In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Critique this house 11 acres

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in General Discussion
Year built 2005
11 acres
2300 sqft
"Year round" creek in back, down hill corner, of property.
No garage but small unattached workshop building.
Price 116k
House is down hill from road not visible from road. To get to the house you have to take 2 gravel roads. Nearest neighbor is 2 city blocks away on other side of road not visible from house.

has:
Well
Septic
Furnace
Water heater
Electric
Central Air

Needs:
Stove
Dishwasher
washer
dryer
gravel driveway

Would like to add:
garage or barn
Wood Burning stove

Road
3971314614_2b5ef7d129.jpg

Front of house faces back of property
3971313226_e9d9df81cb.jpg

Back of house faces road.
3970543697_6d0114d3cb.jpg

Unattached shop building.
3970544389_3039dceff8.jpg

Inside shop buiding
3970545663_f802964f15.jpg

Kitchen, dinning room, formal living room, 1 bath and master bedroom, are upstairs. 2 bedrooms and 1 bath are downstairs.

kitchen
3970544481_6bcc9cd29c.jpg

Dining room
3971313574_4636c313d8.jpg

master bedroom
3970545853_4647c48ed4.jpg

Down stairs
3971314836_90d4000b56.jpg

"Swiming pool"
3971313468_d62c694330.jpg

I don't like the raised deck and find the upstairs kitchen kind of strange. I wish it had more land. I do like it was built in 2005 is big, new, private, and really afordable.

What say you?

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I kind a like it. The back of the house is screaming add ons. It's also flat so that's nice.

All I can say is get a bumb waiter. Humping up munchables to upstairs kitchen will suck. The cool part is you can keep a deep freeze on the bottom floor or move the kitchen down eventually. I recon the up stairs kitchen can be converted to a second master or a shared bath two rooms.

Most of your needs can be had later that is if you don't already have them. Wood burning stove would be on the "Need List" before dishwasher.

Say the "upper deck" is that attatched to the kitchen if so BBQing would be great.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Estimating $1,500/acre for the land, $5k for the out building and well, septic... the house comes in at about $41/foot.

Around these parts, land is running $3k to $4.5k/acre plus ~$35/foot for out buildings and $2.5k for well/septic. Homes are running $85+/foot...

If it were here, you would see a price tag of about... $245k-$270k

I'd say, depending on where it's at, you've got the making of good deal...

Do some hoemwork and see what homes within a couple of miles or less have sold for in the last 6-9 months.

If it's within the same range... Good deal if not... negotiate...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    I kind a like it. The back of the house is screaming add ons. It's also flat so that's nice.

All I can say is get a bumb waiter. Humping up munchables to upstairs kitchen will suck. The cool part is you can keep a deep freeze on the bottom floor or move the kitchen down eventually. I recon the up stairs kitchen can be converted to a second master or a shared bath two rooms.

Most of your needs can be had later that is if you don't already have them. Wood burning stove would be on the "Need List" before dishwasher.

Say the "upper deck" is that attatched to the kitchen if so BBQing would be great.

Upper deck is off the kitchen. Area around the house is flat but the house is down hill from the road and the back yard slopes further down.

House is 1/2 way into the property and isn't visible from the road.
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    MO again by West Plains.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the back yard isn't level I think you can fix this buy building an underground shooting/gun room. Then build a game room extention on top of it.

So you think you'll try living off the grid? I mean I see a gas tank so a couple of solar panel will get you done.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like its a foreclosure???

Definitely has potential....
    heat is gas or electric?

A NG whole house generator 8-10KW would be on my priority list- about $5000

Where on the 11 acre lot is the house located? middle, front back?

I like it!! Wife and I just bought a place on 6 acres on the side of a mountain, its great living out in the country, as soon as tax refund season gets here I'll be getting that whole house generator
  • Options
    gregwgregw Member Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    looks like a nice deal, you can even use the back deck as an elevated platform to practice shooting your bow[:D]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to each their own, I don't like the elevation ( slope ) of the home. You will learn to hate it also. Been there and done that. You will need a tractor to keep your drive graded. Add for a garage.
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    i have no idea what the country is like where it is, but if it`s snow country you might have trouble getting in and out in winter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's a foreclosure, Fanny Mae, I belive. House is in the middle of the property. Heat is gas. You can see the tank off to the side of the house. The SO visited it and liked but worried about getting our Nissan Altima down the rutted dirt driveway.

quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    to each their own, I don't like the elevation ( slope ) of the home. You will learn to hate it also. Been there and done that. You will need a tractor to keep your drive graded. Add for a garage.

That's my issue with it too. Mowing that lawn is going to be a pain. Keeping gravel on the driveway is going to be a pain. Going up that hill in the winter is going to be a pain. Raised deck will need to be replaced at some point.

But I keep coming back to new-affordable-big house aspect.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i never will understand why idiots who make these drive ways spend all this money but dont put in a drain, if even one or two 8" culvert pipes under the road
  • Options
    spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind of a quirky little joint but it looks to me like a lot for $116K.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Is it a mobile home set on a foundation with an addition? The dimensions are weird.

Drop ceiling????
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    An elevated deck can be a good thing if you have mosquitos.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    How in the hell do you build a house on 11 acres for $116k? UnFRIGGINbelievable!

