In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Harley-Davidson to Shutdown Kansas Plant

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in General Discussion
Harley Davidson is losing business and profits big time!

serf

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/harley-davidson-to-close-kansas-city-assembly-plant-report-says

In the fourth quarter, Harley-Davidson worldwide retail motorcycle sales declined 9.6 percent versus the prior year. Harley-Davidson U.S. retail motorcycle sales were down 11.1 percent and the overall industry was down 6.5 percent compared to the year-ago quarter. Harley-Davidson U.S. market share was 50.8 percent in the 601+cc segment in the fourth quarter.

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    edited November -1
    Their base customers are dying off. Millennials neither want or can afford a $25,000 motorcycle.
    You can?t hardly give a used Harley away around here.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I've been seeing sales are off for all of the major manufacturers save for Indian.

My own pinion, they're hurting themselves with a lot of the new aesthetic style changes being made. The ploy of marketing to millenials and younger isn't playing out so well because the interest in motorcycles just isn't there like it is with the boomers.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Millennials can't pry their * off their phone. Sales of extreme sports equipment down too. They'd rather someone use their man bun as a h*** handle LOL
    They'll eventually morph into one eyed monsters with pointy thumbs.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjrfd99
    Millennials can't pry their * off their phone. Sales of extreme sports equipment down too. They'd rather someone use their man bun as a h*** handle LOL
    They'll eventually morph into one eyed monsters with pointy thumbs

Add a horn.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9H_cI_WCnE
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Malls are collapsing everywhere now.Jobs are mostly low paying and you can't support yourself much less a family. Robots machines are taking even hamburger flippers jobs and Women are becoming The major breadwinners in professional service jobs while men lag behind or not even there for a family at home.

The males can't even be drones if they are white because the women make them quasi-criminals but there is always hope that they can become mac daddies like the rest of the poor male population soon!~

serf

https://www.fastcompany.com/3062321/why-are-there-so-many-white-young-american-men-without-college-degrees

Now the job market has drastically shifted and demands a workforce with at least some specialized skill. Demand for entry-level positions in dying industries like mining and factory work is waning, while sectors like computer science and engineering are continually ramping up. Matthews told me the story of an energy company CEO who began his tenure at the company reading energy meters. ?Now,? he said, ?the meter reads itself.? Which is to say that technology has made some jobs obsolete, all while increasing the need for specialized skills for even entry-level positions.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slow errosion of America
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never, and will never be attracted to Harley Davidson products. I am still loyal to the BMW variety of 2 wheeled conveyances.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I have never, and will never be attracted to Harley Davidson products. I am still loyal to the BMW variety of 2 wheeled conveyances.

Jap Bikes are the most bang for the Buck, BMW and Harley are for The Brand Name and Prestige.[;)] Gold Wing would be a good Choice.

serf
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Computers and Robots in the future will take about 40% of the work force jobs while the democraps flood this country with illegals.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by serf
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

Jap Bikes are the most bang for the Buck, BMW and Harley are for The Brand Name and Prestige.[;)] Gold Wing would be a good Choice.

serf

The BMW G310 is probably the best value out there at this time. It's not the biggest, fastest etc, but for the list price and BMW warranty, the japs and others can't even come close.

Harley refuses to play. Back in the day, they had a 2 stroke enduro. Evidently because of the lack of success of that heavy pig, they won't join the 21st century in motorcycles.

BMW made a great scooter, sold like the dickens.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BMW's Suck!...[:(!]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harley announced their gonna make an electric bike.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Third time I got hit by a old lady was when motorcycles and I parted ways...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    Harley announced their gonna make an electric bike.
    ...and a new "Buggy Whip"....customers are dying out...they need to come up with a new item to sell...Guns are popular,maybe they could sell a Harley brand rifle?[:o)]
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bean counters are running the show! In the same press release HD announced an ELECTRIC motorcycle in production in the next 18 months.

Try rolling into Sturgis on your electric Harley and see how well all those pirates accept you into the ?brotherhood?. I guess an electric bike will fit in a trailer the same as one with a 100 year old designed V-Twin.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/harley-davidson-electric-motorcycle-18-months/
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    old joke:
    Why don't they make Harley Davidson jet skis?
    Because you can't push a jet ski.

new joke:
    Why don't they make electric Harley Davidsons?
    Because ________________________________
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warbirds
    The bean counters are running the show! In the same press release HD announced an ELECTRIC motorcycle in production in the next 18 months.

