In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Occupy Movement

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
These folks say they speak for 99%.

Well how can that be in just new York they would need to have at least 81,751 at the Protest to equal just 1% for that city. They have gotten now where near that so far.

Just like here in eugene we would need 2,155. They have been lucky to get 3-400 and the numbers are dropping.

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See the links I have added to your other post.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Was almost late for work this morning arguing with them. My last two posts shut them up and I got no more replies.

quote: You answer nothing. Break it down Barrny style for me. What I hear says we have no clue what we want and hope somebody will figure it out for us. But give us the money while we wait.
    12 hours ago ? Like

David Nelson Also Gary Have you ever thought that the reason we are not getting the answers is because you are not getting your point across. If you do not get your point across to the Media you Fail.
    12 hours ago ? Like
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BTDT
    Not sure why some, or most of you, are all bent out of shape, due to the occupiers.

As long as they don't do it on my doorstep, I could care less. [:X]

I personally don't care. It's a right they have and am glad they are exercising that right. But what they are saying and doing. If you read my links in the other post you will get the idea.
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=539197
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a couple of issiues that they have valid points. Redistributing the wealth, not so much. The USSR tried this and it failed.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BTDT
    Not sure why some, or most of you, are all bent out of shape, due to the occupiers.

As long as they don't do it on my doorstep, I could care less. [:X]
    Because they block traffic. People who block traffic are a pain in the *. People who are a pain in the * are not well liked, especially by me.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know what's going to stop the Occupy Protests. Winter. Except for Oakland, and they'll still have to put up with cold, crappy weather.

I heard a guy in a sound bite say, "Well be back in the spring by the thousands." Dude, you aren't drawing thousands now and it's 70 in the daytime and high 40's at night. And not raining yet.
  • Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another thing that may slow them down is lawsuits. There have been 40 N.Y. Policeman injured by protesters so far (haven't heard that on your evening news have you?)and the policeman's union is going to start pursing these people civilly as well as in criminal court. The N.Y. protesters have $500,000 in the bank which wouldn't last long after one or two judgements against them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We will below 32 in the morning with a cold snap coming.[:o)]
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Bunch of whiners. Quit worrying about how somebody else made his money, and make your own instead of looking for a damn handout.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Well how can that be in just new York they would need to have at least 81,751 at the Protest to equal just 1% for that city

For god's sake man- these are liberal arts majors! You cannot expect them to have MATH skills- and the Engineering majors are in class and studying like hell!

In the meantime, we have had a hard frost last 2 nights. I am ready for the Occupy Maui movement. Are you with me?
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I just spent 4 hours at the Occupy MN gathering this evening. Talked to some wonderful people, met some idiots, listened to some great music, and refined some positions I hold. As I have said in other posts about this subject my personal experience differs from what the media has been dishing out and what some posters on GB seem to have lapped up without question. It is a diverse group which brings many perspectives to bear on the failing systems we have today. People tonight expressed their fears of being subverted by the left wing democratic machine and , believe it or not, I heard discussion on how to get more Tea Partyers, Libertarians, and Ron Paul supporters there.

I know it is easier to put the whole effort down to some lazy slackers who only want a free ride but it really isn't that simple. What I have heard mostly ,from those with boots on the ground in Mpls, is a desire to force the issues into the light and keep the public's attention focused on the fact that the system is broken and really needs work. What they don't want to see is the public slide into winter and forget about everything besides dancing with the stars.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find it interesting that the Occupy Folks, with their Democrat Financial backing of $500K in the bank, call the homeless at the rally "free loaders". Their entire movement is about being free loaders,. they feel they should free load off the rest of us.

I love how the liberal rag TIME magazine called the OWS group the "silent majority"...what a fraudulent, baseless description. Based on my limited interaction I'd say the majority of Americans are quickly losing any sympathy for the OWS crowd.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    I just spent 4 hours at the Occupy MN gathering this evening. Talked to some wonderful people, met some idiots, listened to some great music, and refined some positions I hold. As I have said in other posts about this subject my personal experience differs from what the media has been dishing out and what some posters on GB seem to have lapped up without question. It is a diverse group which brings many perspectives to bear on the failing systems we have today. People tonight expressed their fears of being subverted by the left wing democratic machine and , believe it or not, I heard discussion on how to get more Tea Partyers, Libertarians, and Ron Paul supporters there.

I know it is easier to put the whole effort down to some lazy slackers who only want a free ride but it really isn't that simple. What I have heard mostly ,from those with boots on the ground in Mpls, is a desire to force the issues into the light and keep the public's attention focused on the fact that the system is broken and really needs work. What they don't want to see is the public slide into winter and forget about everything besides dancing with the stars.

So what are their goals and Objectives.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    I find it interesting that the Occupy Folks, with their Democrat Financial backing of $500K in the bank, call the homeless at the rally "free loaders". Their entire movement is about being free loaders,. they feel they should free load off the rest of us.Get a clue. This was never designed to be a soup kitchen to feed the starving of the world. This is about affecting positive change by removing corporate corruption. The food is meant to feed the people who are there to work this change and that is all. Your summary of "their entire movement" is as silly as saying the Tea Party movement is about getting Starbucks to feature tea over coffee.

I love how the liberal rag TIME magazine called the OWS group the "silent majority"...what a fraudulent, baseless description. Based on my limited interaction I'd say the majority of Americans are quickly losing any sympathy for the OWS crowd.

Perhaps the protest in MN is different. I would have to assume there would be some regional differences apparent over time. I can only speak to my experiences at the protest in my area and while there are many viewpoints represented there, many I disagree with, I see no lessening of support or loss of sympathy. Perpetrating the myth that this is all about "getting a free ride" as opposed to positive change is irresponsible as well as foolish. I would like to see you tell the Veterans for Peace guys that the only reason they are there is to get a free ride. That would be fun to watch.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BTDT you are the problem sitting back and doing nothing is the problem and we wonder why our country is going down.[:(][xx(][V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    quote:Originally posted by skicat

So what are their goals and Objectives.

Sorry. I missed your question. Once again I can only comment on what I have seen for myself but the one universal desire I have witnessed is for all regular Americans to talk about the problems we have, namely corporate excesses, and get involved and to shed their apathy. These people didn't come together because they have found solutions which will fit on a bumper sticker. They gather because they have successfully identified that something is wrong and they want our participation to help come up with solutions.

For too long the American people have been content to let someone else make the decisions and even complained about the inconvenience of having to vote for President every 4 years. It is plain that a system of benevolent neglect is no way to keep a Republic going. With that in mind, I would have to say the main goal is to involve the American people in their own lives again.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,272 ******
    edited November -1
    It's more than possible to represent a view with less than those represented present to represent it.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fshfndr
    BTDT you are the problem sitting back and doing nothing is the problem and we wonder why our country is going down.[:(][xx(][V]

So its BTDTs fault...glad we established that...now what? tar and feather? and no I'm not talking about your thong [:D][:p]
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    All I can say is that during the 60's they used dogs, and fire hoses. It worked very well!!![}:)][}:)][}:)]