In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which 22 semi auto is best

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
I have the browning buckmark, S&W 22, and Ruger 22/45 with a pac lite barrel. I was wondering if the high stadard or the ruger mach 1,2,3 was better. Whats your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Original High Standard [Hamden,CT] Super Matic Trophy is VERY hard to beat! My personal favorite. [^]

As to rifles my stock Marlin 60, will print 50yd. clover leafs all day with CCI Stingers - so you might want to tell that guy $200.00. [:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    I have the browning buckmark, S&W 22, and Ruger 22/45 with a pac lite barrel. I was wondering if the high stadard or the ruger mach 1,2,3 was better. Whats your opinion?
    I thought you had a Marlin Model 60 that you bought last year.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have 2 marlin 60s already. I also have 2 ruger 10/22s and 1 10/22 has a different trigger and stock. With that said i like my Marlins better. At 50 yards i can hit a nickle all day long. I tape them to my target and shoot them the kids love it.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Recently got a Buckmark and like it, but I am partial to my Ruger MkII's and MkIII.

I have a pac-lite on my MkIII that is pretty sweet.

What model of S&W 22 do you have. My only experience is with the S&W 422 and I love it.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a Ruger Mk II, Govt. model Target that I really like.
    Never owned, but shot several S&W 41's - over priced and way over rated! IMO
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High Standard HD Military.[^]
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the intended use of the weapon?

I have a marlin 60, henry lever, a western auto bolt action, winchester 60a, s&w 422, walther p22, 10/22, 22/45 and heritage 22/22mag single 6.

I love almost all of my .22's and I use each one for a specific use. The walther is the only gun I have ever bought that I felt like I got had. I am just not happy with it. The S&W 422 has been my longest owned most used pistol and I love it. Hands down my favorite pistol.

You will never go wrong with mark i ii or iii. They may be difficult to clean the first few times but once you learn it's not a big deal.

I think the better question to ask is what .22 semi auto would you NOT buy?
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ruger 22/45 with the polymer frame, of course![}:)]
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone make a 22 auto handgun that shoots shorts?
  • Options
    redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Beretta is the only one i know i want to say it was phinx?
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Browning 22 auto takedown.
  • Options
    barbwiredbarbwired Member Posts: 8,254
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Beretta Minx , Beretta 950BS , Beretta B , I think.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, I found a High Standard,but I would need an inheritance to afford it...thanks guys...
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Browning 22 auto takedown.

yes.

even the imitations aint bad
  • Options
    traprtrapr Member Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .22 pistol,colt woodsman match target,second or third generation,prefer 6 inch.dont own one but some friends do.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Got a Ruger 22/45. don't care much for the plastic, but it functions flawlessly.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    You must love embroiled conflict with very little in the way of concrete data. You ask such vague questions that never have a clear answer, just a lot of subjective opinions and conjecture.

I just don't get it...
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone has an opinion of what is best. I like my Brownings and my Woodsmans.
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    You must love embroiled conflict with very little in the way of concrete data. You ask such vague questions that never have a clear answer, just a lot of subjective opinions and conjecture.

I just don't get it...

He's Dave...

I mean, what else is there to say? [;)]

I think he's a bit bored, and wants to have contact with the outside world. Also, I think he's just looking for something to focus on.

But, I understand, his questions, and remarks, can seem a bit odd, at times.

However, given his plight, I think a bit of latitude's in order, here.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oso2142
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18

I just don't get it...

He's Dave...

I mean, what else is there to say? [;)]

I think he's a bit bored, and wants to have contact with the outside world. Also, I think he's just looking for something to focus on.

But, I understand, his questions, and remarks, can seem a bit odd, at times.

However, given his plight, I think a bit of latitude's in order, here.

I'm not saying he shouldn't ask or be castigated for doing so. I just don't understand it is all. Consistently asking questions that have no clear answer as if they do is odd behavior that I have trouble processing. But hey, if that's what blows his skirt up then by all means. Better this type of posts than some others....
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    browning nomad out shoots my ruger mk11 target all day long $350-400

HS comes in 2nd sk100 is around $300-400

buckmark is about like the ruger

the nomads are the low end browning i can only think how accuriate the medalist is.

DSCF1949_1752.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was just looking for another purchase to make and was wondering what people thought was better than i had. Or if i already had the best.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consistently asking questions that have no clear answer as if they do is odd behavior that I have trouble processing.

I kinda thought that was what the forums were for.
    The easy stuff I can find on Google.
    Keep those cards and letters coming folks! (opinions, preconceived notions, etc. keeps life interesting!)
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    dav1965...since you asked for an opinion, I will give mine. I have all the .22 pistols that you mentioned (and quite a few more), but none of them are "better" than my Browning Medalist, or my High Standard Olympic and the mentioned Trophy. I have several Smith 41's and they shoot very well but nothing is in the same league as a Medalist. Now is the time to buy a Medalist (and they ain't cheap) as prices seem to be down but if you buy one you will have it forever.....I have had mine since 1968 and it shoots like the day I got it! Nothing made today can touch it IMHO.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    dav1965...since you asked for an opinion, I will give mine. I have all the .22 pistols that you mentioned (and quite a few more), but none of them are "better" than my Browning Medalist, or my High Standard Olympic and the mentioned Trophy. I have several Smith 41's and they shoot very well but nothing is in the same league as a Medalist. Now is the time to buy a Medalist (and they ain't cheap) as prices seem to be down but if you buy one you will have it forever.....I have had mine since 1968 and it shoots like the day I got it! Nothing made today can touch it IMHO.

+100 on the older 22's one day ill have a medalist
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    Remington 550-1

Shoot7.jpg

not mine, but this old Remington is the most accurate .22 rifle i ever owned, it has a 4X scope on it.., great feral cat killer, even ground squirrels!! [:D]
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    I love the Ruger 22/45, MKII and MKIII. All are fine firearms for their designed purpose. I think the MKIII is just a bit better because of the mag release.

My Ruger MKII with bull barrel is the best tack driver I have for a handgun with iron sights, but the MKIII mag release is nice.
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For pistols, the Hamden made High Standard Supermatic.

Have a great target pistol and a savings account at the same time.
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    Remington 550-1

Shoot7.jpg

not mine, but this old Remington is the most accurate .22 rifle i ever owned, it has a 4X scope on it.., great feral cat killer, even ground squirrels!! [:D]

try a 541S remington
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave,
    You won't find anything better than what you have, unless of course you decide to go for something like a really nice conversion unit for a 1911. If you do decide on a Mk. III Ruger, make sure you handle one of the new 22/45's with wood grips. I can live with the loaded chamber indicator, though many take them off and either live with the gap or replace it with a dummy plate. Add a Clark steel trigger and one of Sam's Canadian bushings and you have a much nicer trigger pull AND you've lost the magazine disconnect. I've owned a dozen or so High STandards, a Smith 41, all kinds of Rugers, etc. and this little 22/45 is becoming my favorite woods carry .22. Would I trade it for my HD Military or Supermatic, NO, but does sit on the peg closest to the door.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    Remington 550-1

Shoot7.jpg

...I have my dad's 550. With the floating chamber, it shoots short, long and LR. Like most, the shell deflector got lost but I bought a new one when Remington still had parts. That long tube holds a lot of shorts!
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning Belgium Challenger & a Colt Ace. Both are fine shooters.