In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pearl Harbor USS Arizona Monument Closed

andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
They found serious cracks developing and have closed the monument indefinitely. They may have to totally rebuild. I don't know about you guys, but I'd pitch in a contribution if they need.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/05/27/uss-arizona-memorial-pearl-harbor-closed-indefinitely.html?ESRC=airforce_a_180530.nl

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there should be no contribution needed, the money they waste on BS and other countries should be pulled and used for this instead......
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Fix it and send the bill to japan...
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2

[8D][8D][8D]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,572 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pull all the funding to the sorry POS sanctuary states and cities and use it to honor our fallen
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I already pay enough taxes, actually too much. And if the Liberals ever get control of the government again I'll probably end up paying even more.

I'm with hillbilly and DitchRunner, and would add to get rid of welfare also. Plus get rid of the politicians ability to give themselves raises, Take all that money, rebuild it and then cut taxes with the rest of the money saved....
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell - grow a set of nads and send the illegals packing. With the amount of money and resources we WASTE on them every year we could raise and refurbish the Arizona.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    I like that idea
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    there should be no contribution needed, the money they waste on BS and other countries should be pulled and used for this instead......

^^^^^ contributing money that will just be spent on something else.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It shouldn't come as a surprise. It opened in 1962, ironically on May 30 - 56 years almost to the day they found the cracks.

We'll see if it will be cost-effective to repair it, or if any repair or replacement would cause too much disruption to the ship itself. That would be the major concern, IMHO.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure that if it is rebuilt, it would NOT rest ON the Arizona. It would be safer for the ship if the monument simply straddled the ship. I got to visit the monument two years ago. Very impressive and worth saving/rebuilding.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It straddles it now, but removing and replacing it would necessarily cause some agitation and disruption of the ship - which is in extremely fragile condition.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,486 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille

The pedestal for the Statue of Liberty was built with targeted contributions.

The USS Constitution was rebuilt with targeted contributions on more than one occasion.

The USS Olympia has been rehabilitated with targeted contributions.

Were these not worth the effort and expense?

A specific fund to repair the Arizona Memorial will get my donation, as the experience of entered that sacred place is something that should be available to all who wish to have it.

One can sit back and point to any number of places where tax dollars are wasted, but if we do not step up to preserve that which should be preserved, where would we be?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm with you, Don. Wife and I have been there twice - 45 years ago and recently. The only visitors more solemn and affected than we were this last time were the Japanese. I'd bet that a lot of Japanese people would contribute to a rescue fund. In a very real way, it's their monument, too.

(Honolulu gets so many Japanese tourists that the street signs are in English and Japanese. Really.)