In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Computer replacement...

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in General Discussion
....I need a desk top for my business at least 12GB....I currently am using an old Lenova Windows 7.....I have an Acer 12GB, that I really like on my side of the office, but I need to upgrade the other side..(Billing)...any suggestions Acers are hard to find...very few towers on the MKT....anything new that I need to know about?....NO HP, No Lenova,and no Dell...

Comments

• pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What?...No one knows?..GB folks have no clue?..[?]
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Another respectful disagreement. I like ACER but you'll find that once opened up all PC's are pretty much made of the same components. The biggest difference is the proprietary software loaded on the machine such as DELL seems to like to do with their BIOS and features.

LENOVO actually gives pretty good support and is easy to "clean" of the installed junk. HP, though somewhat questionable in the past, is now pretty good and easy to rid of bloatware.

If I were to purchase a desktop PC right now it would be a loaded LENOVO mini footprint machine. Very compact, very powerful, and simple. USB connections allow CDROM or other devices. Wireless is built in and I might suggest a large SSHDD with lots of memory.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pwillie,

Here is a whole selection of Acer desktops:

https://www.newegg.com/Acer-America-Desktop-Computers/BrandSubCat/ID-1146-10

You can use the left column for sorting out what you want. You can even choose the operating system in case you have a preference. Yes, they have units with 12GB of RAM.

For a bookkeeping system, I usually recommend a stand alone NAS or Network Attached Storage, to provide a backup for your bookkeeping and billing dept. Your bookkeeper can backup at the end of the day, end of the week or month depending on the reliability of your software and electrical supply. Most small businesses can get away with 500GB in a solid state hard drive at the most, even if you scan a lot of documents for file. You can even get thumb drives with 256GB nowadays.

Enjoy!
  • mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    What?...No one knows?..GB folks have no clue?..[?]

I'm somewhat partial to the Asus. Do homework on the processor. Some are budget and while specs appear good, they may not perform as well as the good version
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no clue [:D][8]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What?...No one knows?..GB folks have no clue?..[?]Well, when you posted "NO HP, No Lenova,and no Dell"; you pretty much eliminated everything but the HAL (Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic Computer) 9000 computer! [:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both HP and Dell make decent machines these days. They are all pretty much the same components, so buy as much processor/hard drive/memory that you can. That is pretty much it, unless you need a high-end video card to play games.

My new HP laptop is great, as my 2 year old Dell desktop has been great too.

Merc
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Owned nothing but Dell desktops for several years. Never had a problem. Besides they have one of the best informative support websites on the net.

I do my own hardware upgrades and their support website displays all the information needed to do so.

I'll own nothing but a Dell.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any of us that have been using Home PC?s for any amount of time probably have a love/hate relationship with any or all of the manufacturers that we?ve dealt with. I have had pretty good luck with Dell and I?ve been using nothing but Dell Desktop PC?s and Laptops since 2002. In May I replaced my wife?s 6 year old Dell XPS 8300 with a new Dell XPS 8910. In July I replaced my 7 year old Dell Studio XPS 9100 with a Dell XPS 8920. Both old computers were working fine, just getting long in the tooth technology wise. Both new computers seem to be working fine. Both new computers have 16GB of memory, Nvidia Graphics Cards, Microsoft Office 2016 Professional, and Windows 10 Pro.

I?m in the process of reconfiguring the XPS 8300 to its original as delivered software configuration for my sister who just moved back into her restored home in Baton Rouge (damaged in the floods). Among lots of other belongings, she lost her computer to water damage. I?m still not sure what I?ll do with my old XPS 9100, perhaps donate it to a local charity, school, or thrift store after restoring it to its original as delivered configuration and making sure the Hard Drive is cleaned of any personal information.

During my 15 years using Dell PC?s I?ve only had one bad experience and that was 2 years ago. It had to do with cosmetic damage that I believe Dell (in Mexico) caused, but still boxed it for shipment. I could be wrong, but I sent it back to Dell (they paid for return shipping) and I got a full refund (that took about 45 days)! I didn?t think I?d buy a Dell again, but after looking around I gave them another chance and so far, in my case, I?m glad I did!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a small form factor business computer.Hands down the best buy. HP & Dell are Chinese junk unless a business model.

serf
    edited November -1
    Thanks folks, now I can really screw myself!...LOL![:D][:D][:p]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by serf

Get a small form factor business computer.Hands down the best buy. HP & Dell are Chinese junk unless a business model.

serf
    Whats a form factor business computer?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Mmmmm....what sort of applications are requiring 12 gb ram ?

