In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Jeep XJ Auto Trans ?

MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
I could use some input, 96 Cherokee AW4 auto trans. This morning I started it again after stopping for a short while, still warm, put it in reverse, felt or heard a slight crunch (maybe just the park pawl, I was parked on a hill) or pop and I've got no reverse. No reverse, now a forward gear in neutral (I'm not sure which gear, doesn't feel like first), reverse kind of acts like neutral now, but the Jeep won't actually move (pushing) unless I shut the motor off. There is no real neutral or reverse anymore. Starts fine in park or neutral, so I'm thinking the cable is OK.
Seen anything like this before or have any ideas where I might start looking?
I about had a heart attack pushing it up the hill backwards, far enough to drive out forwards. One thing I forgot to check is if I had all my forward gears in drive, I wasn't far from home and was hesitant to drive it very fast or far.

Comments

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just build a circle driveway and problem solved.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    How many miles on it [?]
    Sounds like a stuck valve in the valve body.
    The neutral switch will let it start in park or neutral even if a valve is stuck so you have forward gears.
    Pull the trans dipstick and look at and smell the fluid. If dark and a burnt smell, you have burnt clutches.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a low/reverse clutch issue.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the linkage first.Check that the sound you heard was not a linkage retainer or spring.
  • swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1
    My 98 XJ had issues with the neutral safety switch.

But, I only lost my reverse lights because it was so gunked up with the factory grease.

I took it off the trans(passenger side IIRC), took it apart and cleaned the hell out of it.
  • MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buddyb
    Check the linkage first.Check that the sound you heard was not a linkage retainer or spring.

I checked out the linkage today, nothing obvious is wrong. It starts fine in neutral and park so the linkage/cable is likely OK. The same cable/linkage for the neutral safety as for the valve body. I've got some help coming today, me under the Jeep and my son working the shifter.
  • MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swampgut

But, I only lost my reverse lights because it was so gunked up with the factory grease.

I took it off the trans(passenger side IIRC), took it apart and cleaned the hell out of it.

Mine is having some issues with the neutral safety switch also, I sometimes had to jiggle the shifter to get a start. Mine probably needs to be cleaned out also. I found out how to adjust the neutral safety switch and a chart to do an ohm test. The chart tells which pins in the neutral safety switch connector plug should have continuity in the different gears. After that I'm going to do an ohm test on the solenoids, I have noticed a little blip in my volt meter when the tranny shifted, I'm thinking I my have a short or open circuit for one of the solenoids. Hopefully it is something I can fix, I'm kind of attached to the old Cherokee. A new trans wouldn't likely be cost affective and I'd have to part it out or junk it. I've got two extra transmissions now (an 87 and an 88), both with the wrong output shaft spline count[V].
  • swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MudderChuck
    quote:Originally posted by swampgut

Mine is having some issues with the neutral safety switch also, I sometimes had to jiggle the shifter to get a start. Mine probably needs to be cleaned out also. I found out how to adjust the neutral safety switch and a chart to do an ohm test. The chart tells which pins in the neutral safety switch connector plug should have continuity in the different gears. After that I'm going to do an ohm test on the solenoids, I have noticed a little blip in my volt meter when the tranny shifted, I'm thinking I my have a short or open circuit for one of the solenoids. Hopefully it is something I can fix, I'm kind of attached to the old Cherokee. A new trans wouldn't likely be cost affective and I'd have to part it out or junk it. I've got two extra transmissions now (an 87 and an 88), both with the wrong output shaft spline count[V].

When I had mine junkyards said they would crush the trannies for them because they never went bad...so nobody ever came looking for one.

I sold mine when it hit 107,000 miles because gas got up to a whopping $1.70.....[8)]

I did everything I could to it to maximize fuel efficiency and all I got was gobs more power and THE SAME DAMN MPG....

It didn't matter if I drove it like a bat out of hell or putted around.

I got 15 mpg in town and 20 on the highway like clockwork.

Damnedest thing.

As far as the NSS goes it probably just needs to be cleaned.

The factory grease they use is some nasty stuff.

It looked like cosmoline IIRC and it turned to hard wax over time.

I cleaned it up and used some lithium dielectric grease on it.