In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why to buy tires at Sams club

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
I will only buy tires from Sams Club, here is why.

I run Michelin tires on my truck, they are over 200 bucks apiece but well worth the money because I can get over 100,000 miles out of a set. I only buy them from Sams Club because of their service and WARRANTY.

I had the misfortune of hitting a hunk of pipe at 60 MPH that ripped the sidewall of my left rear tire from bead to tread. The tire was destroyed, the set had 28,000 miles on them.

I went to Sams Club in Vienna WV today expecting some grief about wear or a deduction for this or that I fully expected a bit of a hassle getting the warranty covered. Well, I was not even close in my thinking.

They brought my truck in and removed BOTH rear tires, I asked what they were doing taking off the Right Rear also; their reply, you have some mileage wear and since the cut tire can't be fixed, we need to replace BOTH tires so they height match. I figured it was their way of selling me a new tire to cover the cost of the "warranty" tire I was not a happy camper but lucky for me kept quiet.

Nope, I was wrong again; I got two brand new Michelin 265/75R16 XLT2 load range E tires installed on my truck and the TOTAL cost was $31.80 out the door. They GAVE me a new tire replacing one with 28,000 miles FREE so the height was the same RT-LT.

Yup, I will stick to Sams Club tires until somebody can show me better service than that! I am a very happy customer....[:D][:D][:D]

Comments

• Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    I considered buying my next set from Sam's. Guess that might be a good idea. Thanks.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm only 10-15 minutes from there, you should have yelled and I would have bought you a cup coffee.........
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's hard to beat Walmart's and Sam's Club tire prices.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I can say is you must be about 100 years old, or drive equivalently to get 100K out of a set of tires.

I have had Michelin's myself and never saw any better wear from them. My high mileage is around 65K on a set.

Either the above or you don't mind driving around on mesh![:0][:D][:o)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,282 ******
    edited November -1
    why not to buy tires from sams club: there isn't one within reasonable driving distance from me.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    All I can say is you must be about 100 years old, or drive equivalently to get 100K out of a set of tires.

I have had Michelin's myself and never saw any better wear from them. My high mileage is around 65K on a set.

Well I am not a NASCAR driver but I sure as heck don't lolly-gag either. The key to tire life is rotation and inflation, one set went 110,000 miles and all four were worn to the wear indicators. The next set went 94,000 and they were not down to the indicators when replaced. I run 72 PSI front and 76 PSI rear, checking it every two weeks. Ya, I know, I'm * about air pressure......[:D]
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to replace the tires on my expedition and I think I will go to sam's club. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    Discount Tire has always replaced my tires for free, even though I never buy the road hazzard warranty. I don't know why they do, nor do I see a need to argue with them about it.[:D]
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

Well I am not a NASCAR driver but I sure as heck don't lolly-gag either. The key to tire life is rotation and inflation, one set went 110,000 miles and all four were worn to the wear indicators. The next set went 94,000 and they were not down to the indicators when replaced. I run 72 PSI front and 76 PSI rear, checking it every two weeks. Ya, I know, I'm * about air pressure......[:D]

You are worse than me then.
    I check air pressure every month or two, and rotations are somewhere between 8 and 12K usually. Yea,.....I know it should be 5 to 6K.

"Lolly-gag" sounds like a term a person reaching the century mark would use![:0]

I'm just funnin' with you bpost.[:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep Sam's and Walmart, hit them both for tires...they have good prices on GYs too...not so much on BFGs...did really well at Wally World on General Grabber AT2s...$610 for a 17" set mounted/balanced
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The key is the load range E . Bpost does not drive a ford Ranger with 4 ply tires ...He also does not drive like a 100 year old . Of course to haul Bpost around he may need those load range E orGI am older and drive faster but with my skinny a** all I need is load range A-[}:)][;)][:I]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    The key is the load range E . Bpost does not drive a ford Ranger with 4 ply tires ...He also does not drive like a 100 year old . Of course to haul Bpost around he may need those load range E orGI am older and drive faster but with my skinny a** all I need is load range A-[}:)][;)][:I]

ROFLMAO [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    I don't trust those flunkies at Walmart to tell me which aisle to find the hammers in, I darn sure don't trust them with my lugnuts.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wyatt Earp
    I don't trust those flunkies at Walmart to tell me which aisle to find the hammers in, I darn sure don't trust them with my lugnuts.

I stand out in the bay and watch them the entire time, they use their fancy color coded torque sticks..
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To bad 'walmart' hasnt taken the same approach to "customer service" bout tires !!!
    I could tell one heck of a story bout this one,,,,but no trime and I really dont feel much like typing that dang much now .....
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
  • Options
    kabarkabar Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just bought a set of Michelin tires for my Explorer and got $70.00 off for buying 4. Cheaper than anyone else with the $70.00 off.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Sams Club is not the same as Walmart, I watched them do my truck, they set the PROTO torque wrench on 135 pd-ft and tightened them in the proper order. You might want to go watch them work, they do a great job!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kabar
    Just bought a set of Michelin tires for my Explorer and got $70.00 off for buying 4. Cheaper than anyone else with the $70.00 off.

You discovered what I did, I called EVERYONE within 150 miles that sold Michelin tires, Sams was the least costly and had the best warranty hands down.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    quote:Originally posted by kabar

You discovered what I did, I called EVERYONE within 150 miles that sold Michelin tires, Sams was the least costly and had the best warranty hands down.
    I just bought the Michelin 245/75 ATS LT 2 from Sam's last week for my 3/4 ton suburban and got the $70.00 off at the counter this was my first tire purchase from them hoping it works out for me if I have any trouble with them

hard to believe tires are so high

thanks maybe I made the right purchase
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    100k, wow, I have 60k on my BF Goodrich AT's, I drive fast though, so 60k is real good for me [:)]
  • Options
    rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For $10 per tire you can get lifetime balancing and rotating from Wal Mart. That's why I buy them there - rotate the tires every other oil change, whether they need it or not. As stated before - along with proper inflation, the key to long tread life.
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1

Damn Straight!!! The last time Wal-fart touched one of my vehicles, about 6 yrs ago, it was for an oil change and the full meal deal. I noticed on the bill how many qts of oil they charged me for. I was billed for 1 more than the vehicle called for. I questioned them on it. Their reply, "Well, they all fit." [:0][}:)][:(!] That and the oily footprint on my floormat.[}:)][:(!] I vowed then to never let those idiots ever touch another vehicle of mine.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    100k WOW
    My work truck,a 1/2 ton chevy 4x4 ext cab gets gets E range tires. Longest they ever lasted was 22k. Personal truck is a 3/4 ton dodge diesel 4x4 same exact tires best ever was 40k all 267/75 17 My guess is red dirt roads eats um alive, even the paved roads are chip seal and thats pretty hard on tires too. That or I just drive to damn fast
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    BTW, I just bought a full set of Michelins, made in the USA, yes you have to check, not all of them are, at Sears. After the 70.00 rebate, they will cost me right at 820.00 OTD, road hazard and all. Salesman tried to get me to buy a set made in Canada. My resonse, "I don't give a chit about keeping the people in Canada working, I'm trying to do my part to keep people here in this country working."

Also, the set of Michelins we took off were 60K tires, I got right at 60K out of 'em. They're ridin' on an '04 Chevy Suburban.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Discount Tire warranties my Yokohamas on my 4Runner. Any driving condition or terrain. Free replacement as long as I have 3/16" of tread remaining.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bpost....

You forgot to add "Your Mileage May Vary"