gun. I use a .270 Winchester but I limit myself to no more than 200 yards and then only if I have a good solid rest.
    Exactly the opposite actually...

Just bought 300 rounds of Hornady #81489 129 grain 6.5 Creedmoor @ $0.849/round and 300 rounds of Federal #F65CDT1 140 grain 6.5 Creedmoor @ $0.799/round.

Probably 45+ suppliers under $1.00/round
    https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5mm-creedmoor
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Exactly the opposite actually...

Just bought 300 rounds of Hornady #81489 129 grain 6.5 Creedmoor @ $0.849/round and 300 rounds of Federal #F65CDT1 140 grain 6.5 Creedmoor @ $0.799/round.

Probably 45+ suppliers under $1.00/round
    https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5mm-creedmoor

Finding ammo in stores is what I should have said.
    edited November -1
    If you're looking for 270 results in an AR[10] platform, the 6.5 Creedmoor is the one.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure!

The 6.5 Creedmore is a great round but like any bullet its only as good as the shooter.

300 Yd Elk is asking a lot from that round and you will have to do your part.

That said a 6.5 creedmore in the pump is better than a 375 H&H in the gut.

I don't know the area you hunt or your style of hunting(Stalking, stand road hunter ...ect) But I think my minimum for Elk at 300 yds would be a 280 Remington. I have seen Elk take some serious punishment and again I have seen them fall over to a 22-250.

YMMV

The 6.5 C is a very cool round though.
    RLTW

• IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are chamberings that will do it better. A lot better.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:There are chamberings that will do it better. A lot better.

Really?

And how does any other cartridge perform better than dead. If the head of game is dead then that cartridge has performed the best that can be expected from ANY cartridge.

The Swedes use the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser cartridge to kill moose and that cartridge does not have as much energy as the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Archers routinely go into the wild to attempt to kill elk with sharp sticks. No one bitches about those hunters OR their choice of weapons.

I can understand if you just plain don't like or appreciate a particular cartridge but to malign a cartridge for the wrong reasons is simply wrong. Say you don't like it and be done with it. The 6.5 Creedmoor will kill any plains game including elk.

Now I might not suggest grizzly bears, elephants or Cape Buffalo [}:)] but I've seen quite a few make their way over to Africa and account for themselves with most of the plains game over there as well.

Best.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense

Really?

And how does any other cartridge perform better than dead. If the head of game is dead then that cartridge has performed the best that can be expected from ANY cartridge.

The Swedes use the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser cartridge to kill moose and that cartridge does not have as much energy as the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Archers routinely go into the wild to attempt to kill elk with sharp sticks. No one bitches about those hunters OR their choice of weapons.

I can understand if you just plain don't like or appreciate a particular cartridge but to malign a cartridge for the wrong reasons is simply wrong. Say you don't like it and be done with it. The 6.5 Creedmoor will kill any plains game including elk.

Now I might not suggest grizzly bears, elephants or Cape Buffalo [}:)] but I've seen quite a few make their way over to Africa and account for themselves with most of the plains game over there as well.

Best.

The 6.5 cartridges have excellent penetration and some of the best accuracy out there.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At 300 yards it's more than adequate
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toolmaniam
    Thinking of buying a new rifle for hunting out west where shots might be 300+ yards. Would a rifle chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor be sufficient for Elk at 300 yds.

Yes but certainly not my first choice for the majestic elk. It boils down to personal choice. Having said that, the .300 WM loaded with 215 Berger VLD remains my go-to chambering for antelope to elk size game up 1K yards.

Regardless of caliber/chambering choice, shot placement is still the key. A few years ago, my hunting buddies and I harvested 3 bull elk. Buddy 1 with .300 WM and 180 grain Barnes TTSX shot his elk 3X at ~100 yards, all in the vital area. Buddy 2 was using his 7MM Rem Mag with 180 grain Berger VLD, shot his elk at ~300 yards in the boiler area DRT. I shot mine at 931 yards at the front shoulder area with my trusty .300 WM loaded with 190 Berger VLD but the elk still managed to run 200 yards with the herd. All chamberings and bullets used worked as advertised but the elk expired differently.

What do you have in your arsenal? You might already have one that is better suited for your trip. Unless you just want to buy a rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. Having said that, you might also want to check out the new 6.5 PRC (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/10/23/new-caliber-6-5-prc-precision-rifle-cartridge-by-hornady/).

If you are going on a guided hunt, they might have recommendations for you too. The great thing about it is that you have plenty of choices, what you do with those choices is entirely up to you.

Good luck and happy safe hunting.
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my experience the 6.5 C is very comparable to the .308 W.
    The .308 W is slightly better in "knock-down" power when using heavier weight bullets at 300 yds.
    The 6.5 C has better ballistics .. a slight edge in accuracy, and has less recoil, all of which can make a small positive difference in hit probability.
    SO, if you would use a .308 W for the same game and distances, I would choose the 6.5 C.
    That said,a good flat shooting , slightly more powerful cartridge might be a better choice overall,
    but I would probably still opt for the 6.5 C.
  • IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Really?

Best.

Just because a 22lr will kill a deer doesn't make it a good idea. I have nothing against a 6.5 intact I own one. I just would not use it on Elk. I have talked with many guides that have been chasing wounded Elk that have been shot with a 6.5. I know it will do the job but there are ones that do it better.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idahobound,

quote:I have talked with many guides that have been chasing wounded Elk that have been shot with a 6.5.