Jump on it if you are okay with the location. Personally, we prefer a house in a neighborhood.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the deck face west? If it does you would want a roof over it. For $115K it doesn't look bad. Does look like a modular set on a foundation with addition to me also.
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    Upper story kitchens have become alot more common in the past decade. I don't like the idea myself, but it's not uncommon any more.

Take a good close look at the drywall, especially in corners. I can see obvious seams in the drywall on those pics. Drywall finish is a good indicator of how well the rest of the house is built. When someone half * finishs the drywall it's a good clue they did everything that is hidden the same way or worse.

EDIT:
    Also keep in mind if it's a foreclosure the house will be sold as is, no coming back on them even if the house literally falls down on itself the day after you buy it.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    11 acres you can probably get for 15-20k.? that leaves $100,000 for the house, that is not the kind of 100k house I would want. Thats my .02 cents.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After looking again at the slope I noticed there wasn't any grade away from the home on the front side. Not good. You would need to remove some dirt about 30-40 foot away from the foundation and let the water run around the home not thru the home.
  • Options
    gregwgregw Member Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DID YOU SAY MOBILE HOME??????? With an addition, Run away from that very fast...If it were a modular home instead of a trailer with an addition it would be fine
  • Options
    garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    He did not say mobile home, someone else did.
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May I take a guess as to why the kitchen and living areas are located on the upper level and facing away from the road? Could it be that the view from the upper level and from the living area is very nice and so the house was built to incorporate it into the layout?

If you are going to live in a rural area, why would you want to not be able to enjoy the view? I wouldn't want to see nothing but the road and the driveway if I can look out over a valley and mother nature's bounty.
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, if you have plenty of trees on the property you can harvest the smaller ones and build a pole barn if you are so inclined. Is the area fenced?
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    To each their own but I do not like having to go up steps for everything. I think lugging stuff up and down those will get old after a while.

Also, how much driveway do you need to add/fix? Gravel can add up pretty quick if much is needed.
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly
    i have no idea what the country is like where it is, but if it`s snow country you might have trouble getting in and out in winter.

SUV with all wheel drive will get you through just about anything central MO can throw at you. Your Nissan Altima is not the vehicle to own when living in that house. Ground clearance and all wheel drive will make lfe much easier out there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Driveway is dirt.

I don't believe it's a mobile home. I was wrong on the square footage. It's 2320 not 2300. The drop ceiling in the basement is strange to me too. Seems like it should have a dry walled ceiling.

Foundation around the basement - lower level goes about 3 feet high.

Thinking this would be an upgrade from that double wide mobil home I was looking at but the double wide was a better deal.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first thing that I thought when I saw the pictures, was that it looked like a modular house. One of the type that is trucked in and stacked in sections. Not a bad thing, but you have to make sure the joints are tight and weatherproof.

My daughter and her husband have a house very similar to that one. It sits on the side of a hill, and is full of stairs. I don't like it myself, but they have adapted to that style. I'm too old and my knees are too bad to take much of that climbing.

The price sounds good, but like some others have said, driveway maintenance and mowing are going to become a headache. Look for deposits of gravel in spots and you will see where the problems are with the driveway. A heavy rain will cause the gravel to flow along with the water causing washouts and ruts.

Also a 4WD tractor like a Kubota, Kioti, John Deere, etc. is going to be mandatory to keep the grounds mowed and the driveway maintained. Then if you spend that kind of money on a tractor, you are going to want to get it under some kind of permanent secure structure ASAP.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Drop ceiling in basement makes it easier to get at plumbing on main floor. It's easier to install too.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vote no for most of the above reasons stated also. The deck is going to cause you problems,,,[B)],,,,and it will not be cheap. To many things about it that raises red flags to me,,,but I am not a expert, just been there done that kind to many things...nambu
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    WWRS?
    (what would Rawles say about it?)

It sounds like a great value, for the prices I know where I live.

Carrying groceries upstairs is not as big of a challenge as it sounds that getting gravity-flow water into Kit and M bath would be.

Those are some expensive windows.

If you have not already, I would recommend that you read these profiles.
    http://www.survivalblog.com/profiles.html

I printed all 76 pages, hole-punched, and added to my .000 (Patriots) binder.

Looks like a dense cover around the perimeter.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Passing on this one too. Thanks for all the comments.
    Can't get over that ugly looking raised deck. Sloped land and drop ceiling. Roof line looks like a trailer.
  • Options
    burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Passing on this one too. Thanks for all the comments.
    Can't get over that ugly looking raised deck. Sloped land and drop ceiling. Roof line looks like a trailer.

drobs, be very careful on foreclosure property!! I speak from experience, we are trying to close on a HUD owned property and it has been nothing less than a nightmare. Don't think for a minute that HUD is trying to get good people into good homes- they are a typical freaking gov't agency. DO NOT trust a HUD inspection, pay a couple of hundred to get your own done, BEFORE you put earnest money down or be prepared for a surprise or 2. And the most important thing is to get a Realtor AND Lendor who have dealt and really understand how foreclosures work. There are many programs (FHA 203K and Fannie Mae homerenovation loans) that my original realtor and lendor didn't have a clue/ didn't want to mess with, that could really help you. Good luck to you and happy hunting! Brian