In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Larry McMurtrys' "Streets of Laredo"

53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
Saw most of it last night. Supposed to be a follow up to Lonesome Dove. I normally don't care much for the newer Westerns, but this one was pretty good.
In one scene this old boy had his ear shot off. Well, not completely off, it was hanging by a thread. The shooter then walks up behind him, took his knife and cut the rest of it off and shoved it in the guys vest pocket. Ouch!

Comments

• Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That movie is good, but the book's better. and for a maybe even better McMurtry book, try Commanche Moon.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't Marty Robbins have a record out something about "The Streets of Laredo" He recorded some good ones.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the best writers of the 20th Century.

Clouder..
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We bring the whole trilogy to deer camp in November and watch it on a small DVD. Oh yeah, this camp is in South Texas. Great camp, great food, good drinks and great company.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Bang the drum slowly
    And play the fife lowly
    Play the dead march
    As they carry me on..."
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    Loved Lonesom Dovevery well made film,but the other two in the trioligy were garbage in my opinion.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Thanks 4 the tip Brent.I'm d/loadin it now!![8D]
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    Thanx for the tip, just got done watching the entire western collection of Larry McMurtry over the last couple of weeks. Really enjoyed it, even watching Lonesome Dove and Comanche Moon again.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two harmonicas, and both of them are stupid. The only songs either of them know are Red River Valley and Streets of Laredo. Sheesh!

(I went through Air Force pilot training at Laredo. The base closed soon thereafter. Coincidence? I think not.)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I have two harmonicas, and both of them are stupid. The only songs either of them know are Red River Valley and Streets of Laredo. Sheesh!

(I went through Air Force pilot training at Laredo. The base closed soon thereafter. Coincidence? I think not.)

What happened Rocky,did U wear the place out??
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I like to think that after I graduated, they realized they'd already produced the finest pair of hands ever to grace a cockpit, and therefore there was no need to continue, of course!

(In truth, the Air Force found itself with way too many pilots as Vietnam wound down, and the need to train thousands more every year went away. So they closed almost all pilot training bases.)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.