In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Venison cooking ideas

lee_danlee_dan Member Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
Hay all ----

Been cooking venison once or twice a week
since hunting season ---
and I must say I'm getting a little filled up
with the taste ---
The stakes are roasts I season with onion and
garlic powder or minced onions ---

Any good ideas ?????

Lee

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I get venison from a co-worker (trade for the wifes guava pastries)

When he butchers, he makes steaks and then cubes them.

I take said cubes, season with kosher salt and black pepper, and then make kabobs out of 'em. Soak bamboo skewers in water for a few hours, then alternate a piece of meat, chunk of onion and/or green pepper, etc.

May also want to grind some with some apple wood smoked bacon and make burgers...
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    Many moons ago (and I mean MANY) I made a road trip with a buddy of mine who was playing a show in New Philadelphia, Ohio. After the show was over and in the weeeeee hours of the morning we took the after hours party over to a fellas house. Needless to say, at that hour the munchies started to set in so this fella breaks out the cast iron skillet and some fresh back straps. Now this good old boy cubed up the back straps, then sliced up some green pepper, onion, and fresh garlic. He then gets the skillet nice and hot, throws in a sliver of butter, then all the ingredients. Only seasoning he used after that was kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Let me tell you it was the most fantastic assembly of late night drunken goodies I had ever had in my life! I was ready to fight over the last piece it was so good! Damn...now I'm hungry![:p][:p][:D][:D][8D][8D]
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 can cream of mushroom soup + 1 can water
    4 tabelspoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon Adolph's meat tenderizer (w/ seasoning)
    1 vidalia onion, sliced
    venison (roast or chunks for stewing)

Combine cream of mushroom soup, water, meat tenderizer, and onion in a crock pot. Stir well. Set crock pot on low setting.

Brown venison roast or stew meat in pan w/ olive oil, then place venison in crock pot.

Allow to slow cook on low for 7-8 hours.

Dig in.[;)]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steak au Poivre

Ingredients

* 4 tenderloin steaks, 6 to 8 ounces each and no more than 1 1/2 inches thick
    * Kosher salt
    * 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
    * 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    * 1 teaspoon olive oil
    * 1/3 cup Cognac, plus 1 teaspoon
    * 1 cup heavy cream

Directions

Remove the steaks from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour prior to cooking. Sprinkle all sides with salt.

Coarsely crush the peppercorns with a mortar and pestle, the bottom of a cast iron skillet, or using a mallet and pie pan. Spread the peppercorns evenly onto a plate. Press the fillets, on both sides, into the pepper until it coats the surface. Set aside.

In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil. As soon as the butter and oil begin to turn golden and smoke, gently place the steaks in the pan. For medium-rare, cook for 4 minutes on each side. Once done, remove the steaks to a plate, tent with foil and set aside. Pour off the excess fat but do not wipe or scrape the pan clean.

Off of the heat, add 1/3 cup Cognac to the pan and carefully ignite the alcohol with a long match or firestick. Gently shake pan until the flames die. Return the pan to medium heat and add the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add the teaspoon of Cognac and season, to taste, with salt. Add the steaks back to the pan, spoon the sauce over, and serve.

VENISON TIPS & NOODLES

Good sized sirloin or tip steak, cut in cubes

3/4 c. water
    2 tbsp. beef base
    1/2 c. red wine
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. thyme
    1 tbsp. cornstarch

Brown meat in pan. Bring other ingredients (except cornstarch) to a boil in separate pot. Lower and thicken with cornstarch. Pour sauce over meat in casserole dish. Place in oven at 300 degrees for 3 hours or until meat tender. Serve with noodles or rice if preferred.

Venison and Peppers

Ingredients:

1 pound venison steak -- diagonally sliced

Marinade:

1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoons dry sherry
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoons cornstarch (corn flour)
    1/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons oil
    4 cloves garlic -- chopped
    2 teaspoons ginger root -- peeled, grated
    2 scallions -- chopped
    2 tablespoons oil
    1 large onion
    2 green peppers or 1 red, 1 green -- sliced

Directions:

1. Marinate steak for 15 minutes or more. Add oil to hot pan or wok.

2. Swirl and stir fry garlic, ginger and scallions for 30 seconds.

3. With slotted spoon, reserving the marinade, add half the steak and stir fry for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside. Repeat with remaining steak.

4. Add oil and stir fry onion and green peppers for 2 minutes.

5. Push vegetables to sides of wok. Add marinade to center of wok and stir until thickened and bubbly.

6. Blend in vegetables, add steak and heat thoroughly.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a good deer burger recipe.

1. 1-1 1/2 pound deer burger
    2. One packet Lipton dry onion soup mix
    3. Dice an onion up (Optional)
    4. A couple Diced up mushroom's
    5. 1/2 Cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
    6. Black Pepper
    7. Season All Salt
    8. Garlic Powder

Mix all that stuff together to make sure the cheese is blended in well to hold the burger's together. Throw em' on the grill preferably, or in a skillet over med/high heat until done to your liking. Side dish of some good ol' fresh Morel mushroom's cooked in lots of butter should be added within the next couple months.[:p]
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a quick and easy meal. 20 min.

Deer Steak Tacos

1 pound of steak (cut cross grain for tenderness)
    green onions
    olive oil
    taco mix
    ranch style beans

Thin slice a couple of steaks, they don't have to be choice cuts.

In a hot skillet, some chopped green onions and olive oil, saute onions.

Throw your thin steak slices in the skillet and brown.

Add a package of taco seasoning with a little water.

Let it cook down then add the can of beans.

Some flour tortillas, sour cream, taco sauce and tomatoes.

Eat up!