In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New EX Order - Obama - ITAR Gunsmith Reg/Fee !!

MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
This is a big one.

Gunsmiths or anybody rechambering, barreling, improving accuracy now caught up in Gunsmith Rule. $2250 annual fee!

Executive order to go along with world-wide gun control.

NRA reported on this 3 days ago.

see:

http://conservative-daily.com/2016/07/30/breaking-news-another-obama-anti-gun-executive-order/

Comments

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Typical gun hating DEMOCRAT
  • Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sort of reminiscent of when he and Monica's boyfriend's wife found a way to prevent M-1s from being brought back from Korea.

For those too young to remember, she is the one who got fired from the Nixon investigation for saying "We need to get this guy, and we have to set the Constitution aside to do it".
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like gunsmiths ought to become teachers...
    And "Instruct" gun smithing to those who want to learn.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need to get this Obamanation out of the Whitehouse and KEEP the rest of his 'followers' out as well.

This particular E.O. can be defeated in Congress I understand.
    Time that our 'elected' officials do their damn job.
    And if not... Time to elect those who will.
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The power to tax is the power to destroy. Court will decide if Obama has legal authority to impose this or if it must come from Congress.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is what they say requires registration (blue is my thoughts)

2. Registration Required - Manufacturing: In response to questions from persons engaged in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that ITAR registration is required because the following activities meet the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning of "manufacturing" and, therefore, constitute "manufacturing" for ITAR purposes:

a) Use of any special tooling or equipment upgrading in order to improve the capability of assembled or repaired firearms;
    - Dropping in a new trigger group into an AR or 10/22 or Rem 700 or replacing the safety even at home could now make you have to register

b) Modifications to a firearm that change round capacity;
    - changing out floor plate on Rem 700 to an ACS bottom to take mags will be a no no now

c) The production of firearm parts (including, but not limited to, barrels, stocks, cylinders, breech mechanisms, triggers, silencers, or suppressors);
    - So if you want to make your own stock for your 10/22 or bench rest bolt action you are now going to have to register

d) The systemized production of ammunition, including the automated loading or reloading of ammunition;
    - way too vague...this could impact the reloader who uses a progressive press

e) The machining or cutting of firearms, e.g., threading of muzzles or muzzle brake installation requiring machining, that results in an enhanced capability;
    - no more having your smith cut and thread your barrel to put a brake on it

f) Rechambering firearms through machining, cutting, or drilling;
    - no more wildcat cartridges

g) Chambering, cutting, or threading barrel blanks; and
    - again no more wildcats

h) Blueprinting firearms by machining the barrel.
    - so no more tuning bench rest rifles...
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    good thing i had all my future gunsmithing done in the past [:D]
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    this is another reason(big one)to not let hellery get into the white house. as with all ex orders the next president can resind them all in two minutes if they want too. there are even people here who can,t get it threw their thick heads that hellery would be the worst thing that can happen to the second admendment since it was written and would pack the courts with like minded judges. how you can know this and still be for hellery over trump is beyond me. mr myopic.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastbank
    this is another reason(big one)to not let hellery get into the white house. as with all ex orders the next president can resind them all in two minutes if they want too. there are even people here who can,t get it threw their thick heads that hellery would be the worst thing that can happen to the second admendment since it was written and would pack the courts with like minded judges. how you can know this and still be for hellery over trump is beyond me. mr myopic.

CORRECT, There should not be ONE Hillary voter here, period!! [V]
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

Agree, However;
    There are a number of de facto MRS Bill Clinton supporters here on these forums. You can review past posts with the subject "Trump" and find out who they ARE.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

Agree, However;
    There are a number of de facto MRS Bill Clinton supporters here on these forums. You can review past posts with the subject "Trump" and find out who they ARE.

Ohh yes, well aware of that. Can you imagine falling in step with the vile creature and subvert her here, ON GunBroker. Makes me ill.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    If you are under contract, either directly to the DOD or as a subcontractor to an entity that is, then this applies to you. If not, then it doesn't.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Perfect,

I have the greatest of displeasures to inform you that you are entirely incorrect.

Here is the legal standing currently from The NRAILA:

https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/07/25/ddtc-issues-guidance-on-itar-registration/

And this is the section to which you apparently missed:

22 C.F.R. ? 122.1 discusses the registration requirements for ITAR.

(a) Any person who engages in the United States in the business of manufacturing or exporting or temporarily importing defense articles, or furnishing defense services, is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls under ? 122.2. For the purpose of this subchapter, engaging in such a business requires only one occasion of manufacturing or exporting or temporarily importing a defense article or furnishing a defense service. A manufacturer who does not engage in exporting must nevertheless register.