Try rolling into Sturgis on your electric Harley and see how well all those pirates accept you into the ?brotherhood?. I guess an electric bike will fit in a trailer the same as one with a 100 year old designed V-Twin.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/harley-davidson-electric-motorcycle-18-months/

The Zero has been out for quite some time and has gotten the tech down pretty good.

The article linked to, says the maker of the electric parts for the Harley bike went out of business.

The Zero has a model that can do 180 miles on a charge and is a dual sport. About 400lbs. I have driven that model and the lighter street bike. Way fun, and I would own one if I had an extra $18k

They do need to fire somebody because they are making stupid decisions at HD.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Harley Ultra Classic: $24,149

2000000032_480px.jpg

Kawasaki Voyager: $16,499 after $1,000 factory rebate

2000000002.jpg

I love my Voyager. 1700 cc, water-cooled, ABS braking system, cruise control, stereo [:)]
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the talk about millennials and not saving money, then you bash them for not blowing a wad on motorcycle. You guys crack me up.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always preferred European bikes....
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if any of the folks from the Kansas plant will get to transfer to the Pennsylvania plant to fill the 450 new jobs being created there?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    YEARS AGO I rode Harleys owned a 1972 and a 1974 vibrating Biggest paces of human secretion I ever owned. Work on them all week so I could ride them on the week end. and PARTS were very expensive and they required a lot of them.
    Years later I bought a HONDA GOLD WING put it in the shop once a year for oil change and tune up if it needed it. never broke loved it.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chuck
    YEARS AGO I rode Harleys owned a 1972 and a 1974 vibrating Biggest pieces of

"69-'81/82? was the AMF years. Worst thing to happen to Harley Davidson.
    I bought a '78 FLH (ElectraGlide) from the original owner in '85 with 48K miles on her. I got lucky and got one of the good ones as there was never an issue with her, 'til a cager totaled her at the gas pump in '90. More than doubled the miles on her and the only issue was a minor oil weep from the transmission. Not enough to drip, but enough to collect dust/dirt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    AMF saved Harley.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mag00
    AMF saved Harley.

People forget that part.
    They did make ya want to scrape the "A" off the tank though.
    Thank Jah for S+S parts.
    Q1SqUWSt.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So who will bail them out this time? Trump?

I got a crash course in the AMF history after purchasing my first Sportster. It was a 81 Milwaukee edition. Orange and black factory racing team colors.

It was produced in commemoration of buying back HD and they chose the Sportster because it was the longest running model in HD history.

I talked to a good amount of people at HD doing my research and they even sent me a copy of one of the owners standing next to that model sometime after they buyback.They were all sorts of happy and proud.

Problem is management. Failing to meet the needs of the people vs some HD ego trip. You would think that after the AMF intervention they would have woken up, but it seems they are too arrogant to figure it out.

And for those who think HD hold their value batter than other makers, you would only be partially correct. Only some old models have held their value. The new stuff drops drastically.

A $10K 883 is worth about $4k. The bigger bikes in late model can be had for $5 to $10k all day long here.

Yet in Tucson, we have 2 HD locations, go figure.
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mag00 - I agree with most of your post.

Issues are these in my opinion, some of which were stated earlier, not all...
    1) none of the current board or leadership were there during the buyback.
    The closest one is Willie G's son Bill. But he's in charge of the Museum. Great guy, understands more than where they have him.

2) no bail out this time. Why? Because Indian brand is doing well, it's not the Japanese bikes preparing to drive them out its other American competition. It's Sr leaders hubris.

3) quality is down under current leadership, I've had 6 recalls on my current bike, maybe 7. The current COO was in charge of product engineering and thought recalls were good because it drove customers into the dealers. Not the engineering logic I'd hoped for.

4) Royal Enfield is also doing quite well. Neat looking bikes coming into the 650 cc class eating away at the sportster and street customers, along with new riders.

5) customers... Not as many new riders coming up, when they do , Harley's aren't so innovative and fresh as Indian and others.

6) lack of innovation. Electric? Had that for some 6+ years and now it's a ho hum, me too. Should have gotten it out there, shown innovation and upgraded as they de-kinked the battery life.