Really? And just how many guides have identified the fact that it was a 6.5 Creedmoor which was responsible for these chases? And what about this makes it the fault of the cartridge. I've seen deer and elk wounded horribly by hunters shooting the venerable .300 Win. Mag. by making a poorly chosen or executed shot. I've also had to use my tags to put animals down which have been wounded during archery season and left to run off.

I've hunted deer and elk throughout the U.S. using .223 Rem. for a few deer and 6mm Creedmoor or the .867-5309 Win. for elk without EVER losing one animal. But I choose my shot with surety.

I am against adding superfluous rules and regulations for shooters and hunters.

Not to continue beating this dead horse but it seems to me that this is exactly the same case as what the anti-gunners spit out through the media, trying to make a point when something awful happens with a firearm. It was the gun or the cartridge which is at fault.

The point that should be made is that the hunter needs to be responsible and qualified as a shooter before he can try to harvest game using a guide. The guides need to establish this to prevent idiots, who don't have the experience or can't shoot but have money, from just buying a rifle and going out for a trophy. Guides are responsible for their clients. I know that everyone wants to make money and that greed is at an all-time high here in the U.S. but maybe we need to suggest this tact in an effort to curtail unnecessary wounding. That's what gets done for hunters in Africa, or at least it used to. Responsible hunting has been the most published topic before, during and after hunting seasons in the media addressed to hunters. Maybe it's time to pay a little closer attention to the hunters and not necessarily the cartridge.

Best.
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idahobound,

quote:I have talked with many guides that have been chasing wounded Elk that have been shot with a 6.5.

Really? And just how many guides have identified the fact that it was a 6.5 Creedmoor which was responsible for these chases? And what about this makes it the fault of the cartridge. I've seen deer and elk wounded horribly by hunters shooting the venerable .300 Win. Mag. by making a poorly chosen or executed shot. I've also had to use my tags to put animals down which have been wounded during archery season and left to run off.

I've hunted deer and elk throughout the U.S. using .223 Rem. for a few deer and 6mm Creedmoor or the .867-5309 Win. for elk without EVER losing one animal. But I choose my shot with surety.

I am against adding superfluous rules and regulations for shooters and hunters.

Not to continue beating this dead horse but it seems to me that this is exactly the same case as what the anti-gunners spit out through the media, trying to make a point when something awful happens with a firearm. It was the gun or the cartridge which is at fault.

The point that should be made is that the hunter needs to be responsible and qualified as a shooter before he can try to harvest game using a guide. The guides need to establish this to prevent idiots, who don't have the experience or can't shoot but have money, from just buying a rifle and going out for a trophy. Guides are responsible for their clients. I know that everyone wants to make money and that greed is at an all-time high here in the U.S. but maybe we need to suggest this tact in an effort to curtail unnecessary wounding. That's what gets done for hunters in Africa, or at least it used to. Responsible hunting has been the most published topic before, during and after hunting seasons in the media addressed to hunters. Maybe it's time to pay a little closer attention to the hunters and not necessarily the cartridge.

Best.

WELL SAID [^]
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    old friend of mine goes out west every year to harvestan Elk...still use the same ole Remington model 700 out of the custom shop...rifle must be 30 years old...7mm magnum Hornady 139 gr....does well...he owns a sporting goods sop, and can have any rifle he wants...I'm not an Elk hunter...
  • hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would use a 25-06.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Two shots with .22LR
    That will drop any mammal in North America.

Seriously, inside 300 yds, hit it with a .308.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're looking for 270 results in an AR[10] platform, the 6.5 Creedmoor is the one.

Wouldn?t 6.8 technically be the one?[:D]

270cal =6.8mm
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5 Creedmoor will do it...but I would just as soon use my 30-06. 300 yards is well within 30-06's capabilities if you are up to the shot...of course that goes the same for saying 6.5 Creedmoor.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warbirds

Wouldn?t 6.8 technically be the one?[:D]

270cal =6.8mm
    Sure it would, but since the AR10 is a short action platform, the 270 (Win) won't work except as a single loading cartridge. You might as well use a bolt action platform.

The 270Win is just a longer cartridge with slightly better ballistics than the 6.5 Creedmoor.
    In turn, the 6.5 Creedmoor also has better ballistics than the 6.8 SPC making the 6.5 CM more closely attuned to the 270Win.

270 on the left and 6.5 Creedmoor on the right.
    EjpBhwM.jpg
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My comment was in gest sir- i realize there is more to a bullet than diameter.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    6.5 Creedmoor will do it...but I would just as soon use my 30-06. 300 yards is well within 30-06's capabilities if you are up to the shot...of course that goes the same for saying 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Yep, few years ago, a friend of mine shot a cow elk that was fast walking through scattered timber. The shot was off hand(of course)and slightly downhill. Rifle was a old Remington 700 270 with a 4X Ziess scope. Elk was dead within a half dozen steps. The next morning when they went back to pack out, one of the guys brought a range finder and ranged the shot. 410 yards. But that's what happens when you grow up in Montana, and know how to shoot.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warbirds
    My comment was in gest sir- i realize there is more to a bullet than diameter.
    Got'cha.... Not a problem.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1

Really?

Best.

Not too many folks taking animals at 300 yards with pointy sticks, I'd wager.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain