In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

anyone know about bluetooths?

CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
edited December 2012 in General Discussion
All I know about them is its aggrivating when you think somebody in a store is talking to you and they are actually on one of those things.
The wife wants one for Christmas. Do I just buy one of those ear piece deals and she can set it up to her phone or do I have to order one for a specific phone make/model?

Comments

• Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe for the most part... Blue Tooth technology has standardized.
    Meaning that ANY Bluetooth transceiver will work with ANY Bluetooth compatible device.
    Generally the more they cost the better they are... But you can find cheaper ones that work very well.

Google Blue Tooth Headset Reviews and do some leg work... You'll be well off.

Otherwise be prepared for the wife to constantly complain that it don't work, she can't hear,
    they can't hear, it falls off, it's broke, it don't fit, I can't keep it charged enough to work good, etc. etc. etc...

Been there done that... The wife just uses her cell phone now... AND No complaints.

Ohh... And Good Luck... [:D]
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no matter what he chooses..........it wont be the right one, according to HER
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    You need to ask her more questions.
    Bluetooth is the standard. Like windows. But there are a lot of manufactures that build Bluetooth into their products.

It just lets your phone connect to different devices wirelessly.
    That could be an earpiece. Or a speaker/ microphone in the car. Or a stereo at home or a bunch of things.

And unfortunately yes. You get what you pay for.
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    I know she wants one of those ear pieces.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    buy cheap and you'll buy over and over again until you buy the good one(a subjective assesment) unless your wife is like some guys here i.e. too stubborn to just throw it away and buy another one.

all the ear pieces work with all bluetooth capable phones.

read the reviews. many of them, even the pricier ones, suck. usually either the speaker or the microphone are crap, sometimes both so you can neither hear what they are saying nor transmit your message to them. many of them are so god awful uncomfortable you wear it for 5 minutes and throw it directly in the garbage.

i love the idea of bluetooth headsets, but i cant stand people who never take them out. i call them bluetools. they just strut around all day wearing their stupid blinking bluetooth. its pretentious and annoying. when you're on the phone, fine. thats what it wasdesigned for, but after the call, take the thing out.
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three cheap ones and two of them just randomly dial people unless I keep calls deleted. They all were immediately stripped of the ear wire. Now they work, but people say I sound lousy. Plantronic that went swimming was the best.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got mine when I bought a Toyota Tundra. Now I make calls on my steering wheel. I'd say buy her a new Toyota, I'll bet she won't complain.
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plantronics brand is, in my opinion, about the best. They make many different styles. You just "pair" the phone to the headset. Quite simple.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you get one with good noise cancellation. That blocks out the background noise so the person on the other end can actually hear YOU. I have a motorola h50 earpiece and carried on a phone conversation using it while vacuum cleaning my house. The person on the other end had NO idea. I bought it several years ago and can only imagine the improvements in technology since then!
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by midnightrunpaintballer
    Make sure you get one with good noise cancellation. That blocks out the background noise so the person on the other end can actually hear YOU. I have a motorola h50 earpiece and carried on a phone conversation using it while vacuum cleaning my house. The person on the other end had NO idea. I bought it several years ago and can only imagine the improvements in technology since then!
    My younger brother... The truck-driver... Uses a Bluetooth earpiece when he makes his calls.
    It is annoying as hell since he's too cheap to buy one WITH noise cancelling.
    He can't hear well with it... So he turns up the gain (ear volume) which in turn turns up the pickup (microphone gain)...
    He can't hear me... I can't make out what he says over the noise coming in...
    Or he cuts in / out along with my voice cutting in / out...

Noise cancelling... It's your friend. [;)]
    Don't buy one without it... Some are much better than others.