Need new Sr leadership, and if the board doesn't understand that, well they need some changes too!
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few things for me,

1 Immitation is the most sincere form of flattery. For an old ancient design that is ugly and slow them jap bikes sure look an awfull lot like a Harley [B)]

2. Harley is now trying to emmulate the jap bikes that are emulating Harleys, wierd eh?

3. Price, c?mon Harley, a new paint scheme or a bitnof chrome added somewhere does not justify the cost of a new bike.

4 Harley caved to the feds and new Harleys now sound like a Honda [:(][V][xx(][B)]

I will not buy another Harley, why should I when the jap bikes look the same and are cheaper. I want chrome, fancy paint, rude sick styling and obnoxious pipes. So with that I am going to take advantage of the market and the fools with too much money and buy a used custom chopper that has all the features I want and are priced cheap because they do not hold thier value.

I was going to buy a new Street Glide this spring but have changed my mind, Harley has targeted a different market and that market does not include me.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    A few things for me,

1 Immitation is the most sincere form of flattery. For an old ancient design that is ugly and slow them jap bikes sure look an awfull lot like a Harley [B)]

2. Harley is now trying to emmulate the jap bikes that are emulating Harleys, wierd eh?

3. Price, c?mon Harley, a new paint scheme or a bitnof chrome added somewhere does not justify the cost of a new bike.

4 Harley caved to the feds and new Harleys now sound like a Honda [:(][V][xx(][B)]

I will not buy another Harley, why should I when the jap bikes look the same and are cheaper. I want chrome, fancy paint, rude sick styling and obnoxious pipes. So with that I am going to take advantage of the market and the fools with too much money and buy a used custom chopper that has all the features I want and are priced cheap because they do not hold thier value.

I was going to buy a new Street Glide this spring but have changed my mind, Harley has targeted a different market and that market does not include me.
    What happened to your last Harley, didnt you buy a new one just a few years ago?
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    A few things for me,

What happened to your last Harley, didnt you buy a new one just a few years ago?

I turned it into a 48? Spread Axle Reefer trailer, paid cash for the trailer and to be honest I was bored with that bike.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    Third time I got hit by a old lady was when motorcycles and I parted ways...

One six point buck when I'd only ridden 6k miles then the little old lady two years later...I never rode it again.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BikerBob
    Mag00 - I agree with most of your post.

Issues are these in my opinion, some of which were stated earlier, not all...
    1) none of the current board or leadership were there during the buyback.
    The closest one is Willie G's son Bill. But he's in charge of the Museum. Great guy, understands more than where they have him.

2) no bail out this time. Why? Because Indian brand is doing well, it's not the Japanese bikes preparing to drive them out its other American competition. It's Sr leaders hubris.

3) quality is down under current leadership, I've had 6 recalls on my current bike, maybe 7. The current COO was in charge of product engineering and thought recalls were good because it drove customers into the dealers. Not the engineering logic I'd hoped for.

4) Royal Enfield is also doing quite well. Neat looking bikes coming into the 650 cc class eating away at the sportster and street customers, along with new riders.

5) customers... Not as many new riders coming up, when they do , Harley's aren't so innovative and fresh as Indian and others.

6) lack of innovation. Electric? Had that for some 6+ years and now it's a ho hum, me too. Should have gotten it out there, shown innovation and upgraded as they de-kinked the battery life.

Need new Sr leadership, and if the board doesn't understand that, well they need some changes too!

Who or how did current management get there? Board elected?

If I were the CEO, I would dump half the current lineup, keep the Sportster and a big road bike. Of those two, some slight iterations for choice.

For new emerging markets and sales, maybe a plush scooter like BMW. Maybe not, but surely they could find something fresh and exciting, not an inferior electric bike which has a #1 maker already.

One model that never made it into production that I liked was this one:
    Harley-Davidson-4.jpg

A hostile takeover may be on the horizon anyway.
    KKR has an expansive history in the financial sector and is one of the biggest private equity firms globally with $126 billion under just assets management. The firm has a reputation of conducting leveraged buyouts on vulnerable companies, and the recent rumours suggest that KKR is looking to buy Harley-Davidson's outstanding stock for $65 per share, a 35 per cent premium over the regular value. This will either result in the equity firm becoming the complete owner or the largest shareholder of the motorcycle company.
    https://auto.ndtv.com/news/rumour-harley-davidson-could-soon-find-a-new-owner-1429817