I only ask because that is a bit of an odd specification as the only determinant for choosing.

I am presuming you are using 64 bit OS and applications.
    I have two Corps. that need file service,plus invoicing,scanning,and inventory control...speed is the need..!The last lenova seemed to die out early.....I have Corbinite, as well as disk backup...along with external hard drives..We are constantly putting in and taking out of inventory in 5 different locations...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    pwillie,

Here are a whole selections of Acer desktops:

https://www.newegg.com/Acer-America-Desktop-Computers/BrandSubCat/ID-1146-10

You can use the left column for sorting out what you want. You can even choose the operating system in case you have a preference. Yes, they have units with 12GB of RAM.

For a bookkeeping system, I usually recommend a stand alone NAS or Network Attached Storage, to provide a backup for your bookkeeping and billing dept. Your bookkeeper can backup at the end of the day, end of the week or month depending on the reliability of your software and electrical supply. Most small businesses can get away with 500GB in a solid state hard drive at the most, even if you scan a lot of documents for file. You can even get thumb drives with 256GB nowadays.

Enjoy!
    Thanks guy!...I have all the safety features plus battery and generator backup....I just need to know where to put my investment,I have had techs come by, and every one has his pet unit...I need to know more about my accounting at the flip of the switch...we run fast when we run...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nord
    Another respectful disagreement. I like ACER but you'll find that once opened up all PC's are pretty much made of the same components. The biggest difference is the proprietary software loaded on the machine such as DELL seems to like to do with their BIOS and features.

LENOVO actually gives pretty good support and is easy to "clean" of the installed junk. HP, though somewhat questionable in the past, is now pretty good and easy to rid of bloatware.

If I were to purchase a desktop PC right now it would be a loaded LENOVO mini footprint machine. Very compact, very powerful, and simple. USB connections allow CDROM or other devices. Wireless is built in and I might suggest a large SSHDD with lots of memory.

Thanks guy!..I will look into your idea of another Lenova...
  • serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by serf

serf
    Whats a form factor business computer?

Here is a example of one.

serf

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/acer-mini-computer-veriton-vn4630g-intel,1-2140.html

These Acer systems are bundled for IT and SMB customers with Acer Office Manager and Acer ProShield software for system administration, maintenance and security. With the bundled software Acer hopes to empower small business owners who lack dedicated IT staff.

According to Acer, these small form factor mini desktops can offer cost savings for organizations over traditional desktop PCs. The assertion is that the mini-desktops have enough computing power to handle most workplace tasks, but can do so at a lower operating cost owing to lower power consumption, which Acer says is comparable to thin clients.
    edited November -1
    Mmmmm....what sort of applications are requiring 12 gb ram ?

I only ask because that is a bit of an odd specification as the only determinant for choosing.

I am presuming you are using 64 bit OS and applications.
    I have two Corps. that need file service,plus invoicing,scanning,and inventory control...speed is the need..!The last lenova seemed to die out early.....I have Corbinite, as well as disk backup...along with external hard drives..We are constantly putting in and taking out of inventory in 5 different locations...

Well, if you re trying to duplicate a dedicated file server, then you will need a 64 bit OS (if your applications are 64 bit as well), solid state drives, and a cracking fast processor, too.

With a large wattage power supply, and decent ventilation/cooling.

...so tell me a brand(all) that I can search for? That has these qualifications?...
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pwillie,

This is how I finally resolved all the issues I was having with the generalized commercially available desktops and laptops. I called and discussed the problems with a tech and they came back with answers and solutions. But I don't depend on any of these units to stay at the peak of processing without updating them every year. The technology moves far too fast these days to let a main line computer sit on your desk for 3 or 4 years without attention.

Given all the questions and many of the same suggestions without finding a resolution, I wonder if it might be better to pursue a 'custom' type desktop which has all the components you require as well as the 'cracking fast' processing speed?

https://www.originpc.com/workstation/desktops/pro-desktops/

Scroll through the solutions readily available then take a run at the 'customization' section. It has check lists of the various components you want or need to make this a great machine.

Best.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked hard on PCs for years, then I got a Mac and i work hard on my business...
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This goes against the grain, but I'm typing this on a Gateway tower that is almost bulletproof. I say "almost" because my wife completely ruined one trying to install and change Win 10 on her identical one. What she did, I have no clue. But it wouldn't even boot when she got done. She had it repaired, and it worked until she did something else (probably the same thing she did before) and toasted it again.

I stress that my Gateway is a home model and may not have enough oomph for a business machine, but this thing has been chugging along for
    four or five years now without a hiccup.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.