The next section below this is an attempt to reconcile what the term 'manufacturing' means. In essence they think that developing a definition will allow some of the gunsmiths to escape this preposterous fee. Reality and the written word state that we are all manufacturers, no matter if you are an individual or a gunsmith or a corporate entity involved with firearms. In point of fact, this is not written as a tax but expressed as a Registration Fee in ITAR and unless undone, will force many to capitulate and pay.

In the last 3 or 4 days I would guess that many hundreds of thousands of dollars have been thrown at lawyers from individuals to multi-layer companies trying to get a grip on the meaning of this stupidity. My own contribution not withstanding, the final answer to this apparent misconceived attempt at gun control lies with the Congress based on the Constitutional playbook.

Executive Orders have no basis in fact unless Congress authorizes the EO as Law. So when someone tells you that this time you really need to contact your representative, you REALLY need to do it. I have contacted all of mine and I was completely surprised by the fact that only one person of the 4 knew even the slightest bit about this ploy by Obama. After speaking to two personally, my guess is that a couple of the little 'research assistants' will get a huge butt chewing, not that that solves anything.

Call your representative because this affects everyone not just your gunsmith.

Why this man has been left in office for 7-1/2 years I will never understand!

Best.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    Mr. Perfect,

I have the greatest of displeasures to inform you that you are entirely incorrect.

Here is the legal standing currently from The NRAILA:

https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/07/25/ddtc-issues-guidance-on-itar-registration/

And this is the section to which you apparently missed:

22 C.F.R. ? 122.1 discusses the registration requirements for ITAR.

(a) Any person who engages in the United States in the business of manufacturing or exporting or temporarily importing defense articles, or furnishing defense services, is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls under ? 122.2. For the purpose of this subchapter, engaging in such a business requires only one occasion of manufacturing or exporting or temporarily importing a defense article or furnishing a defense service. A manufacturer who does not engage in exporting must nevertheless register.

The next section below this is an attempt to reconcile what the term 'manufacturing' means. In essence they think that developing a definition will allow some of the gunsmiths to escape this preposterous fee. Reality and the written word state that we are all manufacturers, no matter if you are an individual or a gunsmith or a corporate entity involved with firearms. In point of fact, this is not written as a tax but expressed as a Registration Fee in ITAR and unless undone, will force many to capitulate and pay.

In the last 3 or 4 days I would guess that many hundreds of thousands of dollars have been thrown at lawyers from individuals to multi-layer companies trying to get a grip on the meaning of this stupidity. My own contribution not withstanding, the final answer to this apparent misconceived attempt at gun control lies with the Congress based on the Constitutional playbook.

Executive Orders have no basis in fact unless Congress authorizes the EO as Law. So when someone tells you that this time you really need to contact your representative, you REALLY need to do it. I have contacted all of mine and I was completely surprised by the fact that only one person of the 4 knew even the slightest bit about this ploy by Obama. After speaking to two personally, my guess is that a couple of the little 'research assistants' will get a huge butt chewing, not that that solves anything.

Call your representative because this affects everyone not just your gunsmith.

Why this man has been left in office for 7-1/2 years I will never understand!

Best.

The entire regulation only concerns those who manufacture articles for the DOD.... DEFENSE ARTICLES. Thus, it does not apply to joe blo FFL who typically does not do this. Please read:

quote:(a) Any person who engages in the United States in the business of manufacturing or exporting or temporarily importing defense articles, or furnishing defense services, is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls under ? 122.2.

If you are not manufacturing, exporting, temporarily importing or brokering defense articles or services, you are not required to register with DDTC."
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought Obama said he doesn't want to take away your guns. This must be a hoax.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    I thought Obama said he doesn't want to take away your guns. This must be a hoax.
    It's not a hoax, it just doesn't apply to the folks that aren't under contract either directly or as a subcontractor to the DOD.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Until it may become law. Who knows what this POS legislation may contain...[8]
    "What is truth?'
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is very disconcerting when someone refuses to learn when logical points are made and they choose to ignore them.

Have a great life!

Best.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense

It is very disconcerting when someone refuses to learn when logical points are made and they choose to ignore them.

Have a great life!

Best.

No one is ignoring logical points. What are you talking about?
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain