In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Python vis-a-vis 686/19/27

JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
Which compares closest to Colt's Python: Smith and Wesson 686, 19, or 27?

Thanks.

Comments

• wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho

Thanks.

Which compares closest to S&W 686, 19, or 27: Colt Python? Others?

Fixed it.[;)][:D]
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh!

I get it.

[:D]
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho

Thanks.

Which compares closest to S&W 686, 19, or 27: Colt Python? Others?

Fixed it.[;)][:D]
    yep 686.......nice catch and correction
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Funny you should post this tonight. I recently acquired a S&W 686 and ordered a Pachmayr grip for it. I have the same grip on my Python. Just a little while ago, when I held the 686 with the new grip installed, I thought how much it felt like the Python--balance, heft, etc. I don't own either of the others--the 19 or the 27--but I like the way the 686 measures up. Also, my Python is a 6" barrel. The 686 is the 4". I'll be packing the Smith around more often due to the barrel length and to the Python's comfort in the gun safe.
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own S&W 686 and Python, both in 4".

The Python is front heavy.
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have and love a Smith 686 with a 6" full lugged barrel . It shoots as good as I can , probably better in the right hands , that being said , I have NEVER felt a smoother action than a Colt Python !!!

No matter where I come across one the actions on each and every one I have had the pleasure to fire were super sweet and smoothhhhhh

Wish I had the cash for one [:(]

Didn't really notice any difference in accuracy , but only in the action itself.

JMHO [:o)]
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This would be #39.

Python & 27 as top of the line.

39. The Python is the top of the Colt line and the Model 27 (post 1957) or "Registered Magnum" (1935-1939) or simply "357 Magnum" (1939-1956)... depending on date of manufacture... is the comparable top of the S&W line. Some people make the huge mistake of asserting that the Models 586 and/or 686 are comparable to the Python but they most definitely are not. These models were intended to be service grade revolvers and in absolutely no way, shape or form do they compare to the quality of either the Python or the Model 27. The 586/686 bears a passing, superficial resemblance to the Python due to its barrel contour but that's where the similarity ends.

Top of the Colt line:

standard.jpg

Top of the S&W line:

standard.jpg